Maglite....why?

kineticwash

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

I'm a newbie here, so pardon my ignorance. Growing up, I learned that Maglites were the "best" torch around. Well, not so much learned, but assumed. I'm wondering if any of the light aficionados on this sight still carry a maglite. If so, why? Or are they just a product for the uninformed masses?

I'm confused as to where they would fit,if at all, in a savvy group like this. Enlighten me! :thinking:

TYVM,

KW

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for most of us, they are a suitable modding platform. Whether it's just a simple drop in from malkoff or a lumen monster drop in from Adventure Sport done right they work really well.

For the most part though, Maglite is a trusted name with a great reputation for people who just need a simple light and go to Walmart or Lowe's to get a light. Overall they are a god brand, just don't have what most of us here look for such as constant current regulated, neutral tint, moonlight, etc. Also once you know more about lights, you can find lights less than half the size of a 2C mag that will outperform a 4D mag

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the "best" torch around.
difficult,
because output power wise / size to power wise / handling wise / ... / it was SureFire that ate Maglite,
(and a few other makers, too)
but Mag was the "best" in the "normal" price department
(considered the - for some - "high" price is/was "normal" ... compared to SF, for example)
;)
... PS: today none of both are any good anymore, they "only" are very good platforms for modding

dmattaponi

Enlightened
As a teen I remember thinking Maglite was the light to have. When I moved out on my own, my first light was a 4D Maglite. Sometime after I added a 3D Cell Mag. I used these (but mostly the 4D) as my house and truck lights for about 15 years. I loved them and thought they were great. I always kept a AA Maglite as my hunting light, and a Solitaire on my keychain which came in handy fairly often. Later when I first learned about Surefire I picked up a 6P, G2, and E1e, and couldn't believe how much nicer the beam quality was and how much better the spill was on these lights when it actually came to easily seeing something in the darkness. A bit later I made the transition to LED, an those replaced both the Maglites and the Surefires. Still I have that original 4D Maglite around here somewhere although it doesn't see any use these days. Nevertheless I still like it for what it was/is.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They turn on everytime.

Are they the greatest? Well that is subjective. But gram for gram, $ for $ they're pretty dawg gone reliable.

Are they fashionable? Uh, no. But they work when you need light, they're readily available and they're made in the US.

Basically many will say all kinds of bad things about a Mag either because of historic issues or because they haven't kept up with the times.

But simply put, yes they are good at putting out light when it's dark.

They are like Chuck Taylor sneakers. Outdated but still purchased by the millions.

So when the ac repairman whips out a mini mag there's no need to scoff that he isn't using a SureFire or an Elzetta. It should be a comfort to know he or she has enough sense to know a dependable light is a good thing...when they use their cel phone for light...then you should feel concerned.

Is the Mag the first one I reach for? You dag gone right if it's the one that's closest. I say that in a term that I have walked all the way to the other end of my house to pick up a Mini Mag incan for lighting a shadow vs a screaming blue beam light 3' away.

I carry Mag lites as backup in many instances. I have one in my briefcase, one on my desk, one in each car, and several throughout my home. I've only had one fail one time and that was right out of the package. Turns out I had put in a battery backwards.

My family has used Mag lites since they came out. You hand them a sliding head zoomie, tell 'em it's a zoomie and they twist it thinking it's a Mag. Even folks who don't own a flashlight at all.

I can hand them a SureFire or a Mag and say "pick one" and they hand me back the SureFire saying 'the Mag Lite zooms"...

Last edited:

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Great question,I often thought the same. Our fire dept. Still uses them,and I don't know why since you can't see much with them.they are pretty old and our fire dept. needs an upgrade

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
They turn on everytime.

Are they the greatest? Well that is subjective. But gram for gram, $ for $ they're pretty dawg gone reliable.

That's it. No frills... They just work. And work for a decent price. We STILL have a 3D (upgraded to LED) Mag on every floor of the house, and one in each vehicle. They are just the "just leave it there and forget about it until you need it" lights. Back in the 70s-80s, whey were first class. Streamlight came along and really put the hurt on them, then Surefire came in and the rest is history. Now there are more brands than you can think of.

