Is it worth it ?

gonzales7727

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Today I picked up these 2 Maglites at a yard sale for 5 bucks for the both of them.
I figured that pretty good deal, even though they are worn and scratched up, and from what i can tell they have the wrong bulb in them.
My question is it worth changing the bulb and other worn parts out, or would it be better to go out and buy a new one. Is it gonna cost more for parts than what the flashlights are worth? Now take it, I have no clue about flashlight or anything of that matter, I just want a decent flashlight to have in case the power goes out or maybe when I go camping.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated
thanks

nnpr12.jpg

2q87ds5.jpg
f5cepf.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Are they 4 and 5 cell versions?
Looks like one is longer.

For about $9 you can get LED bulb replacements at Home Depot etc.

Parts for switches etc can be bought from Mag.

gonzales7727

Newly Enlightened
yeah, sorry they are 3 and 4 cell, i looked online and found LED upgrade bulbs for about 10 bucks

MX421

Enlightened
Malkoff sells some upgrades as well. A friend of mine got the home depot upgrade and was dissapointed. That was a while ago though, they may be better now...

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the 3-6 D-cell maglite led module by Gene Malkoff (malkoffdevices.com). If you're new to flashlights, it might seem a little spendy at first, but you saved a fair amount of money on your lights at the yard sale, and the Malkoff module will make either of your lights an entirely different lighting instrument. They are of excellent build quality, and Mr. Malkoff stands behind his work. On 3 regular alkaline cells, you should get about 6 hours of fully regulated output, and perhaps 2 hours more in the 4-cell light. By the way, maglite rubber switch covers (maglite part# 108-034) aren't very much, and you may not need them now, but I would advise getting one (or two), before you take those lights out in the rain.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
+1 for the Malkoff upgrade, this drop-in makes the Mag orders of magnitude tougher than the original design, one very serious service light.

One thing though, no switch covers mean these Mags are not weather-sealed. You'll need to replace those, and the o-rings since they probably weren't cared for any better than the outside of the light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Guys, guys, guys...the man got 'em 2 for $5...

And the question is are they worth replacing parts or should new lights be obtained...
Not how can these lights be brighter than a freight train light with longest running batteries.

For us junkies great ideas. But I think it may be overwhelming to folks who before joining cpf thought Malkoff was a word for Russian flu.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
If nothing else is wrong with the light, and really with a maglite there is only the switch, then for 40 bucks you can have a nice light that has better heat sinking than a new mag, better runtimes, and a very reliable light. Yes there are 2xAA lights that have more lumens but the maglite with a Malkoff is a great combo.

ven

Flashaholic
Maglites are great beater lights that will outlive the owners.............treat to a malkoff and job done!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they are both well worn and missing the switch boot I would probably just use a Terralux TLE-6EX(4 cell) or TLE-6EXB(3 cell) to keep the cost low if they were my lights. The Malkoff is a great/better option if the OP wants to make the investment.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the two lights, one appears to be a "C" cell light, the other a "D" cell.

On the cheap, get two switch covers and a cheap dropin. They'll make a good light to keep in the car under the seat for emergencies.

Brand new, either light is under $35 now. Neither are rare lights, so if all you want to keep the repair cost low, switch covers, and a incan bulb replacement for under $8 for the both.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 26 D cell Mags all of different modifications. Terralux blows dont waste your money. VestureofBlood a member here sells "Superbulbs" for Mags for a fair price they are 1000 lumens. Ive tried them all from the Roar of the Pelican to Welch Allen. In the end Malkoff drop ins are the best Mag mods out there. Unless you go for the 700+ OTF lumen module they do not cost much. I have all 3 Malkoff drop ins. Oddly the 325 lumen XPG2 drop in is my favorite the thing just throooooooows...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Silver ones look great...even when they've been beat up for a while.

Like NNA said, great for uses like he described.
Look like possibly a 3D and a 4C

Last edited:

gonzales7727

Newly Enlightened
All i gotta say is that you guys are bad-*** when i comes to this stuff, thank you all for your input and opinions, for now im just gonna change the bulbs to led's and replace the lens as soon as i find the part number<----hint
rolleye11.gif

I had no clue how in depth these things can get, and unfortunately for me, it has me interested in buying more torches. I'm gonna browse the forum for my research, thanks again

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
gonzales7727,
The diameter for a D-cell maglite lens is 52.1mm, with replacements available from flashlightlens.com . I would suggest either the Borofloat glass lens, which has 94% light transmission and deals very well with heat, or the UCL glass lens, which has 98%-99% light transmission efficiency, but which might not be quite as good with thermal shock if you ever decide to do a hotwire (incandescent) mod with the same light. Get the 1.9/2mm thickness (as opposed to the 2.89mm/6mm option). Hopefully your import/VAT taxes won't be too much.

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
For what its worth regarding lenses...I picked some 52mm glass lenses from DX for really cheap...if you don't mind the shipping time. I got them to replace the scratched, yellowed plastic lenses in some of my old mags. They were cheap enough, I bought 10 in case of accidental breakage.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
108-000-801 is the part # for the oem glass lens.
But you can obtain better from Malkoff for less $.

I saw the oem glass at the big A for $11.48 ea.
Malkoff has ultraclear polycarbonate for $6 ea.
Mag oem plastic are $8 ea at the Mag site.

Some will scoff at the polycarbonate lens. But it's durable and it's cheap. And his ultra clear lenses provide a see-able difference in output vs the Mag lenses. 94% vs 85-90%

It's the material his lights arrive with.

Now anti-reflective boro-float is the good stuff, no doubt. If you ever decide to go all in on your lights that's worth the extra dough.

Last edited: