SFM6 LED head?

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone knows if SF has plans for making a LED head for the SFM6 whenever the technology allows it. Meaning, when we have more powerfull leds. I really never was too interested in LEDS until my L5 arrived. I was, and still am very impressed by it's output. I am now debating if I should order a e1e and kl1 combo. Although I might be dissapointed with its output since it's only 16 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Charles is right - the KL6 works fine with the M6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif A quicksearch found one thread from this week.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, it is not a SF light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
it is made by PK and only 2 in existence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really a Surfire light either...
f9d50ee1.jpg

f9d50edb.jpg

That Module used to live in my M4, but the M6 is a much nicer host /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But User mods aside, i cant see Surefire releasing a LED option for the M6 is the near future. Why? Because the M6 is Surefires 'Brute Force' light, designed to overwhelm the target with raw lumens. And LED technology is not quite there yet, they need to be at least 5x brighter than current LEDs can provide. But when someone releases a 500 lumen LED, you can be sure that SF will be one of the first flashlight companies to build a tactical light around it.

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I was aware of the kl6. I just think it looks funny and has too low of an output to strap on an M6 though. My L5 would have better output. Kakster, what is the LED you have in your M6?
where can I get one and what is the output.
Thanks, Jeff

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a 5 watt luxeon, made by fellow CPFer katokichi.
Here is his webpage about it.
Output is par for the course for a 5 watt luxeon, but the beam is about as tight as any i have seen.

kaseri

Enlightened
kakster...

Are you able to use all six batteries when running that LED in your M6?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, runs fine. There is a DB833 inside that module. Remember, the M6 voltage is 9v, so no problems there, as the DB can handle way more than that.

kaseri

Enlightened
Great! Now hopefully he is still making them.

By the way.. hows the beam look? Any doughnut holes or rings in the beam? Got a beam shot for me?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at this thread. The host was an M4, but of course, the bezel is exactly the same.
No holes, no rings, just a tight, perfectly focussed hotspot with a wide corona.
I think he is still making them, in fact im hoping to get a couple of spares made. This is absolutely my favourite 5 watt light ( for now at least...)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GarminGPSMap said:
Doesn't the KL2 work with the M6 also?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup works great I use six dead 123's with mine and get over an hour of good light.

kaseri

Enlightened
kakster..

I asked the builder of this what bin the LED was and he stated it was a "U4 emitter". I'm not sure exactly what that means. Can anyone here explain what that type of emitter will look like in color and brightness? All I want is for it to be bright and white.

kaseri

Enlightened
kakster..

Do you by any chance know what the bin code of yours is? And how does yours look to you in terms of color?

Thanks for that link to the chart!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a W5* emitter. Its very white, with a hint of blue. Its second only to my TWOK in terms of tint, even nicer than my X3T.