There are places and areas where it is illegal to carry a firearm or knife having a legitimate blade... There are not too many places where you can be arrested for carrying a working 3-4 D sized Mag!!! When all else fails, it can make a nice compliment to anyone's security. Mag will always be around and have a place in the market.

maglite mike

Enlightened
The new line of led maglites are a good bang for the buck....easy to operate, plenty bright, durable and great run times that run on easy to find batteries. that's why they will remain the average Joe's go to light.
Great question,I often thought the same. Our fire dept. Still uses them,and I don't know why since you can't see much with them.they are pretty old and our fire dept. needs an upgrade

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's it. No frills... They just work. And work for a decent price. We STILL have a 3D (upgraded to LED) Mag on every floor of the house, and one in each vehicle. They are just the "just leave it there and forget about it until you need it" lights. Back in the 70s-80s, whey were first class. Streamlight came along and really put the hurt on them, then Surefire came in and the rest is history. Now there are more brands than you can think of.

There are places and areas where it is illegal to carry a firearm or knife having a legitimate blade... There are not too many places where you can be arrested for carrying a working 3-4 D sized Mag!!! When all else fails, it can make a nice compliment to anyone's security. Mag will always be around and have a place in the market.

I had forgotten that Streamlight had been the one to threaten the kingdom first....with cop lights.
Streamlight was making high power flashlights in the early 70's...but they were not the practical everyday type.
I suppose when they saw the Mag and Brinkmann lights were doing well they joined in.

As a lad I remember every cop had a Brinkmann or a Mag...then they all had Streamlights.

Pilot; you were there. Which was first? The rechargeable Streamlight or the Mag-charger?

I'm surprised how many young law officers still use incan lights with LED for backup.

CLHC

Flashaholic
The new line of led maglites are a good bang for the buck....easy to operate, plenty bright, durable and great run times that run on easy to find batteries. that's why they will remain the average Joe's go to light.
Also, these are the most recognized flashlight the world over. In the past 3 months I've had three (3) of their "latest" LED lights in the form of AA (claimed 272 Lumens), 2C (claimed 490 Lumens) , 3D (claimed 625 Lumens) and surprised that for the money, it's plenty bright, durable (I've dropped them from shoulder height onto AC) and did I mention plenty bright? And for someone needing a loaner, Maglites for me are easier to simply give away than SFs.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Speaking of Maglites being the platform for modding, here's one that I have (bought here on CPF some years ago) and had to dig out:

The other one I can't find.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Are they still made in America? If so they are probably the cheapest dependable flashlights made in USA. I still see plenty of professonals still using plastic incandescant flashlights so a $30 mini-mag LED is a mountain ahead of what they are using. A while ago I would of poo-pooed maglight for not having the highest lumens or runtimes, but I have realized that 200 lumens (or even 20) is plenty of light for most close up tasks.

The first flashlight I owned was an incandescent solitair, today 2 lumens is still 2 lumens but it was never really enough to do everything that I needed, I might have to try an LED version to see if it can be modded to a high CRI LED just be glad the regular folks have something that is "good enough" that they can buy at any corner store. As opposed to buying the extreme false advertising of the g-700 or whatever else is being dragged out of chineese shops.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Growing up, I learned that Maglites were the "best" torch around. Well, not so much learned, but assumed. I'm wondering if any of the light aficionados on this sight still carry a maglite. If so, why? Or are they just a product for the uninformed masses?
I guess it depends upon WHEN you were growing up. I would say, that for a time, they were the best lights around.

