Flashlight for EMT - Requirements listed

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a Zebralight SC5W? I don't own one but zebralight gets great reviews and has a strong following. The light is 1 inch diameter though. It can be programmed to various outputs for each level and each level can be accessed from off.

bodhran

Enlightened
I have carried the Zebralight SC600 since they were first introduced and other Medics I know have followed my example. The bright floody beam is great for lighting up the scene of an accident or checking an LZ for hazards at night. It tailstands well and have placed it on a dashboard to light up a vehicle as I work up the pt. In a dimly lit room I will do the same on a table or nightstand and it provides plenty of light to treat the pt. Easy one handed access to different levels and a good selection in the strobe, beacon mode. It doesn't fit your size requirements but still small enough. I carry mine in a shirt or cargo pocket comfortably. It's also a great light for home or outdoors. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

masters2010

Newly Enlightened
Do you use the SC600 on moonlight mode for pupillary reflex? I carry an SC62w and about to start on an ambulance, wondering if I need a dedicated penlight.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
An HDS Clicky or Rotary would meet your needs perfectly. Small, light weight (I pocket-carry mine frequently), gives you instant, one-handed access to two modes of your choice from off, and built like a tank so you can rely on it always working. There's also a neutral white high CRI offering if you go the custom route, which I think would be useful for an EMT, and Henry doesn't falsely advertise his specs, so if it says 200 lumens, 4000K, ~93 CRI then that's exactly what you're getting.

Downsides: Uses CR123 (so doesn't meet your AAA preference), and they're rather expensive (but worth it!).

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 fits your exact requirements.

As far as pupils- I have on occasion, used stronger flashlights. Just use the outer part of the beam, moving it slowly towards the eye until you see a reaction- or not.

I used to use a cheap disposable penlight, now i use a malkoff M61N on low and also have a photon attached to my stethoscope- mostly for state inspections.

MX421

Enlightened
A Eagletac D25A meets your requirements and runs off of a AA. I have one, and its a pretty cool light. Reverse clicky that always starts off in low (i give this one to the 2 y/o allot. Its 0.67 and 0.69 inches at the body and head respectively. Only 3.1 inches long and has 121 ANSI rated lumens.

I have a Preon 2 (which is too long for what you want), but based on my experience with that light, I'd say the Preon recommendation above wouldn't be a bad light. For that Preon price though, you can get a Titanium D25A.

I like Zebralights and would agree with those who suggest them. The smallest is the SC52 which runs off of AAs. Don't know if you ever need to work hands free, but you might want to consider a headlamp. The Zebralight H52 would work for that, plus you can clip it to your shirt pocket to light while you work.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well...
A Streamlight ProTac 1aaa is a 70 lumen light that starts on high, strobe second and low 3rd from the tail cap switch.
A 'ten tap' system can change it to high only, or lo/hi if you wish.

It comes with a dual function pocket clip that allows you to clip it light forward or backward when hands free is required.
A single aaa light that is about the size of a aa battery.

They also sell a dedicated EMS light designed for dialating a one pupil while illuminating the other w/o reaction for comparison. It does not meet your request for interface but would be a great addition to a triage bag. Oh, it's a 1 aa.

Edit, both can be had for $40 or less.

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the Eagletac D25A Clicky would fit your requirements almost perfectly. It's AA rather than AAA but I think that's a benefit as you'll get more runtime and the AA is certainly more readily available in a pinch.

With bezel tight, click on to get high. Half click to get strobe.
With bezel loose, click on to get low (which can be really low)

You can also get it with a 219 emitter for some great color rendering. I would guess that could be somewhat important for an EMT.

http://www.illumn.com/eagletac-d25a-clicky-nichia-219.html

freefly

Newly Enlightened

Yep, that one is going to be hard to beat for the stated requirements.

I'd maybe add the Olight I3S EOS to the mix. That gives you a 1xAAA light that is very compact with 3 brightness levels (.5 - 80 lumens), plus strobe. All easily selected by twisting head.
Different body colors available as well (red, blue, gold, etc.). Another advantage is that it has a flat tail cap, so you can tail-stand it. A bit cheaper as well.

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
A strobe is nice to have at an auto accident scene. Useful to keep other traffic informed of ones whereabouts. Or for getting other responders attention.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
Curious as to what the strobe is for?

Rescue signalling and traffic control(like a police car light).

The original reason for strobes before we started wanting them for zombie apocalypse and home defence scenarios :)

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I see I got no response to my question.

Why I asked is that I don't believe there is any "need" for a strobe, as being stated.

Sure, if a light that fulfills your needs HAS a strobe feature, that's great, BUT, if you base your purchase on a light having a strobe feature, I certainly don't get it.

I have over 35 years in EMS and Fire/Rescue, and would never base my purchase on a light having a strobe feature, sure, if it's there GREAT, and I have used it, but it was nothing I couldn't have done without manually "strobing" the light.

As to traffic control, if you're in EMS and find a need to provide that, then get a "traffic wand", etc., and use the correct equipment for the job, NOT a strobe feature on a flashlight.