nite ize headlamp band

ronniepudding

Enlightened
They're ok in a pinch, but I prefer to have the light source in front of my eyes because I wear glasses (glare). There are products similar to this one that have an elastic band, which I sometimes prefer, depending upon the weight of the light.

mickb

Enlightened
They're ok in a pinch, but I prefer to have the light source in front of my eyes because I wear glasses (glare). There are products similar to this one that have an elastic band, which I sometimes prefer, depending upon the weight of the light.

Thanks can the light from a side mounted light also bother your eyes? I assume not as the angle of spill would not be wide enough..?

Can you peovide a link to the other products?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try holding your flashlight where it would be in relation to the various flashlight headbands. I too found glare from the side positions as I have glasses, which counted against the Fenix headband (I really wanted to get as it has many pivot positions) as well as the Nite Ize.

I am currently looking at the Nitecore HB02. It allows for the flashlight to be mounted on either side of the head but also on top. It looks like the top mountings have one fixed band frontwards and the rearward band is movable to compensate for different sizes of flashlights. I would only be using a 1A flashlight in the application so weight & wobble would be minimal.

Does anyone have the Nitecore HB02 and can comment on its usability for a top mounted lamp?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A practical modification that works for me, even with glasses, though it depends on the length of your torch, as to how far out the bezel is in front of your eyes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lGyWdFXM1kg

I have a NiteCore headband. The thick loop on the top strap can be used. You would do well to use a lanyard (or something) to securely attach the light to the top strap. There will be some bouncing, depending on the weight of the light and the quickness and roughness of your movement. The entire NiteCore headband is stretchy elastic, and one size fits all. It was a bit tight for my big head. Much Rather use the more rigid Nite-Ize. I've used an MBI HF with a 10440 body and it will work on the NiteCore top strap because it is so light weight, but my head is rather crowned and the light invariably leans to one side or the other. In addition, a twist-to-activate flashlight can be rather fussy to turn on and off while on the head, with that kind of arrangement.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Thanks can the light from a side mounted light also bother your eyes? I assume not as the angle of spill would not be wide enough..?

Can you provide a link to the other products?

I think they wouldn't bother your eyes so long as you're not wearing glasses. Everyone is different though, so the only way to know for sure is to try it out...

The elastic headband I have has apparently not been sold since the 90s ;) and it was made to work with a mini m@glite, since they were so common then. I use it with my Fenix HL10, because I'm not fond of the stock headband/holder that came with it...

Anywho, here's a link to one I found while browsing-- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvn3ZR_URNA

I can't vouch for that Klarus band, as I have no personal experience with it. From watching the video, it seems like it's made to fit a fairly wide body tube... e.g., a AAA light might not be held in place very well. The NiteIze band is versatile in that regard -- it has two elastic loops (one under the other) to accommodate flashlights of different diameter. But the NiteIze band itself is not at all stretchy... You have to set the cranium diameter sizing using Velcro, and it often takes me a few tries to get it right.

If you don't mind the top strap, the nitecore or Fenix headbands look like they might be more comfortable.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are not ideal to be honest. I recommend the nitecore most of the time but it isn't ideal as it does have bounce but top strap is better for glare.

The niteize, used it for years but the glare meant that it was only for short bursts. A 2AA light works best as you can poke the front out further

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks fellas I am picking up they can work okay but I might consider a dedicated headlamp instead.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What flashlight were you considering using with the headband?

I kind of get where you are coming from on this. I have a great 1AA flashlight that has all the modes and brightness I like, but there is not really an equivalent headlamp with equivalent modes. I have a cheapie headlamp and while it doesn't have the modes I like it does an OK job. Not having to hold on to the light all when you want to be hands free really has merit sometimes. Something like a Zebralight has good modes, removable to be hand held, and a decent reputation would be an avenue I would consider if I were to start over.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fellas I am picking up they can work okay but I might consider a dedicated headlamp instead.

That will also depend on the headlamp but generally they are better.

Alternatively, a baseball cap and a not so heavy light works quite well.

mickb

Enlightened
I decided to go with a headlamp and got the hefty Petzl Pixa 2. Nothing too fancy lumens wise but will serve as backup to my EDC light and also my backpacking 'tent lantern' being able to sit on its base and good runtimes with 2xAA.