CRI vs. alternatives with measurement examples

maukka

Enlightened
Hi all, I just bit the bullet and bought the highly regarded BabelColor CT&A analysis software that provides much more information than I've been able to provide regarding color rendering. Research has shown that CRI is quite inaccurate in representing the color fidelity with LED lights. CT&A is also able to extract some replacement indices, such as CQS, CRI2012 and MCRI.

I gathered here some information on metrics.

CRI: Color Rendering Index (1995)
The only widely used standard for quantifying color rendering.
Ra: Average of the first 8 (pale) color samples in the test
R9: Saturated red sample, difficult for LEDs and often negative
R10-R14: More saturated color samples

CRI is not very accurate with LED light sources and it often penalizes lights which enhance chroma but are actually preffered by human observers. The problem can be alleviated by calculating the average of Ra and GAI (Gamut Area Index). The system can also be gamed, since a light can be optimized for high Ra, while the actual color rendering is bad.

CQS: Color Quality Scale
NIST proposed replacement for CRI to better estimate color fidelity with modern light sources.
Qa: General index (RMS average of 15 samples, Q1-Q15)
Qf: Color fidelity, takes into account only hue, ignores saturation effects
Qg: Gamut area, saturation of colors

CQS Qa is calculated from 15 samples and makes the gaming of the calculation difficult. Research shows that lights with high Gamut Area Scale (Qg) are often preferred. CQS takes into account the error of increased chroma but penalizes less from it than CRI.

CRI2012 (Ra,2012)
Another proposed CRI replacement that comprises of 17 color samples, including several darker tones. Still actively worked on.

MCRI
A color rendering index based on the memory of colors in which a person is shown a set of 9 familiar objects. Research has shown that MCRI is a better indicator of color fidelity than CRI(Ra) or CQS.

Sources:
http://vision.uni-pannon.hu/LeCV/docs/2012_P01_Rajendra_Correlation_between.pdf
http://cie2.nist.gov/TC1-69/Princeton/Explanatory notes on CQS.pdf
http://babelcolor.com/index_htm_files/CT&A_Help.pdf
https://lirias.kuleuven.be/bitstream/123456789/261922/1/CRIVienna_KevinSmet.pdf

Here's a sample screenshot of all the data BabelColor CT&A's CRI function provides.
gtIUhI2.png

This is the data I measured out of my own lights with an X-Rite i1Pro in a table and graphical form. I will update these into my existing reviews later.

xjHImhF.png

nxHeuEY.png

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

IMO, your technical posts have quickly become some of the best that CPF has to offer.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Priceless for many of us. This elicits so many questions and requests to test other emitters. This exceeds your excellent post about the different color rendering of the spot, corona and spill. You are a high priest of light. Now if Semiman does not come in and refute...

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Excellent post! The write up I was looking for. I'm curious to see how the Philips LUXEON T Neutral White (Typical CRI 85, Nominal CCT 4000K) performs.

maukka

Enlightened
I added the emitters and cct/bins to the table in the OP. These are not verified, just manufacturer info.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of the other measurements have very strong correlations with the regular CRI indicator. The two with the biggest differences are R9 and GAI+Ra

maukka

Enlightened
True, only the GAI+Ra seems to deviate a bit. I'm looking forward to testing the first flashlight to have a high CRI and a low any of the others :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, only the GAI+Ra seems to deviate a bit. I'm looking forward to testing the first flashlight to have a high CRI and a low any of the others :)

Im nothing but thrilled by the info you have been posting.. I collected a few key bits from your other posts to save as a group here...
all spectral images thanks to maukka's posts:
N219b:
FNvnYtH.png

jhx6MC3.png

Nichia 219B-V1:
0GNbe5p.png

ChCPzNu.png

gj5PxLu.png

cAkatPz.png

LyUlSkR.png

4Jg3YLt.png

XPL:
MLsIcHm.png

CW XM-L2:
TuZ9Fqw.png

3kekukZ.png

TiTool
y2Zi9Yk.png

CuTool
ynPnnfL.png

maukka tested, CRI summary
UTiCKL8.png

Last edited:

maukka

Enlightened
We have a new leader. Got my Eagletac MX25L3C today with 6 Nichias and a color temp of 4700 K.

BuQigAo.png

A762o30.png

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again maukka:thumbsup:

I wish you had a H600Fc MKIII as well because I would love to see how it measures. I just ordered one because I like my H600Fd MKIII so much, need a backup for my uses, and find the "d" a bit cool for certain uses. I will compare it's CCT to the "d" with my phone app when it gets here.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Eagletac MX25L3C… color temp of 4700 K.
and CRI 91?
can you please include a spectral bell graph like this: (not sure the correct terminology)
0GNbe5p.png

...I will compare it's CCT to the "d" with my phone app when it gets here.
what phone app? me want
fwiw, the 600Fd has the highest CRI of any Zebra (I imagine the Fc is similar), the chart is skewed, data from Zebras site
Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-02-11%252520at%2525209.02.46%252520PM.jpg

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maukka, was the MX25L3C tested on high level?
The Nichia should increase in CRI the harder it's driven.
Since the little Astrolux A01 isn't driving the Nichia hard I'm curious how the MX25L3C would fair if tested at similar level to the the Astrolux.

maukka

Enlightened
Maukka, was the MX25L3C tested on high level?
The Nichia should increase in CRI the harder it's driven.
Since the little Astrolux A01 isn't driving the Nichia hard I'm curious how the MX25L3C would fair if tested at similar level to the the Astrolux.

Good point. Yes, I tested it on Turbo. The CRI drops down to match the Astrolux A01 on lower modes. I didn't save any of that data yet so cannot go back to check the exact numbers.

markr6

Flashaholic
MX25L3C Nichia...such a great light! I don't use mine often, but when I do it's so nice to see such accurate, natural colors.