ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Malkoff MDC AA

Default Your thoughts on Malkoff MDC AA

I have recently come across this light and wanted to see what your thoughts and experiences were with it. The one I'm interested in is the one that is currently listed on their website, 3 modes low low, low, high. I'm also trying to figure out how big it is,( in comparison to other single AA lights like a Fenix LD11), what the output levels are, and how the mode switching works exactly (soft press to advance or must click off\on. Look forward to hearing your opinions are experience with this light. Thanks!

Default Re: Your thoughts on Malkoff MDC AA

Per the Fenix site, the LD11 is 3.9" long and the diameter of the head is .85". Per the Malkoff site, the MDC AA is 4.5" and 1.0" - so a little bigger. The output levels of the MDC AA are .3, 9 and 115 lumens. The light uses on time to determine switching. So you must click off. The McClicky is a momentary on switch. I don't have the MDC AA but I have other MDC lights (cool white li-ion and 219B 3V) and like them a lot. The beam profile is very nice - a hot spot with a lot of spill. Very robust lights, great customer service and true specifications (lumens and runtime).

Thanks yoyoman! Anyone else out there own the AA version??

I had a couple of the CR123 model. I have my review linked in my sigline. Perhaps it will help some? MDC is a great light!

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    I have recently come across this light and wanted to see what your thoughts and experiences were with it. The one I'm interested in is the one that is currently listed on their website, 3 modes low low, low, high. I'm also trying to figure out how big it is,( in comparison to other single AA lights like a Fenix LD11), what the output levels are, and how the mode switching works exactly (soft press to advance or must click off\on. Look forward to hearing your opinions are experience with this light. Thanks!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4645739
    light on left is the 123 - right is the AA

I own an older AA version MDC (high, low, strobe) and a CR123A MDC.

The AA MDC is considerably thicker and longer than most of my other AA lights so I rarely use it.

The tint and beam pattern on both lights are very good. The tail switch has a quality feel and the fit, finish, and robustness of the lights in general is superior.

Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

I have one that is fairly old - it serves as my truck light because I know it'll work. As has been mentioned, good tint, nice beam shape, well made, good clicky switch. NBP called it the "poor man's Haiku". I run a 14500 cell in mine and it's quite bright.

I have the MDC AA. yoyoman was spot on with the specs, so I won't repeat them. I like lights, especially 1xAA lights, with moonlight/low low modes. That's the main reason I picked up the MDC AA (plus the fact that I love my Malkoff MD2). It's a fairly simple, no frills, bulletproof light with 3 usable modes. Soft press to advance modes, click on for constant. There is no mode memory (it will always come on in low low). Voltage range on mine is 1-2 volts...I usually run Eneloops. It's not the smallest AA I own, but definitely the most overbuilt. I have no doubt that it will outlive me.

I'll be honest, mine only gets sporadic use, but for some reason I can't part with it. It won't break any output records, but for a solid, reliable utility light it's hard to beat.

Ahhhh now this is what I've been looking for. Thanks for the responses everyone. I know I would love the solid feel and the sub lumen low mode...just not sure about the overall size of it. Anyone know of side by side shots with other popular 1xaa lights? Even better, if someone is up to loaning one out to me so I can get a feel for it I would be much obliged. Again any other impressions are welcome and appreciated!

I have MDC 2AA. I posted my comments here before, and I will repeat them briefly here:
    Negatives:
    1. three notches on the head will project into the beam. This you will never see from any other popular cheap Chinese made AA lights. You may tolerate it or hate it. I hate it in the beginning, but now I can tolerate it since the other aspects of Malkoff lights are so good.
    2. body without effective knurling or notches, so quite slippy. I still dislike it but since the head is quite big compared with body and the clip will also help carry so this negative point is OK to go with.
    3. AA I remember is without opposite protection. But 2AA is with.
    4. AA I think cannot tail stand perfectly. But 2AA can.

Positive:
    1. Yes, it's a poorman's Haiku. I have a Haiku, so I totally understand it. The reflector comes from McGizmo, but a less quality version compared with Haiku. The tail button also comes from McGizmo, I can see no differences.
    2. So very good beam except those three ugly notches
    3. very good tail button operation
    4. even better modes without memory, better than Haiku
    5. Solid body, tank like, even it is a little slippy
    6. you can switch the body/head with Haiku. But I don't see a preference to do it since the style is so different and the combination is sucking ugly.

Due to those two extra negative points of AA compared with 2AA, I recommend 2AA instead, especially the tail stand function if you need it.

