6P project:general advice before I start bothering modders?

KBobAries

Enlightened
It's time for me to jump into the world of modded lights. I'll soon have a 6P (hopefully 2) with the stock tailcap in my possession that's been bored to hold an 18650. What I'd like is a semi-custom version of Streamlight's Night Com UV but with more power and better emitters keeping both of the Night Com's wavelengths and a high CRI white. The Triad tail with a McClicky inside from Oveready is a likely upgrade. What I read about UV LEDs is that they don't project well so I'm wondering if swapping reflectors would help. What are realistic distance expectations for a thrower LED? Can they get to 5 or 10 yards solidly without being at the weak end of the beam?

For the UI I'd like it fairly simple: UV @ max/low white/high white or some combination of those.

If the second 6P comes through then I'm thinking something along the lines of an improved A2 for hunting. Haven't decided yet if I want the center LED to be the red or white. Similar UI as the first.

I know what I want; just not sure what's possible with current technology. So before I start bothering the custom guys with silly PMs about lights that exist only in the movies, are the above reasonable? Possible?

Thanks,

Dan

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, another Phoenician. There's a couple of us on here.

6P is where I cut my teeth, and I still like modding them. Working on a stupid-bright quad LED w/ direct drive now.
I've not messed with UV too much, but I do have a M1 Illuminator that I plan on modding at some point. As I understand it, the emitters aren't great for throw, but the design of the reflector is how they are brought into play at longer distances.

I'm also a fan of the A2, and have modded it with the LED Onion Ring upgrade from Koala. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?288701-FS-Onion-Rings-(SF-A2-LED-rings)

~D

KBobAries

Enlightened
Nice to meet you, so to speak. ;)

My modding skills are pretty much limited to swapping batteries and changing bulbs. lol. Things get quite complex in a hurry. Regarding your throw comment can you define "longer distances?" Is my goal of 10 yards attainable?

Dan

bartko09

Enlightened
It's time for me to jump into the world of modded lights. I'll soon have a 6P (hopefully 2) with the stock tailcap in my possession that's been bored to hold an 18650. What I'd like is a semi-custom version of Streamlight's Night Com UV but with more power and better emitters keeping both of the Night Com's wavelengths and a high CRI white. The Triad tail with a McClicky inside from Oveready is a likely upgrade. What I read about UV LEDs is that they don't project well so I'm wondering if swapping reflectors would help. What are realistic distance expectations for a thrower LED? Can they get to 5 or 10 yards solidly without being at the weak end of the beam?

Dan-

I just modified 10 6P's. I bored the bodies to 18650 and installed McClicky switches in them. (RTD has them about 10-12 bucks cheaper than OR)

http://www.rtdvapor.com/mcclicky-switch/

I then built a triple Nichia 219C, drop in made of solid brass, being driven by a 17DD S08 FET driver and put all the pretty bells and whistles on it. (GITD + o rings). Here's a few pics. Feel free to shoot me a PM for ideas or help

Last edited:

bartko09

Enlightened
Meant to also mention that one of Mod's I did had the exact same drop in except I used Cree XPE2 Torche LEDs which are binned at 10,000k. Now that thing is a bright throw champ

(Dark pics are control shots, all pics were taken from an iphone)

KBobAries

Enlightened
Bartko09,

That's some nice work. I'll definitely be getting in touch with you.

DrafterDan,

Thanks for the link. Ordered 4 yesterday afternoon.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Well, that's not good then. I strongly feel that we should support those who create.
I will only but then from OR now.
Thank you for the support

Interesting. I figured they were buying direct from Don?

Authentic mcclicky or are you suggesting that the switch is cloned too?
Sorry for the confusion. Our kit has 4 parts:

RING
Specific part designed by and available only from OR

SWITCH
Specific part designed by and available only from Don

BOOT
generic off the shelf part

SPACER
generic off the shelf part​

The switch is to complex to copy in small quantities. So all switches are authentic. But a switch without an adapter ring to install it, is just an enticing possibility. A normal rational shop would make the less complex adapter in China and charge such a low price no one would bother copying it. But I am not a normal rational guy and insist on making parts in the US. So the intuitively cheaper adapter became the most expensive part. And this leaves ample room for anyone who cares to duplicate the ring and buy everything else above.

The issue is one of my own creation and I could still move production. But I'm still that guy.

KBobAries

Enlightened
Thats below our costs. Looks like EDC Plus bought one of our kits and sent it to a factory in China to make copies.

I don't know what EDC Plus has or hasn't done but I sincerely hope they haven't stolen something of yours. I'm regretting my purchase.

Well, that's not good then. I strongly feel that we should support those who create.
I will only but then from OR now.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

bartko09

Enlightened
No one stole anything from anyone.

I have nothing to do with EDCPlus but I've bought one of these McClicky kits from all of the mentioned sources, above, at one point or the other over the last year and it's all the same exact product. Unless I'm still confused Electron is talking about the brass adaptor ring possibly being different, between the kits, while the main piece of the kit (Don's switch) remains consistent among the kits.

He further eludes that the main difference in the kits, again the brass adaptor ring, as being outsourced to China as the main reason why EDCPlus's kit is ~$12 cheaper than his?

So effectively, he's being dominated in an otherwise competitive market because of a piece of brass? I'm not trying to be difficult but something doesn't pass the smell test.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Labor rates in China is ridiculously low. Haven't charmed much in last decade or so for workers. I've been there twice in that time frame. How can a US machinist compete with a guy overseas making literally pennies a day? On price alone, he cannot.

bartko09

Enlightened
Labor rates in China is ridiculously low. Haven't charmed much in last decade or so for workers. I've been there twice in that time frame. How can a US machinist compete with a guy overseas making literally pennies a day? On price alone, he cannot.

Completely agree. I deal with China also; haven't been there though, Dan. You must have real projects & serious capital in play. [emoji6]

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bartok, no, not at all. Its just that I have an affinity for Chinese culture, having studied their martial arts for some time now. The first trip I took there was partially sponsored by their government, so they thought it would be beneficial to run all these martial artists through several of their factories, to drum up business I suppose. I didn't buy anything, but was fascinated by their manufacturing ability and shocked by their utter disregard for employee safety or wellbeing.

Back to our regularly-scheduled program!

Latest posts