DQG Tiny AAA 7 (Cool white) measurements

maukka

Enlightened
The DQG Tiny AAA is one of the smallest (12,8 x 59,3 mm) flashlights to use an AAA or 10440 sized battery. It weighs 13 grams without a battery, 22 g with a 10440. I tested the latest (as of 1/2016), 7th iteration of it. It comes bare without any accessories in a plastic bag. Battery has to be purchased separately.

Switch is a twisty type. Changing between the two modes is done by switching the light off and back on again. Threads on the head feel smooth enough, but the first couple of turns are a bit finicky. You can also screw open the tailcap, but because of its small size and sharp machined edges the head is preferred when changing the battery. There's a magnet in the tailcap.

The light is available with two emitters. I measured the cool white version with a Cree XP-G2 LED. It was specified as 6000-6500 K but measured a bit below this (5860 K) with a spill of 7020 K. The neutral white version is specced as 4500-5000 K.

The beam is wide with a hotspot. Spill angle is 116° and spot angle approximately 31°.

There is no PWM.

Waja1ZU.jpg

mwqhp5b.jpg

DQG Fairy, DQG Tiny AAA 7, AAA alkaline battery

m3IeUZl.jpg

7Gre7Pv.png

Measurements

Please note: lumen measurements are only rough estimates

My diy integrating styrofoam box cooler has been calibrated using a Fenix E05 on high with manufacturer's claim of 85 lumens. Verified with an Olight S10 that has been measured with a Labsphere FS2 integrating sphere by valostore.fi. Results may be more inaccurate with especially throwy or floody lights.

For spectral information and CRI calculations I have an X-rite i1Pro spectrophotometer with HCFR for the plot and ArgyllCMS spotread.exe for the data. For runtime tests I use spotread.exe with a custom script and a i1Display Pro because it doesn't require calibration every 30 minutes like the i1Pro.

Explanation of abbreviations
CCT = correlated color temperature, higher temperature means cooler (bluish)
CRI (Ra) = color rendering index consisting of 8 different colors (R1-R8), max value 100
CRI (R9) = color rendering index with deep red, usually difficult for led based light sources, max value 100
TLCI = television lighting consistency index, max value 100
x,y = coordinates on a CIE 1931 chart

HLMkYpu.png

Spectral distribution
jahSwFa.png

Color rendering
See explanations: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CRI-vs-alternatives-with-measurement-examples
JnpGboN.png

Tint
kLSFnGv.png

Runtime (high)
dUuQFVu.png

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the details, including, mode Sequence, Lumens, CCT, CRI, and PWM (few reviews contain the last 3, making yours outstanding)

a couple more specs I suggest you incorporate:
reversible pocket clip available? (looks like no)
tailstand capable (looks like no with keyring, yes without)
what material is the light made of (color suggests possibilities of Stainless or Titanium, but the weight suggests Aluminum)

maukka

Enlightened
a couple more specs I suggest you incorporate:
reversible pocket clip available? (looks like no)
tailstand capable (looks like no with keyring, yes without)
what material is the light made of (color suggests possibilities of Stainless or Titanium, but the weight suggests Aluminum)

Thanks for the feedback. At first I was only supposed to post the measurements, but thought that any info is better than nothing :)

I haven't seen a pocket clip for sale for this particular model even though there may be some 3rd party ones that fit.

Tailstanding just as you guessed. There are slots for the keyring to slide in but the magnet always pulls it out of them, no go.

Body is made out of stainless steel. The light is really small compared to other AAA lights so that explains the weight.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. At first I was only supposed to post the measurements, but thought that any info is better than nothing

Not quite sure what you are saying when you wrote that you were only supposed to post the measurements. Is someone asking you to do this, or you are talking about yourself, and your personal, original plan?

Yes, outstanding information. Wish you could try some other emitter/flashlights; like a good quality Nichia 219B 5000K. Maybe compare the spectrum with the Rayus T01?

You are an excellent resource. It would be nice if some of the other capable members here could corroborate your work (or at least declare your work credible).

I have a DQG Tiny AAA purchased before December of this year (I believe) that is a tail clicky, two mode. When you turn it off, it will come on in the other mode. So if you want the light to come on in low mode, you need to turn it off when it is on high mode. Does this light have a similar, 'other mode memory'?

AussieRanga

Enlightened
You are an excellent resource. It would be nice if some of the other capable members here could corroborate your work (or at least declare your work credible).

Yes, an excellent resource. Why then dismiss that comment with a somewhat negative one?

Who's declaring our 'credible' members as 'credible' anyway!?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, an excellent resource. Why then dismiss that comment with a somewhat negative one?

Who's declaring our 'credible' members as 'credible' anyway!?

Maukka has been a CPF member for about a month. Other members here have a considerable track record of credibility. It is just a guess, but it would not be surprising if you had no clue whether Maukka's information is accurate. I don't, hence the comment. You do remember this is the internet, right? That maybe some information here is lacking?

I have spoken to Maukka via PM and he/she seems upfront. It would be better to get corroboration; peer review, so-to-speak. Pretty simple.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think maukka's reviews rock! Elvis has left the building...

Last edited:

maukka

Enlightened
For all you guys know, I could be full of it. It's quite alright to be skeptical, but I think I've disclosed that my lumen measurements are only estimations and which tools I'm using for the spectral data. As a hobbyist, I can only promise that my data between different lights is comparable but not necessarily scientifically absolutely accurate. I just got three styrofoam balls so at least the lumen measurements will be somewhat more accurate in the future.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
For all you guys know, I could be full of it. It's quite alright to be skeptical, but I think I've disclosed that my lumen measurements are only estimations and which tools I'm using for the spectral data. As a hobbyist, I can only promise that my data between different lights is comparable but not necessarily scientifically absolutely accurate. I just got three styrofoam balls so at least the lumen measurements will be somewhat more accurate in the future.

Well said, and another indication of integrity.

For jon_

Because you did not provide any data, you too are filling a server with twitter-drivel, stating a baseless belief in the accuracy of Maukka's information.

If you had read my post with more cognizance, you would have realized I never threw accusations. Corroboration would be nice, from CPF members who we have a reasonable assurance, based on previous posts, and views/comments from our amazing, knowledgeable community.

Does anyone have anything to contribute to this thread?