Do you like delays on lights at power on?

• NO

Votes: 55 88.7%
  • YES

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

For example Fenix changed the TK75 (2015) to make the right button have a 0.5 second delay at power on.

The left button goes to turbo from off but has its problems as set out in post 4.

I prefer the old version that has no delays at power on or anywhere else.

That is just my opinion on one light.

What is your preference on your lights?

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
For example Fenix changed the TK75 to make the right button have a 0.5 second delay at power on.

I prefer the old version that has no delay at power on.

The old TK75 did not have instant-on Turbo, the new TK75 2015 does.

Instant-on Turbo is awesome.

Between the two, I prefer the UI on the new TK75 2015 10:1 over the old.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old TK75 did not have instant-on Turbo, the new TK75 2015 does.

Instant-on Turbo is awesome.

Between the two, I prefer the UI on the new TK75 2015 10:1 over the old.

I have both editions and the 2015 edition has the newly added 0.5 second delay on the right button if I use that button to turn it on.

The right button changes light levels of which there are 4 of them.

To turn it off the right button has to be pressed for about 0.5 second.

While the light is on the left button turns on the strobe starts.

If you go to strobe from off via the left button you cannot turn the light off anymore from the left button which started the light in turbo.

But then the right button can turn the light off if held down for 0.5 second.

If I start the light to turbo from the left button no levels can be changed and the only way to turn it off is by using the right button held down for about 0.5 second.

IT IS REALLY CONFUSING ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM IN A HURRY.

The whole arrangement really gets me quite angry as the first older edition is so easy to use as I have had it since the TK75 first came out.

Right button for turn on/off.

Left button for light levels and strobe if held down for about 0.5 second.

The older edition throws better but the 2015 edition has more lumens to its credit.

Give me the old UI any day!!!

WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO THE BUYERS FENIX!!!

CHEERS

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
I don't object to it on my E25 - it's just there to keep the light from turning on in your pocket or whatever, and I pack my E25 in a suitcase when I travel. The E25UE doesn't have the delay, but you have to push both switches for 3 seconds to lock it out. IMO, six of one....

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
delayed on and/or off in your flashlight just has to be the stupidest thing ever thought of for flashlights.

tops2

Enlightened
Don't like it.

When started my journey looking at flashlights, I tried one light with delayed on and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to turn it on. I thought there was no battery or the battery ran out. I only knew after the store clerk told me. To me, its really unintuitive especially for the general public.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I don't like it on forward clicky setups. Trying to use momentary with a delay is frustrating.
I am looking at you Acebeam T20.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both editions and the 2016 edition has the newly added 0.5 second delay on the right button if I use that button to turn it on.
I assume you meant 2015 since there is no TK75 2016 .

If I start the light to turbo from the left button no levels can be changed and the only way to turn it off is by using the right button held down for about 1 second.

That is correct. But it is .5 second, not 1 second.

On the 2015, the left button is NOT to change levels, so why confuse things and make an exception to the rule???

If I start the light to turbo from the left button no levels can be changed and the only way to turn it off is by using the right button held down for about 1 second.

That is incorrect.

From the off position, the left button is just a simple on/off for direct to Turbo (no delay or long press).

Press it once and the light comes on in Turbo.

Press it again and the light turns off.

If yours does not work like this, there is a problem with your light.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[h=2]Re: Do you like delays on lights at power on?[/h]
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Oztorchfreak
I have both editions and the 2016 edition has the newly added 0.5 second delay on the right button if I use that button to turn it on.

I assume you meant 2015 since there is no TK75 2016 .

I am getting tired tonight as it is nearly 6am in the land of OZ, way past my bedtime and thinking straight ability.

I have edited my posts to reflect my errors.

quote_icon.png

That is correct. But it is .5 second, not 1 second.

On the 2015, the left button is NOT to change levels, so why confuse things and make an exception to the rule???

Where is the confusion, read the comment in red below.

quote_icon.png

That is incorrect.

From the off position, the left button is just a simple on/off for direct to Turbo (no delay or long press).

Press it once and the light comes on in Turbo.

Press it again and the light turns off.

If yours does not work like this, there is a problem with your light.

I am saying that you cannot change levels with the right button if you started the light with the left button on turbo.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted No.

There probably is a good reason for power on delay for large, powerful flashlights, but that does not mean that I will feel happy about it.

If I press a button in anticipation of instant access, and there is a delay, I go to "What's not working?" and/or "What am I doing wrong?" which yields not happy feeling.

Sorry about the small black font; my Big Bold Red key is not working.

swan

Banned
No

I do not like any delay in turning on or off, i too really like the earlier model, my tk75 ui 2900lmn model is great, it is excellent and simple, the new ui would be annoying.

While talking Fenix- i really dislike BURST mode- what a bad move there.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, frustrating. Like being stuck behind a slow lorry. Waiting in a que to get my coffee. Waiting for the charger to finish topping up those batteries urrr it goes on. And I hate it . All of it. I can feel myself turning to the darkside....... must fight the urge......

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I have 1 light with this 'feature' and it is not used for anything other than a night light even though the top end on it is 1k lumens. Any lag in how fast a light responds is annoying to unusable. I am not sure as to who this market is directed at but the trend of 'smart switches' has taken entire lines of lights out of the running for me to purchase.

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have 1 light with this 'feature' and it is not used for anything other than a night light even though the top end on it is 1k lumens. Any lag in how fast a light responds is annoying to unusable. I am not sure as to who this market is directed at but the trend of 'smart switches' has taken entire lines of lights out of the running for me to purchase.

Too right. Having to remember various single button press codes takes a light straight out of the running for me too. I don't mind level change with a half press, but after having a face full of turbo on expecting moonlight just because I missed a short press before the long is just poor. I don't know why rotary controls are not more popular - I have a SureFire U2 which has rotary brightness and a tailcap switch. No delay there and never any problems getting the light level I need (and was expecting).

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect my flashlight to respond me whether I squeeze it or twist it or push or whatever. Is that so unreasonable? Waiting is not acceptable.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a delay on my Nitecore P12 GT if a press the switch slowly. If I press quickly, then there is much less of a delay.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks obvious so far that most people prefer not having to put up with delays and others don't like half presses etc.

The most confusing UI that will leave me in an unexpected mode is definitely my Fenix TK75 (2015 4000 lumen edition).

I have now put it away from reach and replaced it with my TK75 (original 2900 lumen edition).

This would be the first time I have gone backwards in using any of my torches.

CHEERS

Minimoog

Enlightened
It looks obvious so far that most people prefer not having to put up with delays and others don't like half presses etc.

The most confusing UI that will leave me in an unexpected mode is definitely my Fenix TK75 (2015 4000 lumen edition).

I have now put it away from reach and replaced it with my TK75 (original 2900 lumen edition).

This would be the first time I have gone backwards in using any of my torches.

CHEERS

Send it off to Vinh. He will give you his custom driver, a power boost and uprate your battery carrier. My 2015 TK75 was purchased directly from Vinh and it is one of my favorite lights - especially with the 5000K LED's.