Your thoughts on Malkoff MDC AA

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently come across this light and wanted to see what your thoughts and experiences were with it. The one I'm interested in is the one that is currently listed on their website, 3 modes low low, low, high. I'm also trying to figure out how big it is,( in comparison to other single AA lights like a Fenix LD11), what the output levels are, and how the mode switching works exactly (soft press to advance or must click off\on. Look forward to hearing your opinions are experience with this light. Thanks!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Per the Fenix site, the LD11 is 3.9" long and the diameter of the head is .85". Per the Malkoff site, the MDC AA is 4.5" and 1.0" - so a little bigger. The output levels of the MDC AA are .3, 9 and 115 lumens. The light uses on time to determine switching. So you must click off. The McClicky is a momentary on switch. I don't have the MDC AA but I have other MDC lights (cool white li-ion and 219B 3V) and like them a lot. The beam profile is very nice - a hot spot with a lot of spill. Very robust lights, great customer service and true specifications (lumens and runtime).

nbp

Flashaholic
I had a couple of the CR123 model. I have my review linked in my sigline. Perhaps it will help some? MDC is a great light!

timbo114

Enlightened
I have recently come across this light and wanted to see what your thoughts and experiences were with it. The one I'm interested in is the one that is currently listed on their website, 3 modes low low, low, high. I'm also trying to figure out how big it is,( in comparison to other single AA lights like a Fenix LD11), what the output levels are, and how the mode switching works exactly (soft press to advance or must click off\on. Look forward to hearing your opinions are experience with this light. Thanks!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...in-the-works&p=4645739&viewfull=1#post4645739
light on left is the 123 - right is the AA

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an older AA version MDC (high, low, strobe) and a CR123A MDC.

The AA MDC is considerably thicker and longer than most of my other AA lights so I rarely use it.

The tint and beam pattern on both lights are very good. The tail switch has a quality feel and the fit, finish, and robustness of the lights in general is superior.

malkoff-mdc-ha-1aa.jpg

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that is fairly old - it serves as my truck light because I know it'll work. As has been mentioned, good tint, nice beam shape, well made, good clicky switch. NBP called it the "poor man's Haiku". I run a 14500 cell in mine and it's quite bright.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
I have the MDC AA. yoyoman was spot on with the specs, so I won't repeat them. I like lights, especially 1xAA lights, with moonlight/low low modes. That's the main reason I picked up the MDC AA (plus the fact that I love my Malkoff MD2). It's a fairly simple, no frills, bulletproof light with 3 usable modes. Soft press to advance modes, click on for constant. There is no mode memory (it will always come on in low low). Voltage range on mine is 1-2 volts...I usually run Eneloops. It's not the smallest AA I own, but definitely the most overbuilt. I have no doubt that it will outlive me.

I'll be honest, mine only gets sporadic use, but for some reason I can't part with it. It won't break any output records, but for a solid, reliable utility light it's hard to beat.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh now this is what I've been looking for. Thanks for the responses everyone. I know I would love the solid feel and the sub lumen low mode...just not sure about the overall size of it. Anyone know of side by side shots with other popular 1xaa lights? Even better, if someone is up to loaning one out to me so I can get a feel for it I would be much obliged. Again any other impressions are welcome and appreciated!

rickyro

Enlightened
I have MDC 2AA. I posted my comments here before, and I will repeat them briefly here:
Negatives:
1. three notches on the head will project into the beam. This you will never see from any other popular cheap Chinese made AA lights. You may tolerate it or hate it. I hate it in the beginning, but now I can tolerate it since the other aspects of Malkoff lights are so good.
2. body without effective knurling or notches, so quite slippy. I still dislike it but since the head is quite big compared with body and the clip will also help carry so this negative point is OK to go with.
3. AA I remember is without opposite protection. But 2AA is with.
4. AA I think cannot tail stand perfectly. But 2AA can.

Positive:
1. Yes, it's a poorman's Haiku. I have a Haiku, so I totally understand it. The reflector comes from McGizmo, but a less quality version compared with Haiku. The tail button also comes from McGizmo, I can see no differences.
2. So very good beam except those three ugly notches
3. very good tail button operation
4. even better modes without memory, better than Haiku
5. Solid body, tank like, even it is a little slippy
6. you can switch the body/head with Haiku. But I don't see a preference to do it since the style is so different and the combination is sucking ugly.

Due to those two extra negative points of AA compared with 2AA, I recommend 2AA instead, especially the tail stand function if you need it.

