HL60R_9_E__57677.1453761171.1280.1280.jpg

HL60R_8_E__85722.1453761172.1280.1280.jpg

HL60R_13_E__09567.1453761168.1280.1280.jpg

HL60R_14_E__99480.1453761168.1280.1280.jpg

HL60R_15_E__48437.1453761168.1280.1280.jpg

Pre-Order Now

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man you guys are in a roll tonight! I do believe this light just we to the top of my to buy list. I love my HL35 and this would be a great next step. Neutral white (as you all know I love neutral tints) and the 5 lumens is low enough for this headlamp, I would rather use my smaller HL35 if I'm doing a task that I need the moonlight mode.

After looking closer at the pictures of this, what is the mode sequence? Is it actually turbo, red, eco, low, medium, high? Unless I'm over looking it I don't see where it says it has mode memory. If it does have mode memory the mode sequence doesn't matter much but if doesn't I really don't want to start at 900 lumens every time.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking closer at the pictures of this, what is the mode sequence? Is it actually turbo, red, eco, low, medium, high? Unless I'm over looking it I don't see where it says it has mode memory. If it does have mode memory the mode sequence doesn't matter much but if doesn't I really don't want to start at 900 lumens every time.

I was wondering the same thing about the UI. This looks like a nice offering and I love that Fenix is using more neutral tints.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Getting answers from Fenix tonight. This headlamp is due in our warehouse Feb. 1. Glad you are pleased with what you see. We're glad to see something significantly different in a Fenix headlamp...not the norm for them.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The built in charging system and included battery will make this a great gift for non-flashaholics. Looking forward to hearing more about the UI.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Here's Fenix's response:

ON/OFF
Press and hold the side switch for 0.5 seconds to turn ON/OFF the headlamp.
Output Selection
With the lamp on, click the switch to cycle through Turbo→Red light→Eco→Low→Mid→High.

Intelligent Memory Circuit
The headlamp remembers the last-used brightness level, the next time it is turned on, it will recall that previously used brightness level.

BTW, the turbo mode is 950 lumens but not 900 lumens.

Man you guys are in a roll tonight! I do believe this light just we to the top of my to buy list. I love my HL35 and this would be a great next step. Neutral white (as you all know I love neutral tints) and the 5 lumens is low enough for this headlamp, I would rather use my smaller HL35 if I'm doing a task that I need the moonlight mode.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's Fenix's response:

ON/OFF
Press and hold the side switch for 0.5 seconds to turn ON/OFF the headlamp.
Output Selection
With the lamp on, click the switch to cycle through Turbo→Red light→Eco→Low→Mid→High.

Intelligent Memory Circuit
The headlamp remembers the last-used brightness level, the next time it is turned on, it will recall that previously used brightness level.

BTW, the turbo mode is 950 lumens but not 900 lumens.
Thanks for the response, interesting order for the modes but with mode memory it's no big deal. Looking forward to getting one.

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened
I've yet to buy my first headlamp and was looking for perfection, but I think this approaches it the best.

I absolutely love the fact that it uses the standard 18650 Li-Ion battery and can be charged by USB, giving it great output, batterylife and making it very versatile. I love the red light and mode spacing. I truly love that it's waterproof and completely out of aluminium. Heck i even love that it's perfectly symmetrical along both the horizontal as well as the vertical axis.

There is however one thing that's potentially holding me back. Why on earth did they have to make the sequence start in burst, followed by red? :confused:
It would have been way better (and I think most will agree) if the sequence was: Red -> Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High -> Burst. Preferably even without the memory so that you don't have to cycle through every mode (including burst) if you want to go a lower setting while you are in the Low or Mid setting.

Is there any option that it can be customized (by the end user) such that the sequence is kept but it starts of everytime in Red?

I think this light would be absolutely perfect if it had no memory mode, a basic sequence which started everytime in Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High and two dedicated buttons for Red and Burst (two on top or one on top and one on the bottem to keep the symmetry). That would have been absolute perfection!

I have two remaining questions:
- Does this light have some sort of locking mechanisme to prevent it from accidently activating while in a backpack?
- In which way is the 18650 and charger protected (from overcharge)? Is just the 18650 protected or the charger as well?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened
Also, in the picture where you see the headlamp connected to the USB connection, this seems an awful lot like the new 3.1 USB C-type due to its rounded form. Can anybody confirm this? Would be really neet :)

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Since it has mode memory it just cycles through all the levels when you change mode but it always starts in last used mode.
It doesn't matter if you call it Turbo -> Red -> Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High or Red -> Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High -> Turbo, it's the same thing.
After High comes Turbo and after Turbo comes Red.

