SC32 vs. SC5 for EDC?

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
I don't see many folks giving love to the ZL SC32 as I thought I might. It is only 2.6" long, yet puts out nearly 500 lumens. The SC5 seems to be in more pockets on CPF, yet is longer with not much more output.

I love my SC62 and have a SC63 (and EC11 btw) on order, but was thinking that the SC32 would be the better route (vs the SC5) because it is so small.

Where am I going wrong?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like my sc32w very much. My only problem with it is it is actually too short for me to handle comfortably..and I have small hands. I find the sc62w more comfortable to handle and even feels better in my pocket.

Excellent light with rcr123. In my opinion (and many differ) the current draw of H1 with primary CR123A is too high. I use it only with li ion or if I use primary I use H2 as max output.

My sc32w is right next to me on the couch and I grab it whenever I need a flashlight to use in the playroom. I love the ui.

tonkem

Enlightened
I have both the SC32 and SC52. I prefer the additional length of the 52 over the 32, but appreciate the higher energy of the 123 in the 32. All personal preference. My daughter carries the 32, and she loves it for its tiny size and easy purse carry.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone else has already said it, but all of this personal preference. I own an SC31 and its a great little light, but like a couple of others here I don't find it very easy to handle because its almost too small. Its a really stumpy little thing. I also own an SC5 and I have the opposite issue with it - I find it too large for what it is. Its a very thick light for being AA-sized. I think the only reason to pick this light is for the power source. If you're looking for something to really impress on AA or Eneloops then that's the light to choose. But if we're sticking to your original question I'd probably choose the SC5 over the '32.

If I can step outside of your original constraints, for me the SC62 is the perfect size. Its only slightly larger than the SC5 but has all the added benefits of being 18650-powered. Of course its been superceded by the '63 now and I haven't had that one yet, but I'm sure it'll be great, too.

markr6

Flashaholic
I find it too large for what it is. Its a very thick light for being AA-sized.

No kidding! It's built like a TANK. Usually I would like that, but with the 1xAA format, I like to skimp as much as possible on bulk and weight. (i.e. L11 or L11C)

I really don't use my SC5w at all, almost to the point of selling it. But it's a great light; just doesn't really fill any requirement for me personally.

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys, I was considering trying either one out, but think I'll stick with the SC62 and wait on the SC63. I did groupbuy the EC11, so I will have a smaller light to see how I like that.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both, the SC32 I gave to my dad for Father's Day because he needed a new keychain light. It is smaller than his old light but much brighter, he absolutely loves it! It's a super compact, small light and the beam pattern is perfect for its size. Not too much throw and not too floody. The SC5 is great also for the convenience of Eneloop/AA batteries. I have the SC5fd which is my favorite around the house light. The diffuse beam is great for reading at night in the dark (my wife takes it and uses it for that) and for general close up or short range applications. The regular SC5 lights are great also and it really depends on what cell format you prefer. One thing for sure the SC5 is built well which I like.

tops2

Enlightened
Personally, I'm also finding the SC5w to be a bit too large and too heavy for EDC. While not the same as the SC32, I just got my Olight S1 and it'll probably become my permanent EDC light 99% of the time when not travelling.

That said, I still love my SC5w but it may become the light I use at home of if I have a bag to bring it in. When travelling, the SC5w will be my EDC light for the ability to use AA.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the SC32w and SC5w. And for EDC, the SC32w is the winner. You just can't beat a light that is little bigger than a thumb that puts out close to 500 lumens and easily fits into the coin pocket of a pair of jeans. The SC5w in comparison just feels clunky. The SC32w also has the advantage that it has PID control at maximum brightness rather than the three minute timer stepdown that the SC5w uses. So although the maximum brightness is rated lower, it can maintain a higher level of brightness for a longer time. The fact that current draw on a 16340 will be MUCH less at maximum power than the current draw on a AA also helps in this regard. And to top it off, the fact that you can use a 16340 means that you can carry a small, inexpensive charger (like the Xtar MC0) in your car or keep one in the office so that you never have to worry about dead batteries. You can even bring one on a backpacking trip to charge with a solar panel. Yes, the capacity of 16340s is not very good. But the SC32w is actually a VERY efficient light. It makes good use of the energy available in a 16340 (probably because it doesn't have to compromise in order to run AA batteries), and runti,e is not bad when all things are considered.

On the other hand, the SC5w may not 'disappear' in your pocket the way that the SC32w does. But its size and heft actually feels better in your hand if you are going to be carrying the light. And if you just don't like Li-Ion batteries or just want a light that can use AA batteries, the SC5w is a no-brainer. The SC5w also has a longer runtime at a given level of brightness. And as a fringe benefit, the Fenix AOD-S diffuser fits the light perfectly. With this diffuser, the SC5w actually makes quite a nice little camping lantern.

As for why the SC5w is a more popular EDC, I'm guessing it's because of the general dislike people have for the CR123a format. CR123a primaries tend to be somewhat expensive in stores and hard to find. And ordering disposable batteries online is a pain. Rechargeable options are available, and the SC32w works well with these 3.7V Li-Ion batteries. But capacity is low, which limits runtime. I suspect that, if better 16340s became available, CR123a lights might become more popular. Given the energy density of current 18650s and even 16650s, it is entirely possible to make a 16340 with over 1000mAH. But we seem to be stuck at around 500-600mAH.

Last edited:

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
I have both the SC32w and SC5w. And for EDC, the SC32w is the winner. You just can't beat a light that is little bigger than a thumb that puts out close to 500 lumens and easily fits into the coin pocket of a pair of jeans. The SC5w in comparison just feels clunky. The SC32w also has the advantage that it has PID control at maximum brightness rather than the three minute timer stepdown that the SC5w uses. So although the maximum brightness is rated lower, it can maintain a higher level of brightness for a longer time. The fact that current draw on a 16340 will be MUCH less at maximum power than the current draw on a AA also helps in this regard. And to top it off, the fact that you can use a 16340 means that you can carry a small, inexpensive charger (like the Xtar MC0) in your car or keep one in the office so that you never have to worry about dead batteries. You can even bring one on a backpacking trip to charge with a solar panel. Yes, the capacity of 16340s is not very good. But the SC32w is actually a VERY efficient light. It makes good use of the energy available in a 16340 (probably because it doesn't have to compromise in order to run AA batteries), and runti,e is not bad when all things are considered.

On the other hand, the SC5w may not 'disappear' in your pocket the way that the SC32w does. But its size and heft actually feels better in your hand if you are going to be carrying the light. And if you just don't like Li-Ion batteries or just want a light that can use AA batteries, the SC5w is a no-brainer. The SC5w also has a longer runtime at a given level of brightness. And as a fringe benefit, the Fenix AOD-S diffuser fits the light perfectly. With this diffuser, the SC5w actually makes quite a nice little camping lantern.

As for why the SC5w is a more popular EDC, I'm guessing it's because of the general dislike people have for the CR123a format. CR123a primaries tend to be somewhat expensive in stores and hard to find. And ordering disposable batteries online is a pain. Rechargeable options are available, and the SC32w works well with these 3.7V Li-Ion batteries. But capacity is low, which limits runtime. I suspect that, if better 16340s became available, CR123a lights might become more popular. Given the energy density of current 18650s and even 16650s, it is entirely possible to make a 16340 with over 1000mAH. But we seem to be stuck at around 500-600mAH.

Thank you for the very thorough breakdown! That helps a lot!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Personally, I'm also finding the SC5w to be a bit too large and too heavy for EDC. While not the same as the SC32, I just got my Olight S1 and it'll probably become my permanent EDC light 99% of the time when not travelling.

That said, I still love my SC5w but it may become the light I use at home of if I have a bag to bring it in. When travelling, the SC5w will be my EDC light for the ability to use AA.
Why would you prefer s1 to sc32w? I think the Zebralight is head and shoulders better. Not even close. Better ui by far.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is the sc5 good with lithium primary? I hate recharging eneloops.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Why do you hate recharging Eneloops may I ask? The SC5 is best with Eneloops by the sounds of HK's review.
I have a crappy charger that gets hot and I am too cheap and use too few eneloops to buy a good charger.

tops2

Enlightened
Why would you prefer s1 to sc32w? I think the Zebralight is head and shoulders better. Not even close. Better ui by far.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have the Zebralight SC5w and Olight S1, but don't have SC32.

The original post seemed to have some concern about the size of of the SC5 so I was mostly making the comparison that SC5w is a bit large and a lot heavy to me in comparison to smaller lights like the S1 (and SC32). I like the S1 a lot too mostly for the size and weight difference. For the light levels I see on the S1, I don't mind not having the customization of levels a la Zebralight.

I'm sure I'll love the SC32w also if I were ever to get one. The size is also small and light. I really like the Zebralight UI. Aside from the size and weight, I like my SC5w a lot better than my S1. But since the S1 personally still satisfies me, I'd rather use the funds for the bigger MKIII or the SC63. =)

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC32w is more than 2x the cost of the S1 as well (group buy anyway), something to consider I guess.

Not really(maybe group buy but not normal light stores). $64 for the ZL vs. $49 for the Olight

There is a reason for the extra $15 though. Zebralight have far more advanced drivers with a more complex and programmable UI, much better emitter options, a higher quality button, better anodizing, and a screwed on clip. You cant even get neutral white with the S1 unless you go to the special editions like the S1 Titanium and then your up to $79 and still get an inferior emitter, all the other shortcomings, and an acrylic lens for $15 more.

ZL is a great value if you ask me and in a different class then Olight

Last edited: