polarised prescription sunglasses

beerwax

Enlightened
hi all.

i have a new pair of polarised prescription (progressive) wrap around style sunglasses .
the polarizing isnt consistent across the lens, being good in the middle, but apparently weaker and seemingly of a different orientation in patchs either side.

which seems odd to me.

so , i seek to understand.

things like construction method(s), and how to assess the lens might be places to start.

cheers - wax

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an expert, but my polarized prescription lenses have been a polarizing film applied to the front surface of the lens. If mine had your issues I'd consider returning them.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The polarizing is best at a narrow angle, polarizing becomes wavy at wide angles, what you have observed is typical!!

beerwax

Enlightened
hi gary.

just looking to understand the lenses. it may be that that the bending and stretching involved in making a wraparound progressive lens always produces this result.

beerwax

Enlightened
hi smoke,

when i look at the glare off the water, the centre 1/3rd of the lens is nicely filtered, but i get glare to either side, if i rotate my head 90 degrees the glare at the sides decreases, the middle admits some glare, and i look a bit odd.