Help finding super tight focus zoomable flashlight? Suggestion?

nerys

Newly Enlightened
I deliver pizza for a living so a good flashlight is important at night I have been trying different flashlights getting a flashlight that is bright enough is easy the $10 beast from Home Depot during Christmas holidays is plenty bright enough light up the whole damn house

What I need however is a super super tight low leakage spot beam so I can light up house numbers without leaking 1000 lumens through people's windows and doors

I found some cheap $3 zoomable flashlights from China they write on one Double A or a 14500 cell claim of 600 lumens well not even close more like 75 to 100 lumens maybe 125 with the 14500 cell

The quality is also unreliable one of them is almost purple light but they do have something I really really want a super super tight focus these things focus so tight that the actual project an image of the LED emitter on the wall clear enough for you to actually see the circuit layout even at 50 feet this thing makes a super tight little square of light maybe 12 or 24 inches wide at 50 feet with negligible leakage so I can scan around the house looking for the house number without blowing light into people's windows

I need a suggestion for a good quality flashlight that has this kind of tight focus but a reliable clean white light at least 200 400 lumens reliably brighter is OK I have an $8 flashlight I got from a grocery store by area called Aldi that is quite impressive as well gorgeous clean light decent type focus puts out the rated lumens it appears but it's not quite enough 150 lumens I figure I need about twice that 3x would be even better but the trick is they clean neutral to slightly warm no cool white light with decent quality and a super super tight focus like 12 inches is 50 feet or something close to that

Any suggestions for anything close to that?

Here is a little video of the beam

https://youtu.be/qRAJbI92Sig

Btw kudos to you guys for having the post form save typed content. Doing this from my phone and just about threw it when i came back from getting the youtube link and it reloaded the message list and i thought all that yext was gone. :)

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened

nerys

Newly Enlightened
Ohh that looks nice $40 is cheap if its good.

Can i get the side switch one or is it just end cap switch? (I see both)

I think those are just for size comparison. Prices seem very reasonable to me sent an inquiry. Thank you!

Last edited:

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?402527-SK98vn-amp-SK68vn-SIPIK-Budget-Zoomie

I forgot he also does these zoomie lights as well. I am not aware of any factory quality zoomie style lights. You can order them factory for around 10-15$, but it won't have the tightest beam (if thats an absolute must) and the tint will be very cool. The beam will not be as nice if that is important to you. Also be aware that all of these lights run on lithium ion rechargeable cells. The base price is $40 on the Zray for a single mode, plus probably 10-15$ for the led swap if you want a de domed XPG for the super tight beam. There is a list of options on there. He does allow returns of lights if for any reason you don't like it. I have ordered a handful and yet to return one. But its some peace of mind. Almost forgot, the link above I think he has a smaller zoomie if you want to keep the actual flashlight smaller.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased the Brinyte B158. It's a budget zoomie that has gotten good reviews. See these two by CPF members MHanlen and hanspvik. Mhanlen is running a group buy over at BLF. The coupon code is now public, so anyone can use it (unless it has expired). I paid $22 USD with the coupon. Add another $3.50 for insurance and tracking. Shipping was free.

The B158 has a 50mm aspheric lens that makes for a super-wide flood mode. It is much wider than any other flashlight I own. In spot mode, if focuses down to a close-up rectangle showing the LED.

The B158 is well built, and mod friendly. It uses screw-in pills, so you can quickly change to one of the red or green emitters Brinyte sells. You can also purchase empty brass pills, and mount the driver and emitter of you choice.

The B158 has some problems, as well. While the flood beam is nearly perfect, when focused for spot, you will see a couple of dim rings. Its forward-clicky, tail-cap switch allows for momentary activation. That's good. Because it is a forward clicky, however, you have to select the mode while the flashlight is off. When off, each half-press takes you to the next mode, and turns on the flashlight in momentary mode. When you see the mode you like, click all the way to turn it on. The B158 does have mode memory, so the next time you turn it on, it will remember the mode you were last using. Like many budget lights, the B158 puts its blinky modes on the main sequence. You have to click through them when cycling through modes.

Last edited:

nerys

Newly Enlightened
I ordered as you suggested. He agreed with your suggestion as well so good call. Looking forward to getting it. Will post thoughts feedback review etc..