Zebralight SC600 MkIII low fading issue

M0VTS

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have been lurking in this forum for the last few months and it's time to give something back but unfortunately this is a question.

The SC600 MkIII has finally arrived in the UK and my cool white model arrived this morning but I have a strange observation when running on low power and was wondering if this is normal.

When switching on directly to low power (press and hold) the LED emits a very brief flash much brighter than the final output. I have also noticed that when turning off from low power, the output fades away, the majority is gone after a second or so but even after 20-30 seconds there is a still a very low output.

Any ideas if this is normal or have a got a bad one?

My SC32 and H600 don't do this so it was quite a surprise when I found this.

Thanks for allowing me to become a member of this forum!

Peter
M0VTS

fnsooner

Enlightened
I would say that you do have a problem with the pre-flash. Especially considering you have two other ZebraLights and are familiar with their operation.

I have an H501w that slowly dims when turned off. I always figured that all of the H501s did that. Never asked. I am not sure if the SC600 MK III normally does it. Probably not.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yes the SC600 MKIII fades for a few seconds after turning off. I noticed this on my Nitecore TM16, and a few others as well.

M0VTS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all,

I guess the fading is ok.

The pre-flash isn't really an issue, it's only noticeable on the very lowest output 0.01 lumen's, once you get to the higher 0.07 of 0.43 it's barely noticeable. I wonder if it's to do with the driver being a boost rather than a buck as I understand the LED needs a higher voltage than the battery can supply.

I don't think I will end up using this at such a low power anyway as my SC32 is my go-to light for ultra low output.

Peter
M0VTS