Surefire EB1 now 300 lumens...

Coup de Grace

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking for a throwy, single cell flashlight with a simple UI.
I hope they keep or improve the optics and with the extra lumens, create a flashlight with even more throw than the previous model.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Good catch, thanks for the news. A nice alternative to the awesome (but way to sharp and jagged) E1D.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with the added lumens is that single primary cell lights cannot hold the max output for very long. It might be 300 lumens for the first 30 seconds, that's about all you would get before the output takes a nose dive. I would rather see a well regulated 200 lumen EB1 than a short burst pocket rocket. The EB1's do have a simple UI, and a bunch of throw on the ones I have personally handled. A surefire E1D led defender is another good option. It's already 300 lumens, and the output decline is not as bad as the EB1's.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with the added lumens is that single primary cell lights cannot hold the max output for very long. It might be 300 lumens for the first 30 seconds, that's about all you would get before the output takes a nose dive. I would rather see a well regulated 200 lumen EB1 than a short burst pocket rocket. The EB1's do have a simple UI, and a bunch of throw on the ones I have personally handled. A surefire E1D led defender is another good option. It's already 300 lumens, and the output decline is not as bad as the EB1's.
Do you have a source of the output charts of both E1D and the 300 lumen EB1?

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reviews of both the EB1 and E1D are on the flashlightguide.com website. The graph of the E1D shows better regulation than the EB1. The E1D holds above 80% for more than a half hour. Not bad. The EB1 is not far behind it. The EB1 graph is harder to interpret, but the E1D definitely has better regulation.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
300 lumen version of the EB1 will likely be more similar to the E1D than the 200 lumen version (previous generation) of the EB1.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reviews of both the EB1 and E1D are on the flashlightguide.com website. The graph of the E1D shows better regulation than the EB1. The E1D holds above 80% for more than a half hour. Not bad. The EB1 is not far behind it. The EB1 graph is harder to interpret, but the E1D definitely has better regulation.

They already reviewed the 300 lumen EB1?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
They already reviewed the 300 lumen EB1?

No review, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 300 lumen EB1 is the exact led and driver of the current E1D. Just bumping it up for those that prefer the toothless EB1. It appears the Tactical tail cap option is gone as well as the Tan colored EB1.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
300 lumen version of the EB1 will likely be more similar to the E1D than the 200 lumen version (previous generation) of the EB1.
No review, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 300 lumen EB1 is the exact led and driver of the current E1D. Just bumping it up for those that prefer the toothless EB1. It appears the Tactical tail cap option is gone as well as the Tan colored EB1.

That sounds more likely. from kyhunter's tone I thought there has already been reviews of the new 300 lumen EB1 that showed a different output graph than the E1D, but he is most likely still thinking about the older EB1. Boy was that an exciting time on CPF when the old EB1 came out :D

In any case I need to pick one up. I already run my 1st gen EB1 head on an E1B body and E2D tailcap so it should be a nice upgrade.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
If anyone learns the ETA on these, please let us know. I sold my last E1D, but I like having at least one 1xCR123 Surefire in the stable, so I was considering buying another E1D because it's the top performer in the lineup. However, I can be talked into an EB1 that performs the same :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I hope not. That would mean less throw than current older eb1.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder why they are discontinuing the tactical tailcap and the tan color. I thought they were selling a lot of those. Well, I hope they decide to reproduce it.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why they are discontinuing the tactical tailcap and the tan color. I thought they were selling a lot of those. Well, I hope they decide to reproduce it.

I agree. I've been meaning to get a tactical version in tan. The tan finish is not as slippery as the black.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also like to see this new light throw , but I am also with kyhunter1 about a well regulated EB1. Don't want a light that can only produce max output for 20-30min

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Browsing the SF2016 Catalog the specs are the same as the E1D at 300 lumens for 1.5hrs, 5 lumens for 40hrs and 9000cd max.

Safe to say, E1D performance in an EB1 toothless body.