waterproof and drop

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

how waterproof are TNC lights - in particular the 18650's.
i want to put a vinh triple nichia drop in, in, but wondering how waterproof these hosts are.

I see some lights are rated 33ft and as low as 1 meter.

also are they pretty strong if dropped?.
shockproof?.

thanks

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
What it seems you are talking about is a P60 hosts since you mentioned using a drop-in. All my lights are waterproof and can be submerged into a deep pool. If you are using a twisty light is is recommended to turn the light on before going under water. It is best not to activate the twisty lights under water. Pushbutton lights are fine.

When you ask how strong they are when dropped. Depending on what distance, how the light hits the ground, etc. These lights are extremely strong. I have a guy who uses his light on roofs. His light is completely beat up and still works. He has dropped it several times off the roof onto cement and even two stories. The light is still working today. He knew how the light would be used so he wanted me to install a PolyCarb lens to prevent breakage.

To answer your question. These hosts are pretty shock proof.

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
Titanium may be the right choice of material if you're concerned about drops. I have copper hosts that haven't had an issue from impacts even though it's a softer metal, but I wouldn't want to drop them too much just in case.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Father, :)

I am not exactly sure of the question when asked about drops. Everything out there will most likely get some kind of mark on it from being dropped.

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
Your hosts are so stout that to seriously damage one I'd have to do something that would destroy an aluminum host. I love the solid feel and mass of the copper.

GusManB

Enlightened
Thats,Beutiful!
You make amazing work Chris ;)

Last edited:
I have a question along the same lines- are the electronics potted? I don't know much about TnC lights but I had a great chat with Bob at EM-MGT on Monday! Lots of info to digest!

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Rob,

Sorry for a late reply. I just realized there was a message.

The electronics are not potted. I have not had any issues with the electronics going bad from lights being dropped. Without potting, the electronics are able to be replaced if, by chance, something does happen to fail. It also makes the light upgradeable later on if we do come out with new electronics. We have not had any lights come back because of failed electronics, but I am not saying it can't happen.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats a good way to look at it too.

Hello Rob,

Sorry for a late reply. I just realized there was a message.

The electronics are not potted. I have not had any issues with the electronics going bad from lights being dropped. Without potting, the electronics are able to be replaced if, by chance, something does happen to fail. It also makes the light upgradeable later on if we do come out with new electronics. We have not had any lights come back because of failed electronics, but I am not saying it can't happen.

Thanks! I love the look of TnC lights. I'm more interested in hosts since I'm not into rechargable cells preferring the reliability of lithium primaries. The Copper and Ti hosts are beyond beautiful, though!

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dragon hosts were the last style designed. Available is Brass, Copper, & Titanium. These host are machined on a per order basis. Lead time to produce these hosts is 3-4 weeks. You can always e-mail me and see if I have any hosts available for immediate delivery. Sometimes when I get an order I machine an extra one incase something happens during one of the several operations. If I don't lose any I end up with an extra host.

Brass and Copper Dragon Hosts
20160504_123940.jpg

Brass and Copper Hybrids

20160504_124056.png

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Strike? That is not good. Where is the overtime... :thumbsup:

A better picture for you of the P60 Dragon Hosts.
file.php

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a good job. Well, at least building the ponds is. Cleaning, not so much. Especially if it has been a couple years since the last cleaning. I have done that before. I even have my own pond in my back yard.

Just let me know when you are ready to purchase.

I want both hybrids when I finally get back to work. I'm cleaning/ building ponds in the meantime to pay the essentials