Otherwise I agree with Ambiorix, it's better to start on Red or Low and step up when I switch on the light.
Let's say I have used it in low and next time I use it I want red to preserve my night vision, then I have to cycle through all the higher settings. Not really practical.

It could have been from off: Click to switch on last used setting (mode memory), click and hold to start in Red and ramp up.

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened
Since it has mode memory it just cycles through all the levels when you change mode but it always starts in last used mode.
It doesn't matter if you call it Turbo -> Red -> Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High or Red -> Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High -> Turbo, it's the same thing.
After High comes Turbo and after Turbo comes Red.

You're right. That's why added the "preferably even without mode memory". If that would have been the case, you could just switch the light off and back on if you were to go from Low or Mid to the Red light without passing through Turbo. It's a shame though.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Hey Fenix Store - it doesn't look like this comes with any spare USB port covers. Are they available? Thanks.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
There aren't any available. The design of the USB cover is such that it will rotate to move out of the way. If you accidentally pull it out, we have to send the headlamp back to Fenix for the replacement. So when a person pulls the USB cable out of the charging port, they need to be careful that they don't grab the cable along with the USB port cover.

Hey Fenix Store - it doesn't look like this comes with any spare USB port covers. Are they available? Thanks.

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened
Is the USB the new 3.1 C-type?

In which way are the special modes accessed?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how this is a game changer. [my suggestions] Still can't use the light for work without the 10 hour mode which is 1/6th the 3300 candela, which is too low to do any detailed inspection work to 2 meters (need 1000 lux, preferably at 45 degrees). Then, threads are probably locked so the end user can't attach a farther throwing TIR or larger reflector: this, would be revolutionary.

So, still a camping light/reading/clothes folding/light duty vision headlamp...which is fine. I do like the Fenix quality, their flat cc drivers, I am extrememly happy to see that 10 hour runtime as one of the runtime steps. Also, I am a sucker for the infinitely variable driver-available in the buckpuck, the new Energizer HD+headlamp, and the the Boruit r2 single 18650 headlamp. Liberating feeling-I don't feel hostage to poorly chosen runtime levels of the manufacturer, that don't fit my needs, with an infinitely dimmable light. Though, the infinitely dimmable design should come with ability to lockout any level that draws too many milliamps that leaves the light dead before the day is over. Otherwise, myself and my co light users, will accidentally run light too hard and not make it all the work day or night, which is a logistic nightmare. [/rant]

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
...leaves the light dead before the day is over. Otherwise, myself and my co light users, will accidentally run light too hard and not make it all the work day or night, which is a logistic nightmare. [/rant]

Curious to the type of work you do that doesn't allow for a spare battery?

If a headlamp is mission critical, shouldn't each of you have at least one backup at your disposal?

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
We have sent all your questions to the engineers and are waiting on their answers. They are out of the office for ISPO Beijing conference. Check back later please.

I've yet to buy my first headlamp and was looking for perfection, but I think this approaches it the best.

I absolutely love the fact that it uses the standard 18650 Li-Ion battery and can be charged by USB, giving it great output, batterylife and making it very versatile. I love the red light and mode spacing. I truly love that it's waterproof and completely out of aluminium. Heck i even love that it's perfectly symmetrical along both the horizontal as well as the vertical axis.

There is however one thing that's potentially holding me back. Why on earth did they have to make the sequence start in burst, followed by red? :confused:
It would have been way better (and I think most will agree) if the sequence was: Red -> Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High -> Burst. Preferably even without the memory so that you don't have to cycle through every mode (including burst) if you want to go a lower setting while you are in the Low or Mid setting.

Is there any option that it can be customized (by the end user) such that the sequence is kept but it starts of everytime in Red?

I think this light would be absolutely perfect if it had no memory mode, a basic sequence which started everytime in Eco -> Low -> Mid -> High and two dedicated buttons for Red and Burst (two on top or one on top and one on the bottem to keep the symmetry). That would have been absolute perfection!

I have two remaining questions:
- Does this light have some sort of locking mechanisme to prevent it from accidently activating while in a backpack?
- In which way is the 18650 and charger protected (from overcharge)? Is just the 18650 protected or the charger as well?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much!

Can this headlamp also be used with the Fenix ARB-L18-3500 18650 accu, 3500 mAh? I suspect it does, but just to be sure as I find it odd that they have given the specs utilising the 2600 mAh version...

Doest it also except the older FEARB-L2 accu's? (I think they're flat tops if I'm correct?)

Last edited: