Eveready All American or Dolphin: Which Came First?

ericjohn

Enlightened
I've realized for some time now that the original Eveready Dolphin Mark 1 is just an Australian remake of the Eveready All American 108 Lantern. Or is it vice versa?

For every Australian Dolphin made there was an American equivalent.

The first Dolphin (Mark 1) came out in 1967 according to Eveready's Australia site. The All American lantern was quite popular in America in the 1960s-70s. They are always showing up on Ebay and I recently scored one. I even read that these were used by firefighters, could anyone clarify that?

According to Eveready's Australian website the Mark 2 was started in 1972 and it American Equivalent (with a Halogen bulb) was started in 1988 according to the Flashlight Museum.

The Australian Mark 3 Dolphin came out in 1988 and was later re-branded as the Sport Gear lantern in the 1990s in America.

The Flashlight Museum has all but one of the American equivalents Mark 4 (1996) and Mark 4.2 (2000) displayed in its gallery. However, I've seen these listed also as Sport Gear models on here (CPF) as well.

In 2003 The Australian Dolphin Mark 5 was re-branded in America as the Sea Beam and later the Weather Ready.

The Dolphin Mark 6 incandescent came out in 2007 but there is no incandescent version of the Mark 6 in America (I sure wish there was.)

In 2012 the LED version of the Mark 6 came out and there sure is an American equivalent of it. It's the LED Weather Ready with the model number DOLBLED2. The LED engine is said to be 50 Lumens brighter than the Australian version. I first saw these on the shelves at Wal Mart in 2015, and bought on in April of that year.

I wish I could collect all of the Australian Dolphins, but that is basically impossible. However, I can make an effort to collect the American Equivalents, of which I already have two. The original and the latest.

However in the case of the original runs which came first the Dolphin Mark 1 or the All American?

Stand by for pictures of my two "American" Dolphin Lanterns...

ericjohn

Enlightened
American%20Dolphins%201%20amp%206%20Top.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

American%20Dolphins%201%20amp%206%20Left.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

American%20Dolphins%201%20amp%206%20Right.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

American%20Dolphins%201%20amp%206%20Face.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lunchietey

Newly Enlightened
Can't help in regards to the original dolphin but do have both the latest Led and Incan versions. The LED is definitely superior to the incan which has been stored in the shed 'just in case' whereas the Led now lives on the fridge as my primary source of light at short notice.

Definitely look to be a bit 'nicer' than the american model as far as the additional printing on the head and body as well as the soft black rubber grip. Very comfortable to hold.

Interesting that they are different in Lumen output. I find the 42 hour run time to be worth 'only' having 100 lumens. Definitely bright enough for normal household and camping use.

Have owned probably all models of the dolphins through my life except perhaps the very first. I DO have clear memories of seeing them as a kid though but they will be very rare now!

Hmm, suddenly want a collection haha

Lunchietey

Newly Enlightened
I've realized for some time now that the original Eveready Dolphin Mark 1 is just an Australian remake of the Eveready All American 108 Lantern. Or is it vice versa?

For every Australian Dolphin made there was an American equivalent.

The first Dolphin (Mark 1) came out in 1967 according to Eveready's Australia site.

According to this http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/mob/collection/database/index.php?irn=112367 the dolphin torch/108 mark 1 was designed in the USA in 1965 by Eveready as a global product and sold in various countries under 2 names (all American and dolphin) It seems that it was very suited to Australian conditions and use so became extremely popular.

The mark 2 (and onwards) was definitely an Australian design, the responsibility of which was probably handed to Eveready Australia due to the sheer popularity here.

I mean you can literally buy a dolphin torch within 5 minute drive of 99% of the population haha.

I guess that answers the question?

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
According to this http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/mob/collection/database/index.php?irn=112367 the dolphin torch/108 mark 1 was designed in the USA in 1965 by Eveready as a global product and sold in various countries under 2 names (all American and dolphin) It seems that it was very suited to Australian conditions and use so became extremely popular.

The mark 2 (and onwards) was definitely an Australian design, the responsibility of which was probably handed to Eveready Australia due to the sheer popularity here.

I mean you can literally buy a dolphin torch within 5 minute drive of 99% of the population haha.

I guess that answers the question?

Yes. Thank you.

Sorry I took so long to reply.

I hopefully one day will have a collection of all the American counterparts to the Dolphin. They are frequently on ebay.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Can't help in regards to the original dolphin but do have both the latest Led and Incan versions. The LED is definitely superior to the incan which has been stored in the shed 'just in case' whereas the Led now lives on the fridge as my primary source of light at short notice.

Definitely look to be a bit 'nicer' than the american model as far as the additional printing on the head and body as well as the soft black rubber grip. Very comfortable to hold.

Interesting that they are different in Lumen output. I find the 42 hour run time to be worth 'only' having 100 lumens. Definitely bright enough for normal household and camping use.

Have owned probably all models of the dolphins through my life except perhaps the very first. I DO have clear memories of seeing them as a kid though but they will be very rare now!

Hmm, suddenly want a collection haha

Is there any way you could post pictures of yours?

ericjohn

Enlightened
I don't know if a new Dolphin or Weather Ready is about to come out, but the current Weather Ready LED 6 Volt lantern is on clearance at all the Wal Marts in my area.

I was able to get one for my grandparents for $5+tax.

Maybe this means a new one will be out shortly.

The strange thing is that they haven't even been in stores for a year and they are already discontinued.

Shame.

Energizer makes some awesome lights but then discontinues them however they make some sub par lights and keep them in production for too long.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I don't know if a new Dolphin or Weather Ready is about to come out, but the current Weather Ready LED 6 Volt lantern is on clearance at all the Wal Marts in my area.

The strange thing is that they haven't even been in stores for a year and they are already discontinued.

Shame.

Energizer makes some awesome lights but then discontinues them however they make some sub par lights and keep them in production for too long.

Case in point to my last post, these are the model numbers to all the Energizers that were discontinued but were still awesome and IMHO they should still be on the market:

231IND
D410
D420
CFL420
FAB4DCM
IN215
IN251
K220/K221/K250/K251
R215/R250 Both 1992 and 2003 models
R450
RC250
RC251
RCL1NM1
TUF4D1H
V109
VAL2DL1EN
WP1LB
WP220/WP250
TUF2D1Q
DOL1LBWRS American Version of the Australian Dolphin Mark 5.
TUF2DPE
TUF4DPE
ELMCL11L
ELMCL21L
IN2AALED
IN2DLED

I was able to own some of these but not all, but I know Energizer makes a fairly decent flashlight.

Now for the models that I do NOT care for, but are still in production:
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/compact-led-lights
http://www.energizer.com/lighting/metal-led-flashlights#2aa
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/energizer-2d-led-metal-light

These are the lights to keep up the good work on and do not discontinue until a better upgrade is made:
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/professional-flashlights
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/led-inspection-light
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/energizer-tactical-2aa-metal-flashlight
http://www.energizer.com/lighting/tactical-flashlights#1aa
http://www.energizer.com/lighting/tactical-flashlights#2led
http://www.energizer.com/flashlight...light-fusion-technology-2-in-1-led-flashlight
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/light-fusion-technology-compact-2-in-1-led-flashlight
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/rechargeable-flashlight
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/energizer-intrinsically-safe-2aa-led-flashlight
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/energizer-intrinsically-safe-2d-led-flashlight

It would sure be nice if someone from that said company is reading the thread.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shame.

It is a shame that Energizer seems to be getting rid of this light yet continues to offer the other unremarkable 6V lanterns. The Dolphin clone is a much better light IMHO and is ideal as a low cost utility/emergency lantern for the home. At least I was able to get several before they disappear,I missed out on earlier models when they were available. It would be nice to be able to get the Australian models but it will likely never happen at least not from a cost effective standpoint.

Minimoog

Enlightened
We never got any of these lights in the UK, we had the Solar lantern, but that was much later in the 1970s.

notnormal

Newly Enlightened

I'm in Canada, so this may be different or old stock, but I went to Walmart Canada to buy another Weatheready Floating Lantern and it has been revised.

Summer 2015:
DOLBLED2
150 Lumens / 35 hours / Water Resistant

Samsung LH351A LED based on a visual inspection. Cool color temp.

Summer 2016:
DOLBLED3R
200 Lumens / 25 hours / Water Resistant

Nichia LED. Looks like a NVSLE21A. Warm color temp.

DOLBLED2_versus_DOLBLED3R.jpg

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in Canada, so this may be different or old stock, but I went to Walmart Canada to buy another Weatheready Floating Lantern and it has been revised.

Summer 2015:
DOLBLED2
150 Lumens / 35 hours / Water Resistant

Samsung LH351A LED based on a visual inspection. Cool color temp.

Summer 2016:
DOLBLED3R
200 Lumens / 25 hours / Water Resistant

Nichia LED. Looks like a NVSLE21A. Warm color temp.

DOLBLED2_versus_DOLBLED3R.jpg

I haven't seen any of these lanterns since the last time I posted here in March and they were only ever available at Walmart.I hope we get this version here I would probably prefer the warm color temp. over the original cool ones.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
I have the smaller lantern shown in the photos above. The front piece that clips on broke many years ago, though, and I have no idea where it is...I likely threw it away. I would like to replace that front piece, though, so if anyone has an old Dolphin that has a good front piece but the rest is not any good, let me know, I would be interested in the front piece.

notnormal

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen any of these lanterns since the last time I posted here in March and they were only ever available at Walmart.I hope we get this version here I would probably prefer the warm color temp. over the original cool ones.

Indeed. Comparing the two, I find the warm color temp more pleasant.

