Flashlight magazines or books?

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
I'm still a little overwhelmed by all this mess and I was just currious how all of you guys seam to know about all this flashlight mess....is there something I'm missing or did it all evolve through the boards?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think for me anyway, that CPF has been a large source (the main source, in my experience) of flashlight information. I've never read any flashlight books or magazines.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
GQGeek81, you see that modest guy with the funny hair that just posted? Do yourself a favor and go check out his site. You'll be up to speed in no time.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of hair, Craig, it's been awhile since you first posted the pink 'n' blue doo. Is that still the current coif?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Speaking of hair, Craig, it's been awhile since you first posted the pink 'n' blue doo. Is that still the current coif?

[/ QUOTE ]
Naaa, it's pretty much faded out now. There are still very faint tinges of blue and pink in there if you look for them, but it's pretty much reverted to "dirty dishwater blond" with lighter blond near the ends. I put on a backwards baseball hat whenever I go out (typical Seattle winter attire) so I don't have to endure any funny comments about my hair. I believe I colored it last June (mid- to late-month), but not since then.

Time to buy another Miss Clairol bleaching kit and color my hair again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
(Edit, next day at 12:44pm PST)
I picked up a bleaching kit at Bartell's today, now I just need to get off my toliet muscle and use it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
GQGeek81, you see that modest guy with the funny hair that just posted? Do yourself a favor and go check out his site. You'll be up to speed in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the vote of confidence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My site is about 55 megs long, so be sure you go to the can and get a Pepsi or something out of the fridge before visiting it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
yea I'm picking up some stuff. I'm starting to notice that most of this is not flashlight science per se but more product science based on whats out there.

The mods and all sound interesting, A double ended stick with a high dome on one side and a low dome on the other sounds very usefull, and the Acr4 flash demo has me drewling, but its way too much $$$ for something I'd prolly lose.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
GQGeek81,
I sometimes tell guys to go to Quickbeams site and then buy everything with a thumbs up or a 5 star rating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif That would get you up to speed real quick. Sad to say I didn't do this, but I'm close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif
Seriously read and learn. You can get good lights without spending a fortune. I hope you enjoy your time here on CPF.

You might want to check out Brock's & Sean's sites too. If you need links just send me a PM.

lvRN

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading for a couple months and I'm still pretty much lost. I've bought a couple of ARCs. I'm thinking about doing some mods. My training and career are not electonics or computer oriented. I'm going to the shot show in a few weeks and will actually meet a few of the people here.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
GQGeek81,

Some months ago, I searched for flashlight books on the web and at local book stores. I couldn't find a book even remotely related to flashlights.

For me, it "all evolved through the boards." I have found that the best information is on CPF and various sites referred to here. I believe the best approach to learning is to pick a topic or area within flashlights, read the posts daily, keep a list of questions, and search the archives for answers. If they don't pop up on a CPF thread, start a new one.

Paul

Kirk

Enlightened
There are a couple of good books on the history of flashlights; not too much technical stuff, but very interesting reading showing how far we've come in 100 years. The best one IMHO is "Flashlights, with Rarity and Value Guide; Early Flashlight Makers & the 1st 100 Years of Eveready" by Bill Utley. Available directly from Mr. Utley at [email protected] . The other good book is by Stuart Schneider called, "Collecting Flashlights, with Value Guide". Mr. Schneider has a pretty cool website at http://www.geocities.com/~stuarts1031/flashlight.html . You can buy his book off this site. Good reading!
Kirk