Awesome flashlight: Nitecore EA45S

JordanK

Newly Enlightened
I just took delivery of a Nitecore EA45S from Amazon.ca and I'm loving this new light. I think Amazon messed up the price because it was selling on their Canadian website for the same dollar amount as the USA site but in Canadian dollars. With the Canadian dollar at $0.71 USA dollars, I ended up paying about $56 in USA$. Not bad with free Prime shipping and no tax.

I bought the light because I wanted a pocket thrower that runs on AA's and the price was right. I'm kinda new to this flashlight hobby and I'm trying to stick with AA and AAA lights for now to avoid having to buy multiple battery types and chargers. Eneloop AA and AAA are cheap and plentiful so this light was perfect.

This light throws an amazing 402m and the programming is terrific. There seems to be lots of positive comments on the bigger 18650-based Nitecore EC4S and EC4SW versions but I think this light is a bit of an undiscovered champion in the 1000 lumen category. Very pleased with my purchase.

Jordan

24534541286_bb8ec2d7c2_z.jpg

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I'm kinda new to this flashlight hobby and I'm trying to stick with AA and AAA lights for now to avoid having to buy multiple battery types and chargers. Eneloop AA and AAA are cheap and plentiful so this light was perfect.

I was the same way not long ago... I avoided looking at flashlights that utilized battery types I was not familiar with - as I figured I would not only need to purchase these new batteries but also buy separate chargers for them... Fairly recently I learned that there were universal-type chargers capable of charging many different battery types... So I got myself one of those (a Nitecore D4) and now I'm charging my AA/AAA Eneloops on it as well as 18650 batteries, and soon to be16340's (RCR123's)...

wjv

Enlightened
I think a lot of people start down the "AAA"/"AA" route.

Just a few year ago I would have sworn in court, on a stack of bibles that I would neve buy a 1xCR123 or a 18650 light.

Then you buy one. . . And another. . . And another. . . And another. . . And another. . . And another. . . And another. . . And another

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, glad you like the light! I did the same thing too regarding the battery progression haha. Enjoy the light!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, once you go lithium you'll never go back. I like Eneloop Pro AA's for my lanterns but, for everything else I prefer lithiums. More brightness, more runtime, less weight, whats not to like.

tops2

Enlightened
Lol.. I was initially stuck on AA/AAA too. But a month later after I got into flashlights, Illumn had a December special on Thrunite TN12 2014 for $30 so I said for that price, I'll try a 18650 light and ended up getting a pair of protected batteries. And just last week I received the Olight S1 and I bought a rcr123 battery. I'm tempted by the new Zebralights but then I'd need to get some unprotected 18650s.

So much for me sticking to AA/AAA. ;-)

lswindell4

Newly Enlightened
I was the same way not long ago... I avoided looking at flashlights that utilized battery types I was not familiar with - as I figured I would not only need to purchase these new batteries but also buy separate chargers for them... Fairly recently I learned that there were universal-type chargers capable of charging many different battery types... So I got myself one of those (a Nitecore D4) and now I'm charging my AA/AAA Eneloops on it as well as 18650 batteries, and soon to be16340's (RCR123's)...
I have a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 which works with Li-ion 26650's, 22650's, 18650's, 17670's, 18490's, 17500's, 17335's, RCR123's, 14500's, 10440's, and Ni-MH/Ni-Cd AA's, AAA's and C's. It automatically identifies the battery and applies the appropriate charging mode for each. each of the 4 battery slots is capable of monitering and charging the batteries independently. IMO a great charger.

Paul in Mi

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new to this hobby too, and began with the desire to stick with AA and AAA batteries too. What sold me on 123's was their lifespan; you can find a good deal on a large-ish quantity of 123's and they'll last much longer when stored properly than AA and AAA's.
Plus the selection of cool lights that run on 123's is massive. :D

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I didn't know they had a AA version of this. I just got the EC4SW and really like it.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Cool, I didn't know they had a AA version of this. I just got the EC4SW and really like it.

Lol! Same here coz I never read anything about these models when it came out. Anyway, I should start reading to check if I would buy one or not...

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fairly new to this hobby too, and began with the desire to stick with AA and AAA batteries too. What sold me on 123's was their lifespan; you can find a good deal on a large-ish quantity of 123's and they'll last much longer when stored properly than AA and AAA's.
Plus the selection of cool lights that run on 123's is massive. :D

Fair enough. You can also get Lithium AA and AAA batteries that last 10 years and work in bigger temperature ranges than alkaline batteries as well. But they still don't power as many powerful lights as the 123's and 18650s.

kj75

Enlightened
I like the E-series too, have two members.. EC4 and EC4S

Waiting for a rechargeable..:whistle:

Glad you like it, the interface is one of best there is (for me)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the E-series too, have two members.. EC4 and EC4S

Waiting for a rechargeable..:whistle:

Glad you like it, the interface is one of best there is (for me)

Yeah, I am really loving the UI on the EC4SW and this light appears to have the same one. It's a great simple design that will work for flashaholics and non-flashaholics alike.

JordanK

Newly Enlightened
The interesting thing about the EA45S is that it out throws both the EC4, EC4S and EC4SW yet it's only 1,000 lumens. Are there any other 1,000 lumen lights that throw 400+ metres?

Jordan

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many factors affecting a light's throw potential. If you want to know more check out a thread about it in the OMGLumens subforum.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the reviews area and read on olights m2x , m3xs. Awesome compact throwers.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took delivery of a Nitecore EA45S from Amazon.ca and I'm loving this new light. I bought the light because I wanted a pocket thrower that runs on AA's and the price was right. I'm kinda new to this flashlight hobby and I'm trying to stick with AA and AAA lights for now to avoid having to buy multiple battery types and chargers. Eneloop AA and AAA are cheap and plentiful so this light was perfect.

Can you physically "lockout" the light by unscrewing the tail piece several turns? I do this with my EC4S and it works great to eliminate any residual drain. When I want to use it I simply tighten it. Interested in the EA45S but only if it allows this ability with Eneloops.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
My son has this light to. It's impressive for its size. Very light weight, and thanks the the die cast construction it dissipates heat so well It can pretty much run at full pelt the whole of the runtime. Wholly recommend it to anyone

JordanK

Newly Enlightened
Can you physically "lockout" the light by unscrewing the tail piece several turns? I do this with my EC4S and it works great to eliminate any residual drain. When I want to use it I simply tighten it. Interested in the EA45S but only if it allows this ability with Eneloops.

I turned on the flashlight and then slowly unscrewed the red thumbscrew that holds the end cap in place. The light stayed on until the end cap was detached. I think this is more a functions of the springs that contact the flat ends of the batteries. Maybe you could adjust the springs to provide the desired affect. The flashlight has a built in charge indicator. Not sure why parasitic drain is such a big deal.

Jordan