Mismatched 18650's

pacattack81

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

From what I've read, it's been said using mismatched batteries can be dangerous. I have 4 different IMR 18650's from LG, Sony and Samsung. I want to test out the Nitecore TM16GT, but I don't have 4 of the same kind of 18650's. I plan to buy 4 of the same kind, but is it safe to test the flashlight with 4 different 18650's?

texas cop

Enlightened
Your cells should be good quality matching cells for best performance after that it goes down hill pretty quickly. 1st only quality cells, you listed LG, Sony and Samsung so you got that covered. I personally only use same cells purchased together. Different capacities, ages, manufacturers and a pipe bomb in the making. With different cells only the individual PCB's are keeping the "POOF" from happening.

ven

Flashaholic
If all are charged same, and by testing you mean a quick check to see if it works,(no long runs, just a few mode changes) then as a one off i cant see an issue. But its not good practice , quick check then remove cells imo if you do decide to.

markr6

Flashaholic
If all are charged same, and by testing you mean a quick check to see if it works,(no long runs, just a few mode changes) then as a one off i cant see an issue. But its not good practice , quick check then remove cells imo if you do decide to.

I agree. Charge them all up to the same voltage and give it a run...just enough to satisfy your curiosity until your 4 new cells arrive!

18650s are not quite the mini-hydrogen bombs many people make them out to be.

pacattack81

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. They're all from illumination supply so they're good quality cells. Hopefully they don't blow up when I test it out. Wish me luck!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think this is exactly right. Good luck, pacattack81!