When I was growing up, BIC used to shoot one of their pens through a plank of wood, and then demonstrate their slogan... "writes first time... every time!" So back in the day... we would buy flashlights, where? At the corner hardware store, the five and dime, maybe at the TV tube repair shop. When I needed a flashlight, and if I had my choice, which one would I grab? the black painted tin ever-ready 2D cell with the slide switch, that I'd have to tap on its side or shake it to get it to light? OR the 3D maglight; click the button, and have light "first time - every time!" ?
Fast forward 40-50 years. Do I carry a maglight, no. A few years ago, I bought a 3D LED that also came with a 2AA mini-mag pro. I gifted the 3D to my dad, and it is his most used light. It is big, can't get lost, and heavy... it is easier for him to hold it steady, has enough light and throw for his needs, and on three Ds it has a long run-time.

My mini-mag pro is currently at my bed-side, so I can see the buttons on my tv remote.

I keep a 2AA rayovac in my car with a RED traffic diffuser, if not for that, I might use the 2AA mini-mag pro.

Most of my lights are either AAA edc lights, or 18650 Li-Ion lights.

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
Pilot; you were there. Which was first? The rechargeable Streamlight or the Mag-charger?

I'm surprised how many young law officers still use incan lights with LED for backup.

Hmmm... That was a lot of brain cells ago... Streamlight was the first one that I "saw" but I'm not sure if it was truly first. I remember Streamlight just exploding on the market around 1982-3 with the SL-20 which was just AMAZING in it's day. It really was amazing back then. I don't recall seeing a Magcharger for a year or two after, but that does not mean anything. I bought my first SL-20 in 1985. When I became a LEO in 1987 (yeah. I know) EVERYBODY as in 95% of the LEOs I knew were carrying the SL-20. The SL-20x was introduced around then, and I traded my old model in for the new one in 1989. Some departments were issuing Mag chargers, but they were the 5%.

My 1989 SL-20x made it over 20 years with only one bulb change, four battery packs, and one switch replacement. The switch is a lifetime warranty. I finally canned it a two years ago. I wish I'd have known about Malkoffs SL-20 drop ins... I'd have kept it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ thanks.
I was thinking the SL 20 lead Mag to come up with an alternative...the Mag-charger but didn't know for certain.

At some point it seemed Mag was inundated with competition...or potential competition. So they built a barrier wall with lawyers and it seemed like they were sueing everybody that used a battery to light a flashlight. I must say, a few of the mini mag clones were pretty good. $4 Asian made light that was better than the $18 US made mini mag.
I still have an incan A&N light that focuses better, is brighter and has a forward clicky with momentary.

SureFire in the meantime became king at some point. Then the copy catters all went that way and maybe through reputation left Mag alone...or maybe they found copy-catting the SureFire was more profitable...well that and Mag had become a same-ole-same-ole light maker doing things about as exciting as broccoli....

Meanwhile Streamlight quietly continued building niche lights and steadily inovating in way most didn't note, or care about. I think they've always managed to get along with SureFire and Mag Lite.

All the while Mag kept plugging along with their basic platform. Dependable US made lights. They still are. And their incan models cost less in 2016 than they did 30 years ago.

Things have kinda settled out now.
Streamlight is the LEO light, SureFire is the Warrior brand and Mag is the Wally world light.
And the world is better off for all 3.

But there are some amazing Mag mods out there.

I remember the BIC pen slogan Poppy, but do not recall the comercial. I guess the thought of Johnnie Bench twisting the baseball to show brand B takes longer to dry still fills what cells are left from back then.

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have a 2D Mag next to me now. I set myself the goal of best light quality with maximum reliability - THE go to light when I need light, no questions. I have had it years and to be honest, the 2D was the worst beam wise of the lot - like a damp cornflake. So by adding a glass lens, using 8000mAh LSD D cells, a 1.25A 2.45V Xenon frosted bulb (brighter and better beam) I have a basic but honest good quality lighting tool that runs and runs, just what I like. I am actually using it more than ever, and I do have 'better' lights to choose from. Guess I like Maglites!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Oh, I forgot about this other modded Mag (Mag85? I don't remember) here:

For incandescent (Welsh~Allyn Bulb with modded reflector and UCL, this one is much brighter than the MagCharger<<-----(not the new[er] LED one these days).