P3D sized alternative - PD35 just too big for my pocket...

alank2

Newly Enlightened
I tried to move from a P3D to the PD35 but it is just that much too long and always gets stuck at the bottom of my pocket. Do they make a 18650 sized light that is more P3D sized in length? Any recommendations?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to move from a P3D to the PD35 but it is just that much too long and always gets stuck at the bottom of my pocket. Do they make a 18650 sized light that is more P3D sized in length? Any recommendations?

Nitecore MH20, Zebralight SC600, Zebralight SC62. These are some great small 18650 lights. They are listed from biggest to smallest and all are a lot smaller then the PD35.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25LC2 or DX30LC2 XP-L HI

Last edited:

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Guys forgive me to leaving out that one of the reasons I carry it is a defensive light that I might want to deploy quickly. This is one of the reasons why I like the tailcap button - I've got one of my old P3D's setup with the extended button on the end. So I need to be able to get it out and get it full bright quickly. I also use it for every day use and often switch between light levels...

wolfgaze

Enlightened

Olight S2 is 4 inches long... Very compact... The pocket clip is poorly designed though...No tailswitch on this model....

snurblet

Newly Enlightened
Guys forgive me to leaving out that one of the reasons I carry it is a defensive light that I might want to deploy quickly. This is one of the reasons why I like the tailcap button - I've got one of my old P3D's setup with the extended button on the end. So I need to be able to get it out and get it full bright quickly. I also use it for every day use and often switch between light levels...

The DX30LC2 has no mode memory, it always starts on max. The tail switch has no protective "wings" around it, so it's easy to activate from any orientation. It might also be easier to activate in your pocket by accident, but I haven't had any trouble with that yet. There's no quick access to strobe, if that matters to you. Other modes require the side switch, and quick access to low mode from off requires pressing the side switch and tail switch simultaneously

It's a good 1/2" shorter than the PD35, and significantly smaller in diameter. Looks like the P3D is about 3/8" shorter still, but that's without the extended switch.

Eagletac DX25LC2 or DX30LC2 XP-L HI

I think you mean the D25LC2 (without the "X"). :)

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Click is pretty compact, extended forward clicky. Better still if you can find the older QT2L, more customization options. I really like the latter on a 2500 mAh 16650, but it's primary intended diet is 2xCR123.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DX30LC2 has no mode memory, it always starts on max. The tail switch has no protective "wings" around it, so it's easy to activate from any orientation. It might also be easier to activate in your pocket by accident, but I haven't had any trouble with that yet. There's no quick access to strobe, if that matters to you. Other modes require the side switch, and quick access to low mode from off requires pressing the side switch and tail switch simultaneously

It's a good 1/2" shorter than the PD35, and significantly smaller in diameter. Looks like the P3D is about 3/8" shorter still, but that's without the extended switch.

I think you mean the D25LC2 (without the "X"). :)

Yes it should be D25LC2 XP-L HI V3. similar ui to the old Fenix P3D Q5, but with a lot more lux and lumens. 12,200 Lux.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

No offense but, using a flashlight as a tool for defense is kind of a joke(no matter what CPF arm chair ninjas might say) and probably the worst of all things you could carry for defense. Especially without some kind of additional training. Any even slightly qualified assailant is going to shove your flashlight where the sunshine dont shine when you attempt to blind him with it. Or, if he has a weapon, he is now going to use it on you because you gave him some purple dots and pissed him off. I suggest you go and get yourself some formal defense training and then if you still feel the need for a tool of defence, get a concealed or open carry permit and get a firearm, knife, pepperspray, tazer, batton or anything but a flashlight lol. Really man, your going to get yourself hurt. Take a personal defense class please.

Last edited:

alank2

Newly Enlightened
Tachead - I agree - it isn't my only defensive tool, just one of. I always carry a fixed knife I can access with one hand if needed and a 9mm, either PM9 in my pocket or G19 on the waist if I can dress for it. Been to some training; could always use more.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tachead - I agree - it isn't my only defensive tool, just one of. I always carry a fixed knife I can access with one hand if needed and a 9mm, either PM9 in my pocket or G19 on the waist if I can dress for it. Been to some training; could always use more.

Ok good to hear:thumbsup: Yeah, you can never have enough training and practice.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
alank2, made sense to me. No mention of the light as a weapon, just quick deploy - as in identifying your target by the same time your Glock clears the leather. Now carrying a gun at night without a flashlight, that's a bad idea!

cmroberts1

Newly Enlightened
I just got the New Nitecore MT10A. It is the perfect size for the pocket and for a 14500/AA battery, it is impressive. I have the PD35 and find the Nitecore to be a great replacement for my EDC.

Martin

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't want to be off topic, and I have an 18650 next to my .45 for the house, but for pocket carry the AA size is not a bad consideration, with an AW 14500. The Foursevens tactical configurations with the 1xAA tube ($20 - discount, if you get the light with another tube) seems the perfect compromise for pocket friendly and hand-filling. Run time is a fraction of the 18650, but for "tactical" carry, I would not need big run time. I have always liked my, albeit old and outdated, Nitecore Defender Infinity for this role. The QTA is a great modern alternative, and can be closely replicated with the current Click and accessory 1xAA tube.

Onthebrightside

Newly Enlightened
Ok, well I was skeptical about saying anything because you did say an 18650 light but I'm just going to throw this out there. I got a nightcore ec11 because sometimes my fenix pd35 is too big and I love it. Definitely won't give you the run time but it's tiny and it's really bright when needed and adjusts brightness/strobe ect.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or, in other words, excellent UI for a defensive light :) The only thing that might be a touch controversial is no easy access to strobe. For me, in live training I haven't found strobe to be such a huge differentiator that the DX30LC2's other huge advantages (insanely carryable, very high candlepower for such a small light, easy-to-hit rear switch, ALWAYS comes on in high from tailswitch) overwhelm a lack of strobe.

Yea, really enjoy the carryability

If it proves reliable (this is only my 2nd Eagletac and I didn't knock around my first too much, although it was very reliable), this is a fantastic solution to me. The only thing that could possible knock it off right now is if Klarus would put an XPL HI in the XT2C, up the lumens to be competitive, and add a voltage report.

Last edited: