"Build" a flashlight with my Grandkids?

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
I apologize in advance if a similar thread is already available here. I am a total noob to flashlights but have become quickly very fascinated with them. Ok well always fascinated but that was just because I am totally night blind and always carry a light. But now I am becoming interested in higher end lights and maybe learning how to Lego one together.

Ok back to the topic, I am thinking of buying a Convoy S2+ for me to learn with. My question though is my Grandkids will be visiting soon and I would love a flashlight that I could take apart and build with them to keep. Of course I don't think a 18650 Convoy would be appropriate so any recommendations on a AAA or AA light I could do this with, that is reasonably priced?

Thanks so much!

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Maglite incandescents are inexpensive and fun to take apart. And you could do an LED conversion while you're at it.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you think an 18650-powered Convoy would be appropriate? Buy protected cells and use lower-powered drivers if you're concerned, but I let my kids play with my 18650-powered lights all the time, including several Convoy S2+'s. These color-matched lights I built are always a hit with the kids who see them:

usH9oaC.jpg

Of course if they're gonna be taking them home when they leave you've got charger issues to worry about, so an added expense. It probably goes without saying but I'd make sure mom and dad are okay with them bringing that sort of gear home.

If you're determined to stick with a "normal AA" light, how about those cheap Sipik SK68 lights that are all over the place, like this one? You can buy those for about nothing, strip them empty and put better components in.

Last edited:

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
Great info emarkd, thanks so much. As for the Convoy 18650, yes I was thinking of charger issues since the kids are only 5 and 7. I guess I could buy a Nitecore i4 or something similar and ship back to The East Coast with them. Also I like the colored Convoys, yes I bet the kids love those.
I have never torn down a light myself but I am going to order a couple to mess with. Just ordered a Convoy for myself and those Sipik SK68's look pretty awesome for the price!

Thanks again :)

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
The 2AA incandescent Maglite Mini comes in a bunch of colors, and you can get them for about $13. Probably less if you shop around. You can get a basic LED conversion for $10. Again, maybe less. More than a Sipik, certainly, but the 2AA Maglite is kind of a classic.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just built a Convoy S2 18350 for a friend, good fun and educational. I gave her an Xtar usb chager for not too much cost. She and I are happy bunnies. Depending on the driver, you could run it on a single CR123 cell, not as much output but I assume that's a bonus.
P

MX421

Enlightened
They aren't high end, but Tektite lights have a kit that is pretty simple to put together. Simple enough for kids that age to help even. After you are done, you pretty much have a waterproof light. Only a twist on/off mechanism though, and they are plastic. The kit was only ~$15 back when i got it for the kids when they were about that age. The problem i have with 18650 lights are the tendency of kids to look directly into the light, in addition to the charger issues mentioned above.

Last edited:

ncgrass

Enlightened
Why don't you think an 18650-powered Convoy would be appropriate? Buy protected cells and use lower-powered drivers if you're concerned, but I let my kids play with my 18650-powered lights all the time, including several Convoy S2+'s. These color-matched lights I built are always a hit with the kids who see them:

usH9oaC.jpg

Of course if they're gonna be taking them home when they leave you've got charger issues to worry about, so an added expense. It probably goes without saying but I'd make sure mom and dad are okay with them bringing that sort of gear home.

If you're determined to stick with a "normal AA" light, how about those cheap Sipik SK68 lights that are all over the place, like this one? You can buy those for about nothing, strip them empty and put better components in.

Really no one thinks that picture is awesome? Great job.

Great thread and even better info. I'll be keeping this in mind for myself when I have the time to build stuff myself.

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
Yes the pic by ncgrass is amazing. As for the thread, yes just posted this a few hours ago and I have gotten some great advice so far. Rather than pick one suggestion I may have to try a few :)
I am definitely digging the Mini Maglite upgrade suggestion as then we could even compare beams as we can build two lights and could change one to LED first and compare to the incandescent one.
The other suggestions so far are also great, thank you guys so much for sharing your time and experience!

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
Depending On how soon you need them and budget, I would recommend Solarforce L2s. They are great budget lego flashlights. You can run CR123s or 18650s with them. You can buy complete flashlights without the emitter for around $15, you can buy 1, 3, or 5+ mode emitters in various brightnesses. Pick up a couple of the colored, red, blue, green, and uv emitters as well. The quality is not Surefire, but for about 20% or less of the cost I think you will be happy. For $100 ~ $150 you can build 3 or 4 flashlights with various heads, emitters, tail caps etc. Ordering from China will take you about 3 weeks to arrive.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF you go the 18650 route, and I would, make sure you get high quality Protected cells from a reputable dealer. EX: Mtn Electronics. That should keep things safe. Besides, even if they are young, they need to know battery safety. EX: Hoverboards.

Good luck and have fun.

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pointing out my goof on the photo, emarkd, great photo!

Dave what you say sounds great and I do have time as they come the end of March. I would have to research first though as I am not sure how to pick out the emitters and such yet. I am sure I could figure that part out but I am not sure about the batteries. Seems like I should be getting the kids lights with batteries that mommy would have lying about the house.

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
As far as the emitters go, pick an assortment. You don't have to use solarforce emitters. They will take a P60 standard emitter which leaves you to choose from about a billion choices. I would choose a incandescent one, one cool white, one warm white, one neutral, a red, blue, green, and uv. The kids love the colors. The colored emitters have no color to them when the aren't on, you could surprise them with these. Get one that is floody and thrower, a really bright 1000+ lumens and a 200 lumen one and some in between. You will probably have more fun than the kids will playing with them. When the kids see the difference you get to try to explain why they are different.

On the batteries I would go for the 123 batteries, buy in bulk they are cheaper that way. Send some extra home with the grand kids. They only have a shelf life of 10 ~ 15 years.

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
I am seriously considering the mini maglites, only thing I don't like is I believe they are high mode only, wish there was a low mode. Hmm, decisions, decisions.
And yes I could buy some CR123's in bulk and send along with them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wal Marts have incan mini mags that come with batteries around $8.

Lowes and Home Depots sell a 'Nite Ize' kit for about $8 where you pull out the dual pin light bulb and push in the dual pin LED. Then swap reflectors. It's something a child guided by a grown up can do.

There's a 50/50 chance you did it backwards. So if it doesn't light, pull it out, rotate it 180 and try again.

Also comes with a push button tail cap if you want to turn it into a click on light.

They come in red, blue, black or gray (they call it pewter). The kids can trade parts n pieces of the lights if they choose.
And you guys can make some wrist lanyards from string and you can teach them differing knots to attach them to the lanyard hole on the lights.

All of these began as incans. Some are LED and others remained stock.
The blue one has the Nite Ize clicky tail cap.

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
There is a recent thread here somewhere, I'm on my phone or I'd link it here, about using the magnum star II bulb in a mini mag. You'll need to use a 6.5mm drill bit to enlarge the opening in the reflector.
You know thinking about it now I think the thread is just about Incan minimag users or something like that.

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
"Build" a flashlight with my Grandkids?

I really appreciate all the advice, gave me lots to think about. Though I did spend all last night looking and still haven't decided. I am still thinking AA lights for the kids and 18650 for me to learn, ordered a Convoy S2+ yesterday afternoon but last night was checking out Solarforce, nice.
So back to kids, seems like my only choice are maglites, could try the Sipik clones as well though not sure how much they can be disassembled, which is my goal with the kids. Maglites I can't decide if I should go incandescent and convert to LED or cheap out and just buy the LED model, so many decisions.
I do wish there were more AA options though.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

Latest posts