Quark Click Owners

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one of these and I'm not understanding something. My light will not memorize moon mode. Every other setting that I turn it off in it will turn back on at that same level. If I turn it off on while on moon mode, it will turn back on at whatever the last setting was BEFORE putting it into moon mode. Anyone else's behave like this? Did I miss somewhere that these won't memorize the lowest setting?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea Ronnie that worked. Is that typical behavior? Kinda weird but at least now I know I can turn it off in moon and know it will come back on at that level.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I remembered reading Reppans first impressions of the light when it initially came out, and he described in some detail having to cycle through all the modes first before moonlight would be memorized. That's why I made the suggestion...

I honestly don't know what "typical" is for this light ;) I started a thread about it recently and got no replies except one pointing out how unpopular the Clicks are around here... :/

I think mine memorizes moonlight without having to do that, but it's visiting Foursevens at the moment to be reprogrammed, so I can't confirm.

Out of curiosity, what is the off-time required to memorize a mode on your sample? Mine's around 5 seconds.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a pro reverse clicky tail cap on mine so not sure if that makes a dif but mine memorizes it right away it seems. Still trying to get used to it. But despite this little quirk I think I'm going to really enjoy this light. Seems really well built, moon output is perfect and its bright if you need it. I have both tail caps, a single and aa body and regular and deep pocket clips. Setup as single a deep carry with reverse clicky right now. Thanks for the help. What are you having yours reprogrammed to? Mine is moon thru max and no blinking modes.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Yes, I'm having mine reprogrammed to be the same modes as yours. It came with ALL modes present, including high... and strobe and SOS and beacon. I'm glad they brought back high mode, but couldn't live with the disco modes.

Overall, I like mine too.. I put a 'pro' reverse clicky in the tailcap, and I think the UI works better that way than with the forward switch.

The only thing that bugs me is the 5-second memorization time, but that's what it says on the web site, so I figured they all come like that now. Once the blinky modes are removed, it won't be such a chore to cycle up through the modes to get back to moonlight.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed Foursevens about this and the response I got was the light needs to be in a certain mode for more than 3 seconds in order to memorize it. He didn't say anything about cycling through the entire set of modes before shutting off in moon so I assume something is wacky on my copy. Also I don't have high and it didn't ship with the pro tail cap guts. I purchased that separately.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few samples of the low voltage heads (no high mode) and they all work the same - moonlight won't memorize if set as mode 1, unless you cycle through all modes once. I actually prefer it this way, since it allows me to alternate between low and moonlight (90+% of my usage) with just a short or long press (a la D25A), and except for bedtime, I prefer to start-up on low. I only do the fully cycle to ML once a day - before bed.

Also, aside from the ML, all my modes memorize instantly. Perhaps the updated version (with high mode) have this new 3+ second wait to memorize.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few samples of the low voltage heads (no high mode) and they all work the same - moonlight won't memorize if set as mode 1, unless you cycle through all modes once. I actually prefer it this way, since it allows me to alternate between low and moonlight (90+% of my usage) with just a short or long press (a la D25A), and except for bedtime, I prefer to start-up on low. I only do the fully cycle to ML once a day - before bed.

Also, aside from the ML, all my modes memorize instantly. Perhaps the updated version (with high mode) have this new 3+ second wait to memorize.
hmmm. May have to rethink doing an RMA. I like the instant memorization and can prob get used to setting up moon. Thanks for the input Reppans.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
hmmm. May have to rethink doing an RMA. I like the instant memorization and can prob get used to setting up moon. Thanks for the input Reppans.

It looks like I'll be getting a new head back from Foursevens instead of the one I mailed in for reprogramming (long story). It my take a while because they're waiting on a shipment, but once I get it, I can follow up and confirm the behavior of the newest heads in terms of memorization time and moonlight memorization.

EDIT: to be clear, mine is the low-voltage XP-G2 QK2A version. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both xml2 and xpg2, 2AA versions... btw, you have ask for the reverse clicky module (it's free/listed in the spec) - don't think the first batch incl. them in the package, and unfortunately, they never automatically send them.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both xml2 and xpg2, 2AA versions... btw, you have ask for the reverse clicky module (it's free/listed in the spec) - don't think the first batch incl. them in the package, and unfortunately, they never automatically send them.
Yea I will definitely ask about that. Reppans any idea of output in the qk2a-X on eneloop with the 1aa body?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sample just showed me ~199/200 in my lightbox, which is probably ~250-260 on a Selfbuilt/Zebralight scale, but I normally get ~180 from Quark XML2s (and just got that on a Pro XML2), or a little better than half the 2xAA spec.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sample just showed me ~199/200 in my lightbox, which is probably ~250-260 on a Selfbuilt/Zebralight scale, but I normally get ~180 from Quark XML2s (and just got that on a Pro XML2), or a little better than half the 2xAA spec.
Thanks again! My guess was that everything would be cut in half approximately but didn't want to oversimplify things.

Mill321

Newly Enlightened

Reppans, I wanted to follow up on our conversation but your inbox is full so I could not respond. When you get the chance could you please clear out some space? Thanks.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reppans, I wanted to follow up on our conversation but your inbox is full so I could not respond. When you get the chance could you please clear out some space? Thanks.
Ha! I just thought he was ignoring me!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reppans what does the long press do on yours??? Long press on mine does nothing.
Edit: Wait that's not true. If I'm in low, a long press and release it's still in low, but the following half press will go to moon. So a long press and release and it won't cycle through the next higher mode. On my D25a a long press always go directly back to moon.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reppans what does the long press do on yours??? Long press on mine does nothing.
Edit: Wait that's not true. If I'm in low, a long press and release it's still in low, but the following half press will go to moon. So a long press and release and it won't cycle through the next higher mode. On my D25a a long press always go directly back to moon.

If low is memorized, then a short press takes me mode 1 (moonlight), as you found. Since moonlight won't memorize without a full cycle, then a long press takes to you back to low (or same as turning off, then back on). So that's the alternating between moonlight and low with short and long presses, the 2 modes I use 90%+. As mentioned, except for bedtime, I prefer start-up on low. The D25A is the same idea, but opposite (long press to moonlight, short press to medium). And yes, I do like the Quark's long press/instant memorization since, like the D25's short reset, you can cycle among the lower modes without having to cycle through the higher modes. The old Quark Pros had a 3-4 second reset, so I usually couldn't wait and just cycled through the higher modes.

The one thing I wish the D25A had, is moonlight and low (the lower low) on the same programming bank.