Generally speaking, Malkoff MDC AA/2AA are very good lights, very different to Chinese designs. They are definitely worthy of your try, especially if you are in USA and do not need to pay for the additional taxes and shipping costs.

I really want to try with more Malkoff lights, but the taxes and shipping cost to Europe is so high barring me away. Pity I cannot find some dealers in EU.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyro View Post
    I have MDC 2AA. I posted my comments here before, and I will repeat them briefly here:
    Negatives:
    1. three notches on the head will project into the beam. This you will never see from any other popular cheap Chinese made AA lights. You may tolerate it or hate it. I hate it in the beginning, but now I can tolerate it since the other aspects of Malkoff lights are so good.
    2. body without effective knurling or notches, so quite slippy. I still dislike it but since the head is quite big compared with body and the clip will also help carry so this negative point is OK to go with.
    3. AA I remember is without opposite protection. But 2AA is with.
    4. AA I think cannot tail stand perfectly. But 2AA can.

Positive:
    1. Yes, it's a poorman's Haiku. I have a Haiku, so I totally understand it. The reflector comes from McGizmo, but a less quality version compared with Haiku. The tail button also comes from McGizmo, I can see no differences.
    2. So very good beam except those three ugly notches
    3. very good tail button operation
    4. even better modes without memory, better than Haiku
    5. Solid body, tank like, even it is a little slippy
    6. you can switch the body/head with Haiku. But I don't see a preference to do it since the style is so different and the combination is sucking ugly.

Due to those two extra negative points of AA compared with 2AA, I recommend 2AA instead, especially the tail stand function if you need it.

Generally speaking, Malkoff MDC AA/2AA are very good lights, very different to Chinese designs. They are definitely worthy of your try, especially if you are in USA and do not need to pay for the additional taxes and shipping costs.

I really want to try with more Malkoff lights, but the taxes and shipping cost to Europe is so high barring me away. Pity I cannot find some dealers in EU.
    Thanks for your comments rickyro! I'm very close to going for a single AA MDC but I can't find the lumen output for each level stated anywhere. Anyone know what the levels are for the current 1xaa MDC?

Malkoff website lists 0.3/9/115 lumens ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Just now saw that, lol, thank you sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Malkoff website lists 0.3/9/115 lumens ....

I've been curious about them for years but the inability to tail stand has kept my wallet safe.
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

It is true that they won't tail stand very well while sitting in the middle of a table. I've yet to come across a situation in which I wasn't able to situate the light on a table/counter edge or some other handy object to allow it to tail stand.

Your wallet's been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    It is true that they won't tail stand very well while sitting in the middle of a table. I've yet to come across a situation in which I wasn't able to situate the light on a table/counter edge or some other handy object to allow it to tail stand.

Your wallet's been warned.
    Clip is removable if tail stand takes precedence over clipping to your pocket.

And with just a wee bit of metalarlogy the round portion of the clip that protrudes past the light can be flattened....or moved towards the head.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-20-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    John 3:16

Or another clip can be purchased and installed.

Tailstanding is an absolute must for me. I have CR123 model and planned to mount a McGizmo clip on it but tried the clip from a Streamlight ProTac 2L and it works perfectly. Extremely secure. Pocket carries great, excellent added grip and tailstands. I think you can buy these clips online for less than $5. Love my MDC. Not the most powerful light but just really well built with great beam and a simple no bs UI. Think McGizmo Haiku-lite. Though unlike the Haiku these are fully potted and have contact springs at both ends of the battery compartment. Sometimes when I would tailstand my Haiku and set it down it would switch modes inadvertently. MDC won't do that no matter how hard you slam it.

Last edited by JWRitchie76; 01-20-2016 at 02:10 PM.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Tailstand is a must for me as well. The clip and the overall size are the only things holding me back. Well that and the fact that I caved and ordered a Quark Click last night.

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    Tailstanding is an absolute must for me. I have CR123 model and planned to mount a McGizmo clip on it but tried the clip from a Streamlight ProTac 2L and it works perfectly. Extremely secure. Pocket carries great, excellent added grip and tailstands. I think you can buy these clips online for less than $5. Love my MDC. Not the most powerful light but just really well built with great beam and a simple no bs UI. Think McGizmo Haiku-lite. Though unlike the Haiku these are fully potted and have contact springs at both ends of the battery compartment. Sometimes when I would tailstand my Haiku and set it down it would switch modes inadvertently. MDC won't do that no matter how hard you slam it.

You my friend just cost me about $125....
    I'm so getting one now...so I have a use for the clip I have stashed...thanks for the tip.

Edit:
    Well there was that wait until ground hog day to buy another light new years resolution thing...besides my 3P clone hasn't arrived yet..but I'm gettin' one at some point.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-20-2016 at 05:35 PM.

[QUOTE=JWRitchie76;4824437]Tailstanding is an absolute must for me. I have CR123 model and planned to mount a McGizmo clip on it but tried the clip from a Streamlight ProTac 2L and it works perfectly. Extremely secure. Pocket carries great, excellent added grip and tailstands. I think you can buy these clips online for less than $5. Love my MDC. Not the most powerful light but just really well built with great beam and a simple no bs UI. Think McGizmo Haiku-lite. Though unlike the Haiku these are fully potted and have contact springs at both ends of the battery compartment. Sometimes when I would tailstand my Haiku and set it down it would switch modes inadvertently. MDC won't do that no matter how hard you slam it.

[/Q
    See that r123 size looks like it would be much better in hand. That looks to be more the size of an average AA light. Thanks again everyone. Ya'lls responses really helped with my decision.
    Last edited by gurdygurds; 01-20-2016 at 05:55 PM.

A microstream it aint. But it can disappear in the pocket of loose fitting trousers easily.

The mdc is definitely not going to disappear in the pocket like most 1xaa lights will. I have the 16650 version and it's similar in size to the aa, except for the length I think. And it feels bulkier in pocket than most of my small 18650 lights due to the large head diameter. Also I went with that size because tail stand is a must and mine has the non deep carry clip. I would say overall if you want an indestructible light with very usable output and perfect smooth operation every time then you'll like it. If you want the aa for the size you probably won't be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    Or another clip can be purchased and installed.
    I too have been looking at this light for sometime now but hate the pocket clip. anyone know if you can replace the clip with the overready pocket clip with the provided screws or will you have to mod it? How about the Haiku pocket clip? Just looks very nice and functional with the other pocket clip.

Hole spacing isn't the same for McGizmo. Not sure about Oveready. Also the screw size is smaller than McGizmo 4/40 screws. I have drilled and tapped a MDC to mount a McGizmo clip in the past. I was going to do it with my current light but the Streamlight option works so dang good I don't have a reason to right now.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    Hole spacing isn't the same for McGizmo. Not sure about Oveready. Also the screw size is smaller than McGizmo 4/40 screws. I have drilled and tapped a MDC to mount a McGizmo clip in the past. I was going to do it with my current light but the Streamlight option works so dang good I don't have a reason to right now.
    Well darn, I may have to try the Streamlight Protac 2L pocket clip then. Thanks.

i thought i would leave a comment hear! just placed my order on the malkoff sight for this MDC-CR123 version of this light,but i see they have changed the pocket clip on this light! its no longer a deep-carry of witch i did like,i think that Mr.malkoff has listened to people saying they couldn't tail stand this light because of the clip!i would have liked the older one,but thats o-kay with me because i'll probably be changing,and adding the streamlight protac 2L)if i can get one!this is what happens when i spend to much time hanging around this place!i spend to much money!!i see new stuff and up buying it,that ant good.

Nice! I'm sure you'll love it. Post your thoughts on the light once you've had some time with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blanex1 View Post
    i thought i would leave a comment hear! just placed my order on the malkoff sight for this MDC-CR123 version of this light,but i see they have changed the pocket clip on this light! its no longer a deep-carry of witch i did like,i think that Mr.malkoff has listened to people saying they couldn't tail stand this light because of the clip!i would have liked the older one,but thats o-kay with me because i'll probably be changing,and adding the streamlight protac 2L)if i can get one!this is what happens when i spend to much time hanging around this place!i spend to much money!!i see new stuff and up buying it,that ant good.

To wake this thread up a bit,
    Does MDC have low voltage protection? If I put a rechargeable in it, will it fry it, or just stop working at a certain voltage level?
    Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Edit: Water resistance? No info on that also.
    Last edited by pantagana23; 06-22-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pantagana23 View Post
    To wake this thread up a bit,
    Does MDC have low voltage protection? If I put a rechargeable in it, will it fry it, or just stop working at a certain voltage level?
    Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Edit: Water resistance? No info on that also.
    i can only chime in for water resistance . i had a mdc 1xaa clipped to my pocket when i went for light swimming and held up very well. didn't have water seep in . other than that it has been dunked at work in water and splashed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast