Jetbeam        

Thread: waterproof and drop

Default waterproof and drop

Hello everyone,

how waterproof are TNC lights - in particular the 18650's.
    i want to put a vinh triple nichia drop in, in, but wondering how waterproof these hosts are.

I see some lights are rated 33ft and as low as 1 meter.

also are they pretty strong if dropped?.
    shockproof?.

thanks
    Malkoff Devices MD2 M61T, JetE17A Red AAA.

Default Re: waterproof and drop

I feel like this thread is inactive lol...but I am wondering the same thing.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Flashaholic*

What it seems you are talking about is a P60 hosts since you mentioned using a drop-in. All my lights are waterproof and can be submerged into a deep pool. If you are using a twisty light is is recommended to turn the light on before going under water. It is best not to activate the twisty lights under water. Pushbutton lights are fine.

When you ask how strong they are when dropped. Depending on what distance, how the light hits the ground, etc. These lights are extremely strong. I have a guy who uses his light on roofs. His light is completely beat up and still works. He has dropped it several times off the roof onto cement and even two stories. The light is still working today. He knew how the light would be used so he wanted me to install a PolyCarb lens to prevent breakage.

To answer your question. These hosts are pretty shock proof.
    (TnC Products) (Made in U.S.A)
    Click Here to Send an E-mai(909) 923-5311 M-Th 6am-3pm Friday 6am-12noon PST

Flashaholic*

Default waterproof and drop

Titanium may be the right choice of material if you're concerned about drops. I have copper hosts that haven't had an issue from impacts even though it's a softer metal, but I wouldn't want to drop them too much just in case.

Flashaholic*

Thanks Father,

I am not exactly sure of the question when asked about drops. Everything out there will most likely get some kind of mark on it from being dropped.

Flashaholic*

Your hosts are so stout that to seriously damage one I'd have to do something that would destroy an aluminum host. I love the solid feel and mass of the copper.

Thats,Beutiful!
    You make amazing work Chris
    Last edited by GusManB; 03-03-2016 at 02:23 PM.

I have a question along the same lines- are the electronics potted? I don't know much about TnC lights but I had a great chat with Bob at EM-MGT on Monday! Lots of info to digest!

Flashaholic*

Hello Rob,

Sorry for a late reply. I just realized there was a message.

The electronics are not potted. I have not had any issues with the electronics going bad from lights being dropped. Without potting, the electronics are able to be replaced if, by chance, something does happen to fail. It also makes the light upgradeable later on if we do come out with new electronics. We have not had any lights come back because of failed electronics, but I am not saying it can't happen.

thats a good way to look at it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TnC_Products View Post
    Hello Rob,

Sorry for a late reply. I just realized there was a message.

The electronics are not potted. I have not had any issues with the electronics going bad from lights being dropped. Without potting, the electronics are able to be replaced if, by chance, something does happen to fail. It also makes the light upgradeable later on if we do come out with new electronics. We have not had any lights come back because of failed electronics, but I am not saying it can't happen.
    Malkoff Devices MD2 M61T, JetE17A Red AAA.

Thanks! I love the look of TnC lights. I'm more interested in hosts since I'm not into rechargable cells preferring the reliability of lithium primaries. The Copper and Ti hosts are beyond beautiful, though!

Flashaholic*

The Dragon hosts were the last style designed. Available is Brass, Copper, & Titanium. These host are machined on a per order basis. Lead time to produce these hosts is 3-4 weeks. You can always e-mail me and see if I have any hosts available for immediate delivery. Sometimes when I get an order I machine an extra one incase something happens during one of the several operations. If I don't lose any I end up with an extra host.

Brass and Copper Dragon Hosts

Brass and Copper Hybrids

Flashaholic*

Why do you hybrid tempt me when I'm on strike and not getting a paycheck?

Flashaholic*

On Strike? That is not good. Where is the overtime...

A better picture for you of the P60 Dragon Hosts.

Flashaholic*

I want both hybrids when I finally get back to work. I'm cleaning/ building ponds in the meantime to pay the essentials

Flashaholic*

That is a good job. Well, at least building the ponds is. Cleaning, not so much. Especially if it has been a couple years since the last cleaning. I have done that before. I even have my own pond in my back yard.

Just let me know when you are ready to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Azmodius View Post
    I want both hybrids when I finally get back to work. I'm cleaning/ building ponds in the meantime to pay the essentials

Those Dragon hosts look amazing! Still mulling over the options but they all look great.

How do the Stainless steel flashlights hold up to drops? Are they the best for drops?
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)