Opinions on the new Princeton Tec Impact XL

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats GOT to be a misprint on the 7 lumens. That's about 3 5mm LEDs.

If it is a decent one watt, with 4AAs, it ought to run a lonnngggg time.

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
The Princeton Imapct XL is a good value for a 4AA, 1-Watt Luxeon Star flashlight. It is waterproof to 100 meters, has a 50+ hour run time and a very white beam. It has one of the whitest beams for an LED flashlight that I have ever seen.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well SubtleIrony, if I had one, I'd give you a URL to a review, but I don't, so that URL will have to wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
O, and I can't measure lumens - you need a device called an integrating sphere to do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
My most common measurement is mcd (millicandelas); as this is how most LEDs are measured.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new ImpactXL and I really like it. I can get them at a local dive shop for $25.00 plus tax and I spend about 1 hour each day walking my dog in winter darkness.(530AM and 10PM) I like it better than my Princeton tec 40 because of the bright white light it throws. The tec 40 is better for total brightness at a distance, but the tec 40 light is yellow compared to the ImpactXL. I am hoping to be very happy with the long run time of my batteries in the Impact XL. The tec 40 lasted about 8 hours on a set and I'm hoping to get 30 or more hours of light from the ImpactXL. The ImpactXL feels very secure in my glove hands at 0 degrees F and fits easily in my coat or back pocket.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Thats GOT to be a misprint on the 7 lumens. That's about 3 5mm LEDs.

If it is a decent one watt, with 4AAs, it ought to run a lonnngggg time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's WAY underdriven- don't expect it to be as bright as a Streamlight 3AA Luxeon task light, or any other aluminum luxeon light. I was extremely disappointed with it.
For $28 it's a reasonable light- I paid 39 at Ramsey Outdoor store in Paramus.... I got robbed.

mitchfried

Newly Enlightened
Can it be run with lithiums, and if so, will it be brighter? How does it compare to the Streamlight 4aa LED Propolymer?

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mitchfried said:
Can it be run with lithiums, and if so, will it be brighter? How does it compare to the Streamlight 4aa LED Propolymer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes- run it on lithium AAs to make it a little brighter- The propolymer kicks it's butt. The Streamlight is more of a blue light, but it gives MORE light.
Both are waterproof, the SL has a tailswitch that can be operated with one hand.

Ok, I have no way of measuring standards like "Lumens" or "Lux" I do have a standard measurement tool I use to compare. It is a small solar cell (about 2 inches by 2 inches connected to a large panel meter with a big swing. It has a scale of 0 to 120, but the solar cell maxes out at about 80 on the scale. I point the Streamlight Propolymer at it and it reads 59, at the same distance the Princeton tec XL reads 46. My Princeton Tec attitude (a 3LED light) makes a reading of 46 as well.

The Surefire L4 pushes the meter to 72.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks..........

I almost ordered the blasted thing last night from Brightguy.

How did they screw this light up so badly ?

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
That sucks..........
I almost ordered the blasted thing last night from Brightguy.
How did they screw this light up so badly ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made measurements on it- and it calculated out to being driven at .6w... yes, that's six tenths of a watt. Most 1W Luxeons sold in aluminum bodies are driven at 1w, 1.2, 1.5 and even 2w. I wrote to PT about it with pictures of the beams, my measurements, and comparisons against other lights (even the CMG Reactor-1 that runs on 2AA) No response at all...

Other guys on CPF told me I should not have expected it to be as bright as other aluminum bodied 1W luxeons because of heat sinking requirements. Thinking about it now, I can understand why it isn't driven that hard. BUT- at the time, I saw "1W" and was expecting the same performance. IMHO it should not be advertised at 1W unless it is DRIVEN at 1W.

One thing I can say is- yes.. it IS a very *white* light.