Recomended Custom Makers

GusManB

Enlightened
Hi

I am new to the Forum and I would like Everyones input on Recommend Custom Flashlights Makers, and what Price range to look in.
I own one Flashlights at the Moment, an Lenslight Mini, and I like to stay around this Size if light.

I have Seen Some Nice TitaniumCustoms out there with Tritium an they look so cool, but would like to know the Difference between the types of out there mainly the LED Class.

Thanks So much

scout24

Flashaholic
Welcome to the forum, GusManB. I suggest you visit the "Custom Builders" Subforum, they each have all the technical info you are looking for in their respective threads. All of the active builders here have a loyal following. Enjoy!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard.
A few things for you to think about/consider/answer. :)
What is your budget in USD?
Are you in a huge hurry for a light?
Are you wanting a mega lumen output or all around awesome? I assume if you like the Size of single CR123 light you want a awesome all a-rounder.
Do you know/understand 16340 & 18350 batteries yet?

Some of the custom builders only make a few lights per batch. Those can sell out in hours or days. Once you figure out what you like, you may be stuck looking on the used market for some models.
Some things off the top of my head to search here: (these comments are based on my opinion, others may vary)
Tain = Lots of trits & Ti. Have to catch them quick when a batch comes avail or used)
McGizmo = Haiku (awesome all around, no trits) Order it today, Don will ship tomorrow
Jeff Hanko = Twisted Trident (my fav all around, all the trits your wallet can afford) Have to catch it quick when a batch is posted or used.
Cool Fall = Spy 007, new model coming out soon.
Luter = unique stuff, very artistic
Sinner = one of the best values in customs.

KBobAries

Enlightened
...visit the "Custom Builders" Subform...

Good advice but there are many excellent modders here that don't have their own sub-forums and can be hard to track down especially when they're often referred to by name/s other than their exact user name. A list of those individuals would be very helpful.

Dan

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would like to see a more definitive guide to custom lights around here. I could be way off the mark and I hope a more knowledgeable member can correct me if that's so, but I see the custom stuff as basically three categories:

1 Beautiful custom machined bodies that contain "off-the-shelf" parts - basically metal art. Someone who's really talented with a lathe and/or other machining tools and just fills it with the same sort of parts you and I can use to upgrade our existing lights. I honestly think this would encompass most of the custom makers out there. I know Sinner does it this way because he's very open about it. In fact he'll just sell you the empty body and you can build it yourself and save a few bucks. I think most of the others really do the same thing. Please don't think I'm denigrating those lights cause I'm not, just being honest about what they offer.

2 Simple lights with some amazing electronics. I think HDS is probably the prime example of this style of light and yes, I do think of those as "customs" because he's basically a one-man shop building lights by hand, and some of them take forever to get. He's made his more of a "traditional" business than some of the others, but Henry is really still custom-making his lights in a lot of ways.

3 Beautiful custom bodies with fancy custom electronics. These seem to be pretty rare, best I can tell. I think McGizmo would qualify. Not sure who else. Anyone want to add to this category?

So I guess what I'm saying, OP, is that you can have the performance of most of these custom lights if you learn to build it yourself using an existing host. What you're really paying for with most of them is metal art, unusual materials, and limited production. But again, there's nothing wrong with that if its what you want.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Much of what some consider 'custom' can be subjective. What some would consider 'beautiful' is as well.

But you guys can check out the flashlight collectors section and decide for yourselves what you prefer.

It's kinda like the discussion of "what makes it a budget light?" conversation...many agree that certain perameters apply, but opinions very enough that the site has never established a hard set in stone guideline. Each member places threads in that subforum they believe to be budget lights and conversation ensues.

If there is a 'custom light' thread it would likely become chaotic very quickly due to the variety of opinions.

I would consider Mr. Malkoff a custom light builder who builds beautiful lights. But the guys who like copper lights or prefer titanium may disagree.
Is Vihn a custom builder? Some would say yes, others may say "well, he makes existing lights better"...See what I mean?

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Don't forget Okluma! The TinyDC is the modern day classic in high end triples. He's also a great guy always working to refine his product.

Latest posts