Surefire Titan-A vs. PEAK led

chou0030

Newly Enlightened
DEar all,
I decide to pull the trigger on a relatively high-priced AAA key-chain light,
and there are two lights in my list: Surefire Titan-A and PEAK led.
I like a light which is reliable and built like a tank.
I think both qualify my preferences.
Regarding beam shot, a floody light will suit my need better.
Thanks for all your very helpful suggestions.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both good lights.
Peak would be my suggestion. You would have lots of options as far as getting different heads for your light. Basically, you can get a Peak and get 4 or 5 different heads and swap them out as you please. Then if you want, sell off the ones you don't like. Chances are you will keep them.

FWIW: I own both.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have many SureFire and many Peak flashlights ... of the AAA Titan-A and the AAA Eiger, I have chosen the Eiger.

In fact, I have quite a few Eigers, and none of the Titan-A (although I do have both a CR2 Ti Titan and a CR123A T1A Titan) .

Note that the Peak has a somewhat rustic, if robust, quality however

Last edited:

chou0030

Newly Enlightened
I have many SureFire and many Peak flashlights ... of the AAA Titan-A and the AAA Eiger, I have chosen the Eiger.

In fact, I have quite a few Eigers, and none of the Titan-A (although I do have both a CR2 Ti Titan and a CR123A T1A Titan) .

Note that the Peak has a somewhat rustic, if robust, quality however

One more question about PEAK led.
If I want more flood, which head should I choose?
A small mule head seems to be only available at Oveready, but it is out of stock there.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Mule is actually more than just "flood" ... as it has no beamshape at all.

All of the Eigers are rather floody, but the "medium optic" will have less throw and more flood than the "narrow optic" .

chou0030

Newly Enlightened
Mule is actually more than just "flood" ... as it has no beamshape at all.

All of the Eigers are rather floody, but the "medium optic" will have less throw and more flood than the "narrow optic" .

Hi archimedes,
Very thanks for your fast replies.
Do you mean a "narrow optic" is still a floody one?
My current AAA keychain light is old Fenix e05, how about the flood of a Eiger compared with an e05?
I think the flood of an e05 is the lower limit for me.
Thanks a lot.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't have a Fenix E05, but yes, even the "narrow optic" is somewhat floody on the Eiger.

The "medium optic" has even more flood.

The mule does not focus the light at all, it is just a shallow flat "window" ... with an output that looks much like a bare light bulb would have.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stainless steel Peak Eiger and a Surefire Titan Plus. Both are beautifully built, but I prefer the Surefire Titan Plus over the Eiger for a couple of reasons. I was disappointed with Eiger's light output and yellow tint when using a NiMH or lithium primary cell.

Too, I think Surefire's implementation of choosing brightness levels is preferable to the QTC technology used in the variable brightness version Eigers.

surefire-titan-plus.jpg

eiger8ss.jpg

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I also have both. I agree with parnass. The QTC works but I've had flickering at low levels on the Eiger light even after it broke in. Also, you have to use a 10440 to achieve higher lumen claims while the Titan Plus uses a standard rechargeable AAA rechargeable battery. The fit and finish on my Titan Plus is much much better than the Peak. The beam pattern on the Titan is about the same as the medium optic Peak but smoother.

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened
No Eiger light but i do have the surefire titan A, I do enjoy getting near 300 lumens out of an actual aaa cell. One could also do a diffuser film I would think if you really wanted just flood although I feel like the Titan is pretty floody the way it comes. I will say this compared to my Fenix E05, the Titan ways considerably more and is just to much for me personally on a keychain. But to each their own. Good luck.

chou0030

Newly Enlightened
No Eiger light but i do have the surefire titan A, I do enjoy getting near 300 lumens out of an actual aaa cell. One could also do a diffuser film I would think if you really wanted just flood although I feel like the Titan is pretty floody the way it comes. I will say this compared to my Fenix E05, the Titan ways considerably more and is just to much for me personally on a keychain. But to each their own. Good luck.

Hi LAtraffic, thanks for your very helpful reply.
I think your titan is a Titan PLUS, but I think a Titan A and Titan Plus have the same head .
Please let me know if I make anything error.
Thanks a lot.

chou0030

Newly Enlightened
I also have both. I agree with parnass. The QTC works but I've had flickering at low levels on the Eiger light even after it broke in. Also, you have to use a 10440 to achieve higher lumen claims while the Titan Plus uses a standard rechargeable AAA rechargeable battery. The fit and finish on my Titan Plus is much much better than the Peak. The beam pattern on the Titan is about the same as the medium optic Peak but smoother.

Hi Gadgetman7, thanks for your very helpful reply.
I am surprised to hear that Peak's fit and finish is inferior than that of Peak's.
On the other hand, before starting this thread, I have some doubts about a QTC.
I always believe that more is less, and this is why I love my single mode Fenix e05 so so much.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Archimedes put it, Peaks have a kind of rustic feel to them. Built like tanks and the knurling is fine. Peaks use optics, not reflectors and can use different battery chemistries. They will have more output on li-ion cells. I don't have issues with the QTC - you can't dial in or exactly repeat an output level, but it is very efficient. I like to Lego my Oveready Peaks and especially like them with the 10180 bodies and li-ion cells.

The SureFire Titan A has a faceted reflector which delivers a nice floody beam. It uses a NiMH cell and has 2 modes.

I have both and they are nice lights. But different characters.

HKdude

Newly Enlightened
With Peaks you can get heads rated for primaries, they are stamped with a number on the battery contact, ie #8 or #5 etc, lower means lower max level, or you can get heads with an "X" stamp which indicates Li-ion only...those really put out the lumens. Primaries won't function in X heads.
I've run #8s on Li-ions, and they are brighter, but the kids at Peak said it's really hard on those numbered heads.
QTC can be finicky, but I love being able to just mash the plunger to get full output from any level or off. Seems as though you need to ramp 'em up and down a few times to smooth out the "finicky", especially if it's gone unused for a while.
Infinite levels 'twixt off and full, just twist head down for constant on.
I like 'em!

archimedes

Flashaholic
On the other hand, before starting this thread, I have some doubts about a QTC.
I always believe that more is less, and this is why I love my single mode Fenix e05 so so much.

As others have said, Peak can be custom ordered in single output (no QTC) versions.