British Ever Ready 'low filament' bulbs

Minimoog

Enlightened
Many older Ever Ready lights in the UK (and maybe Europe too) were built around the low filament bulb. This has no bead, and the tungsten sits so low that sometimes it looks like it is missing. See https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbdobi9bvlz5ph0/DSC_0332.jpg?dl=0 for one extinguished and https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jagcrqrvmenrs1/DSC_0335.jpg?dl=0 for one lit. Now in my time repairing, restoring and rejuvenating older torches I often find they need a new bulb, but fitting newer models or LED gives a bad result as the light source is way off in the reflector. Was there a standard for filament height?

I was wondering if anyone knows of an LED replacement that is suitably 'low' by design? The few I have ordered are WAY too high and just give a black hole and fitted to the common No.8 Bullseye the beam is so wide as to be useless. As the low filament bulbs are decades (stopped in the early 1950's) old, new stock is hard to find now. Back in the 80's you could ask in the electronics shop for a 'low' and they had some set aside, otherwise you got a 'high' which was the new type (1950's on). All those sorts of shops have closed now...

As the bulbs are screw in, it makes shimming almost impossible sadly, but I would really like to find a way around. One thing I have tried is to pull the globe from a 'high', grind down the metal thread and re-stick the glass, but it is incredibly hard to do and fraught with failure. I'd love a 'low' bi-pin adaptor but I can't see that being produced.

Any input welcome - I can't see mention of this previously.

Minimoog

Enlightened
OK, I thought I was out on a limb here - and I don't suppose you had 'low' across the pond. So I have found a way around the problem after mulling hard - as follows:

1. Remove old globe from any bulb.
2. Using a cutter wheel, remove 3mm of the top of the bulb metalwork and deburr.
3. Use a bi-pin Mag bulb of choice (I use 5D to run 2x18350 setup).
4. Add a short length of copper wire to one bulb pin and bend around the bulb so it is facing upwards - this will be used for the can connection.
5. Push the other pin down through the base of the bulb and solder.
6. Solder the side can connection - just a small amount mind.
7. Make sure bulb is central and you are happy with the beam - then secure the Mag bulb in the holder using a little white silicone.
8. Switch on and admire the beam!

Minimoog

Enlightened
Glad you figured out a solution!

Thanks, yes so am I. Nothing like no replies to get the initiative working. The nice thing about the new Mag bulbs is that they can fit into these old bulbs quite easily so you can update the oldest torches to the latest style lamps. AND you can centre them perfectly in the reflector for a perfect beam (some of the reflectors are a bit off centre with regards to the bulb holder.)