Generally speaking, Malkoff MDC AA/2AA are very good lights, very different to Chinese designs. They are definitely worthy of your try, especially if you are in USA and do not need to pay for the additional taxes and shipping costs.

I really want to try with more Malkoff lights, but the taxes and shipping cost to Europe is so high barring me away. Pity I cannot find some dealers in EU.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have MDC 2AA. I posted my comments here before, and I will repeat them briefly here:
Negatives:
1. three notches on the head will project into the beam. This you will never see from any other popular cheap Chinese made AA lights. You may tolerate it or hate it. I hate it in the beginning, but now I can tolerate it since the other aspects of Malkoff lights are so good.
2. body without effective knurling or notches, so quite slippy. I still dislike it but since the head is quite big compared with body and the clip will also help carry so this negative point is OK to go with.
3. AA I remember is without opposite protection. But 2AA is with.
4. AA I think cannot tail stand perfectly. But 2AA can.

Positive:
1. Yes, it's a poorman's Haiku. I have a Haiku, so I totally understand it. The reflector comes from McGizmo, but a less quality version compared with Haiku. The tail button also comes from McGizmo, I can see no differences.
2. So very good beam except those three ugly notches
3. very good tail button operation
4. even better modes without memory, better than Haiku
5. Solid body, tank like, even it is a little slippy
6. you can switch the body/head with Haiku. But I don't see a preference to do it since the style is so different and the combination is sucking ugly.

Due to those two extra negative points of AA compared with 2AA, I recommend 2AA instead, especially the tail stand function if you need it.

Generally speaking, Malkoff MDC AA/2AA are very good lights, very different to Chinese designs. They are definitely worthy of your try, especially if you are in USA and do not need to pay for the additional taxes and shipping costs.

I really want to try with more Malkoff lights, but the taxes and shipping cost to Europe is so high barring me away. Pity I cannot find some dealers in EU.
Thanks for your comments rickyro! I'm very close to going for a single AA MDC but I can't find the lumen output for each level stated anywhere. Anyone know what the levels are for the current 1xaa MDC?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been curious about them for years but the inability to tail stand has kept my wallet safe.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is true that they won't tail stand very well while sitting in the middle of a table. I've yet to come across a situation in which I wasn't able to situate the light on a table/counter edge or some other handy object to allow it to tail stand.

Your wallet's been warned. :devil:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It is true that they won't tail stand very well while sitting in the middle of a table. I've yet to come across a situation in which I wasn't able to situate the light on a table/counter edge or some other handy object to allow it to tail stand.

Your wallet's been warned. :devil:

Clip is removable if tail stand takes precedence over clipping to your pocket.

And with just a wee bit of metalarlogy the round portion of the clip that protrudes past the light can be flattened....or moved towards the head.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailstanding is an absolute must for me. I have CR123 model and planned to mount a McGizmo clip on it but tried the clip from a Streamlight ProTac 2L and it works perfectly. Extremely secure. Pocket carries great, excellent added grip and tailstands. I think you can buy these clips online for less than $5. Love my MDC. Not the most powerful light but just really well built with great beam and a simple no bs UI. Think McGizmo Haiku-lite. ;) Though unlike the Haiku these are fully potted and have contact springs at both ends of the battery compartment. Sometimes when I would tailstand my Haiku and set it down it would switch modes inadvertently. MDC won't do that no matter how hard you slam it.

2a3e4566bd6c2db67966331a2a99353a.jpg

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailstand is a must for me as well. The clip and the overall size are the only things holding me back. Well that and the fact that I caved and ordered a Quark Click last night.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Tailstanding is an absolute must for me. I have CR123 model and planned to mount a McGizmo clip on it but tried the clip from a Streamlight ProTac 2L and it works perfectly. Extremely secure. Pocket carries great, excellent added grip and tailstands. I think you can buy these clips online for less than $5. Love my MDC. Not the most powerful light but just really well built with great beam and a simple no bs UI. Think McGizmo Haiku-lite. ;) Though unlike the Haiku these are fully potted and have contact springs at both ends of the battery compartment. Sometimes when I would tailstand my Haiku and set it down it would switch modes inadvertently. MDC won't do that no matter how hard you slam it.

2a3e4566bd6c2db67966331a2a99353a.jpg

You my friend just cost me about $125....
I'm so getting one now...so I have a use for the clip I have stashed...thanks for the tip.

Edit:
Well there was that wait until ground hog day to buy another light new years resolution thing...besides my 3P clone hasn't arrived yet..but I'm gettin' one at some point.

Last edited: