Lights with variable battery size & chemistry: pro/con?

KBobAries

Enlightened
After researching single cell AA lights that can run on all battery types I've narrowed my choices to the Fenix LD09 and Nitecore MT10A. I also came across the Nitecore SRT3 (which can use AA or CR123) and these lights started me thinking. Will functionality be negatively affected by the broad range of chemistries, input voltages or battery sizes?

I'm not referring to lumen output. It's an expected and accepted tradeoff to have reduced brightness (between alkaline and 14500) in exchange for an emergency light that can use whatever is available at the time. I also accept that "do-all" lights are a series of compromises in beam quality, run time, UI, output, etc.

I'm more curious to know if the basic functionality/UI will be affected. For example I'd be ok with a strobe intensity that decreases from 200 lumens to 100 when switching from 14500 to alkaline but are there instances in which features are completely disabled? That is to say, strobe works with 14500 but not at all with alkaline?

Are there other things to consider?

Dan

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's obviously going to be some compromises, perhaps an efficiency hit perhaps. However, the flexibility to use multiple chemistries is a huge plus point for me. I have the Nitecore EC11, and I find the power and the red light all tucked up into the same package incredibly useful, and to have the flexibility of AA NiMH and Alkaline chemistry too as you do in the MT10A is just fantastic.

The only downside I can see with 14500s is that it requires the user to be aware of what cell is going into what tool. If you get your NiMHs mixed up with your IMRs, you could end up damaging things when you put the wrong battery in.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's obviously going to be some compromises, perhaps an efficiency hit perhaps. However, the flexibility to use multiple chemistries is a huge plus point for me. I have the Nitecore EC11, and I find the power and the red light all tucked up into the same package incredibly useful, and to have the flexibility of AA NiMH and Alkaline chemistry too as you do in the MT10A is just fantastic.

The only downside I can see with 14500s is that it requires the user to be aware of what cell is going into what tool. If you get your NiMHs mixed up with your IMRs, you could end up damaging things when you put the wrong battery in.

Now if they would just make a neutral white version of the EC11:sigh:. I would like one but not in CW.

KBobAries

Enlightened
...the flexibility to use multiple chemistries is a huge plus point for me...

Your first point was one of my requirements in a replacement for a Nitecore PD10 I somehow managed to ruin. Good second point as well but the Nitecore was my only AA flashlight. My EDC is CR123 and a AA light that eats anything simplifies things for me.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get your NiMHs mixed up with your IMRs, you could end up damaging things when you put the wrong battery in.

This is the reason that even though I own a selection of Li-Ion cells, I don't own any 14500 cells. My only rechargeable AA cells are NiMH.

Regarding different battery types in one light, I recently got a Fenix CL20 "lantern" that will either take 1xCR123a, or 2xAA. One of the reasons I got it was that it has this versatility.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the two lights that you've named, the only loss is in lumens and run time when you go between different chemistries and form factors.

The only lights I'm soon to have that can accept alkaline, NiMH, and LiIon batteries is the Firefly titanium. I purchased 4 cells just for it's use.

Other than that, my only AA powered lights (Fenix TK41) can use NiMH, alkaline and primary lithium batteries.