E2d ultra vs Elzetta bravo

Philthy

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, I am looking at these two USA made lights. I have many edc lights but I want a very high quality tactical defense light. I will be carrying it in a kydex holster. It will be replacing a protac 2l. My gut tells me to go elzetta, I love the way it looks, but I'm concerned that the output will be dissapointing. I don't want to get the high output elzetta, the head is bigger, making it more difficult to carry, even in a holster. Also I don't care much for the look of the avs head. Does anyone have experience with either of these lights as well as the protac 2l, which I am currently carrying, so as to compare the actual brightness? Other opinions on any of these lights? Thank you.

Phil

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing about the Elzetta is, you can always upgrade the module. There's not a 2 cell Malkoff module out at the moment that makes 500 lumens but I can't imagine it's far off.

Have you considered the Malkoff md2 with the HOT head? That'd be my choice.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both of them, well until I receive payment for the Ultra....then it'll go away. Don't let the 500 lumen spec of the Ultra fool you into thinking it's a tightly regulated 500 lumens. Here's a link to 880arm's review of it, including an output graph. http://flashlightguide.com/2013/05/review-surefire-e2dl-ultra/

From a beam pattern perspective, the Ultra's hot spot is significantly larger than the Elzetta's M60's innermost spot, and on initial turn-on the output is in another league. The Ultra's spill size is significantly larger. The Elzetta's factory drop-in is only one engine option. It will work with any of Malkoff's M61 drop-ins, which have outputs up to 325 lumens, using reflectors that create a completely different beam pattern. These have a more multi-purpose spot/spill ratio, that IMHO works significantly better for typical usage.

The Elzetta high/low tailcap allows the user to select which output is generated before the light is activated, so there's no need to go through high to reach the low output. It's also not possible to accidentally get the wrong output during momentary operation.

For front pocket carry, I find the Elzetta much more comfortable due to the extra length of the Ultra and how much of it is in the pocket due to the two way clip design. The Elzetta doesn't come with a clip (and their clip has't received good reviews), but any clip for a Surefire 6P will work on it. My absolute preference is the Prometheus Surefire clip.

If the light's color temperature is important, then the Elzetta with M61 gives you the choice of cool 6000 K, neutral 4000K, high CRI 4500K, among others. I've owned two Ultras and they both offered yellow-ish spots, green-ish coronas, and rosy spill.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As GeoBruin stated, the Malkoff MD2 with M61, M61T or M61HOT head should be seriously considered. The throw heads don't come with high/low rings, but they can be added.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Grizz!, good stuff, - which hi CRI is that?.
got a link?.

I may one day again have an elzetta bravo but with hcri if possible.
Im looking for something tough but at the same time hcri.
Thanks!.

I've got both of them, well until I receive payment for the Ultra....then it'll go away. Don't let the 500 lumen spec of the Ultra fool you into thinking it's a tightly regulated 500 lumens. Here's a link to 880arm's review of it, including an output graph. http://flashlightguide.com/2013/05/review-surefire-e2dl-ultra/

From a beam pattern perspective, the Ultra's hot spot is significantly larger than the Elzetta's M60's innermost spot, and on initial turn-on the output is in another league. The Ultra's spill size is significantly larger. The Elzetta's factory drop-in is only one engine option. It will work with any of Malkoff's M61 drop-ins, which have outputs up to 325 lumens, using reflectors that create a completely different beam pattern. These have a more multi-purpose spot/spill ratio, that IMHO works significantly better for typical usage.

The Elzetta high/low tailcap allows the user to select which output is generated before the light is activated, so there's no need to go through high to reach the low output. It's also not possible to accidentally get the wrong output during momentary operation.

For front pocket carry, I find the Elzetta much more comfortable due to the extra length of the Ultra and how much of it is in the pocket due to the two way clip design. The Elzetta doesn't come with a clip (and their clip has't received good reviews), but any clip for a Surefire 6P will work on it. My absolute preference is the Prometheus Surefire clip.

If the light's color temperature is important, then the Elzetta with M61 gives you the choice of cool 6000 K, neutral 4000K, high CRI 4500K, among others. I've owned two Ultras and they both offered yellow-ish spots, green-ish coronas, and rosy spill.