I've also added a 22 ohm resistor for lower lumens and a longer runtime. Makes for a better emergency light!

ericjohn

Enlightened
Just a few minutes ago, I scored another vintage Dolphin style Eveready Lantern on eBay for $22.35...It looks like a cross between the Mark 2 and Mark 3...Actually it looks exactly like the model shown in the 1991 Eveready Dolphin commercial... This is probably not a true Dolphin, but rather what I call the "American Equivalent." According to the Flashlight Museum (which is not always accurate) it was produced around 1988 and the model number is 209. This number is used probably to pay homage to the the original All American Eveready Lantern, the 108...This is used but in very good condition. The Flashlight Museum also states that this is fitted with a Halogen PR bulb, but since this is a used light I won't know for sure until it arrives. The bulb could have been swapped for a cheaper Krypton, Argon or even vacuum bulb PR bulb when/if the original factory bulb blew. Also I wonder if only the red and gray version of this lantern was fitted with a Halogen bulb and the other colors had cheaper bulbs. Speaking of that there are a few of those floating around on eBay as well. There is also an Eveready 2251 mint in package. This model was begun in 1988 and was still on Wal Mart shelves in 1998. The included Energizer D cells have evergreen (I prefer to say Christmas) tree graphics on them, so I would guess this was made around 1994 or 1995...It would cost around $20 with shipping. The shipping is double the base price. My wife would be even more livid if I bought it because she's already mad about me buying the lantern, so I figured it should go to a flashaholic who would appreciate it's value and that's why I am announcing it here (CandlePowerForums.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just a few minutes ago, I scored another vintage Dolphin style Eveready Lantern on eBay for $22.35...It looks like a cross between the Mark 2 and Mark 3...Actually it looks exactly like the model shown in the 1991 Eveready Dolphin commercial... This is probably not a true Dolphin, but rather what I call the "American Equivalent." According to the Flashlight Museum (which is not always accurate) it was produced around 1988 and the model number is 209. This number is used probably to pay homage to the the original All American Eveready Lantern, the 108...This is used but in very good condition. The Flashlight Museum also states that this is fitted with a Halogen PR bulb, but since this is a used light I won't know for sure until it arrives. The bulb could have been swapped for a cheaper Krypton, Argon or even vacuum bulb PR bulb when/if the original factory bulb blew. Also I wonder if only the red and gray version of this lantern was fitted with a Halogen bulb and the other colors had cheaper bulbs. Speaking of that there are a few of those floating around on eBay as well. There is also an Eveready 2251 mint in package. This model was begun in 1988 and was still on Wal Mart shelves in 1998. The included Energizer D cells have evergreen (I prefer to say Christmas) tree graphics on them, so I would guess this was made around 1994 or 1995...It would cost around $20 with shipping. The shipping is double the base price. My wife would be even more livid if I bought it because she's already mad about me buying the lantern, so I figured it should go to a flashaholic who would appreciate it's value and that's why I am announcing it here (CandlePowerForums.)

Good lookin' out EJ.

I like saying Christmas too.

Flashlight museuem gets you in the ball park. But very often those folks were apparently told wrong. Being there aint diddly written about flashlights pre-2000 I appreciate at least having a basic idea of its heritage... even if it is off a few years.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen the LED model back in stores yet like notnormal reported in Canada but it is available on Amazon for U.S. cutomers ,not sure which led you get but I would guess the cool white by the product description.
Also available NIB is the Energizer Industrial Safety Lantern (459) with halogen bulb.No actual picture of the light only the box is shown.Box illustration looks like an orange and black Dolphin MK3.$24.00 free shipping.Might be similar to what ericjohn found on ebay.Think I may chance one or two as I am fan of the Dolphin design

ericjohn

Enlightened
The 459 has a Krypton bulb (and I think that's pushing it.) Halogen would be much to risky in a volatile environment. I checked the Australian Dolphin website and there is yet again a new Dolphin Lantern. This one has at least 3 LEDs. Maybe the new Canadian Weatheready is configured this way as well. The Weatheready lantern I own was discontinued and the new one has yet to hit American store shelves.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 459 has a Krypton bulb (and I think that's pushing it.) Halogen would be much to risky in a volatile environment. I checked the Australian Dolphin website and there is yet again a new Dolphin Lantern. This one has at least 3 LEDs. Maybe the new Canadian Weatheready is configured this way as well. The Weatheready lantern I own was discontinued and the new one has yet to hit American store shelves.

I was just going by what the seller description says with the Halogen bulb.It makes more sense that it is a krypton bulb being a safety lantern.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I was just going by what the seller description says with the Halogen bulb.It makes more sense that it is a krypton bulb being a safety lantern.
True... Many times the online retailers give information about their merchandise with varying degrees of inaccuracy...Few people research products these days, especially flashlights outside of the flashaholic and prepper/tactical community.

Latest posts