NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "flashlights not allowed"

Flashaholic*

Default Re: "flashlights not allowed"

*Remember, torch =flashlight in England*

Chislehurst Caves. South East London. Below quote from their website Q and A.

Can I take a torch in the caves?
    No, all our guides are experienced in using torches underground, inexperienced users may inadvertently shine their torch in other people's eyes which can be quite painful when your pupils are fully dilated in total darkness. Our Oil Lamps create a far more pleasant atmosphere

I think it's mostly for the atmosphere. Everyone gets given oil lamps to carry. In fact, the times I have gone I just held back a bit and used my torch to light up side tunnels and such. I never had an issue as long as I didn't shine it around the main group.
    Last edited by Jay R; 09-22-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    I can sort of see them not allowing the, for one reason only.
    Bats.
    This was my experience in the "Devils' Icebox" in Columbia Mo. It's a water cave you canoe through that is run by the DNR,it's about 5 mi with portages.

Anyway the DNR guide said very clearly DO NOT SHINE YOUR LIGHTS ON THE BATS!. Of course, that is exactly what the co-ed girls did. Needless to say, that caused the bat's to think it was a big cave bat party. Not a big deal for our group as no-one was scared of bats and they( the girsl not the bats) were kinda hot.

I can, however, understand how this could be a real problem. The other post that refer to the light taking away the spelunkers night vision also makes sense
    Last edited by hangn_9; 11-07-2016 at 09:08 PM.

When I went to Luray Caverns, I stayed back and used my m43vn to light up areas of interest and it was quite an xperience. I gave lights to all my kids but they were taught to be courteous and not ruin the experience for others.

Flashaholic*

Maybe some of the tours differentiate between a headlamp and a flashlight/torch because you need to have your hands free. Just a thought!

I'm actually disappointed whenever I do cave tours that don't require flashlights. I mean, the main reason I'm interested in spelunking is because I get to explore the beauty of the underworld with my bright lights! Having said that, I think I understand why some cave tours discourage, if not prohibit flashlights. Some tours might rely on specific lighting conditions to achieve a certain ambiance during the tour. I guess not everyone appreciates bright lights in dark places.

I took the family to one in Pennsylvania and they had no problem with me using my astrolux s41. I had to rig a lanyard from a shoelace I had in the car since I knew the kids wanted to use it. I was the one that dropped it of course, and almost lost it down a shaft. It stopped just short of the ledge. The tour guide didn't use a light since it was well lit and the darkest areas were off limits.
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Flashaholic*

Outer space aside are there any places you can't have a flashlight due to what type batteries ie lithium are in it?
    All you need is Maglite.

Flashaholic*

Engineers in my company have to have lights rated for use in explosive atmospheres. Does that count?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Engineers in my company have to have lights rated for use in explosive atmospheres. Does that count?
    Do you use anything besides Pelican?
    All you need is Maglite.

I also know a few places where flashlights are disallowed. For example, at religious places and the main tourist attractions, at concerts and conferences in one word at all crowded places

Our local Halloween attraction is very strict with this; they check you with a metal detector wand and carefully examine your keychain. They caught me a couple years in a row when I forgot I had a Tube or whatever on my keys.

Of course cellphones aren't permitted either but I understand their rationale; a light source would be less fun for an event like that.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by american lockpicker View Post
    Do you use anything besides Pelican?
    Sorry, only just saw this question, in short, no. Only Pelican.

In fact my company issues its own internationally recognised 'Seal of approval' on products and Pelican lights are the only ones we have approved for hazardous environments. (But that may be because they are the only manufacturers that have submitted their products for approval, I don't know)

I believe Streamlight makes several models that are approved for hazardous environments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12