PowerTac Warrior 850 vs PK Warrior II

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Right now there are PK Warrior lights (a I and a II) being passed around by some members over at the "Group Buy/Pass around sub forum. In general comments are favorable.

I was contemplating the 2 cell version (the II) and after buying one was very pleased with it as a last ditch effort protective device that doubles as a pretty cool flash light. But being it's not a toy by any stretch I figure it'll get EDC'd about as often as a sword....

After checking out a few PowerTac products I bought a Warrior 850 (called the Gen II, but the light has G2 on the body). It was on clearance for $75. They have a Gen III that was close in every way to the PK output wise, but I was after a more...general use flashlight with a good output and 850 lumens is plenty.
The Gen III has their new round tail cap where you can feel the side switch. The PK and the 850 have a lanyard hole 180° away from the switch.

^^ top is the 850, bottom the PK.

Aside from the obvious differences the PK has a flat at 120° centers. The 850 has a pair at 180° opposed and a 3rd at 90° below them.
PK feels more confident in that regard.

The spacing of the Gen 2 is more to my liking as well for everyday use. The PK is brighter in each mode, has a burely design that can be used as a weapon, or a weapon light. But there were only 250 made.
There is no stated production limit to the 850. Mine is #434 so there apparently aint that many of that either. I'm less likely to be bothered if blemishes occur on the 850.
Both are HA III coated according to PowerTac.

PK Warrior is 15/288/618 and 1000 lumens.
The 850 is 7/83/404 and 850 lumens.
Both strobe on high.
Now for my use setting 2 is more to my liking on the 850. But my PK stays on setting 2 as well.

Speaking of staying on settings...both lights use a reverse clicky side switch to change settings after the light is turned on via a tail standable tail switch. Both use the switch for instant strobe with the light off. It is forward momentary for that.

When the circuit is interupted via battery removal etc the 850 returns to low. The PK remembers where it was. Nice!!!

^^ tail cap on the PK vs the 850

^^ the PK vs 850 crenallations.
You DO NOT want to drop either bezel down on a bare foot. But I believe the PK would chop off a toe.

Both lights felt about the same weight wise but the PK is better forward balanced.

Both have a removable pocket clip. It is a half circle type locked in place by a ring, yet stays put just fine without it. I removed it on both. But replacing the locking ring on the 850 results in a smooth transition, where the PK locking ring adds another raised area at the tail end I found uncomfortable when using the fist full of light technique...so it stayed off.

Both have glass lenses, but the PK head has the 'hot' caution where the 850 does not. Curious.

The 850 comes in a typical PowerTac plastic case with foam lining, places to store stuff, like the neck lanyard, the extra o-ring and tail cap cover and the supplied holster....oh and a slot for a spare battery magazine.

Speaking of holster...

^^ bezel down open top for quick retrieve
The plastic holster is a molded unit with a clip that'll easily slide over a 3" belt with a hook on the end to keep it from coming off accidently.
Both lights were able to essily slide in. But the PK requires a bit more 'push'. Both slide out lickety split. I'm not a holster guy but this one may change that.

^^ PowerTac likes supplying cases.

The PK is your typical PK Lab Designs packaing where you get a helluva a light in a no frills box with a serial number.

Both use 2 primary 123's or an 18650. The 850 is bored and sleeveless. The PK has a removable sleeve. Battery magazine fits ever so slightly better in the sleeved PK.

Both can have the bezel removed without the lens popping out. The head on the 850 is deeper. But both use the same or very similar reflector. It's raining hard out so no test pics of the 850 tonight.
I have used the PK enough to know it's a thrower with a boat load of spill with an impressive output from setting and above.

The 850 disassembles further than the PK in that both segments of the head can separate where only the top half of the PK is removable from the body.

^^ makes me think I can use other front or rear PowerTac segments for a differing look....
The PK provides access to the emitter or reflector/lens.

Now my thought was to swap out stuff from the 850 to the PK or opposite. But that was not to be. Aside from the pocket clip and emitter, nothing else Legos. My brain says PK tweaked the emitter so that may no Lego along with the reflector, but at a glance they look like they will.

I look forward to using the Warrior 850 as it has an appeal of a ProTac HL with memory, feels in hand like an MD2 with a PK FL 2 head, is weighty like a 6P but is a thrower like a big head light....and one of my favorite characteristics after I was done tweaking it... is it's completely round.

Oh, and the round tail cap I put on it also rembers the setting it was left on if circuit is interupted.

Btw, the Warrior II is now stored in the 850 case where it will remain until needed.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Beam shots:

Stopped raining after 2 days but the wife brought home a gaggle of Robert Duval flicks...He was my dads favorite actor, Gods & Generals, Lonesome Dove, cab driver in Bullitt (yup he was the cab driver)..etc etc.

Yet I slipped outside for a few minutes at a time with 5 new lights I'd yet to do a wall shot with.Keeping them sorted is the tricky part...anyway PK vs Warrior 850 pix.

The wall:
Wall shots and combo beam/spot were in setting 2 for both lights.

^^ more of a pencil spot than the PK

^^ in true PK fashion a nice broad spot
I'd say in a search and rescue scenario the PK would be better.

The combo:
In the combo pix you'll see they are both able to light up surroundings well on setting 2 and still shine a bright light a hundred feet easily... pizza delivery guy in battery sipper mode...

Now in fairness to the 850, setting 2 is 83 lumens where the PK is nearly 300.
I prefer the 850's setting 2 for everyday use.

What the neighbors saw:
I crop these to show the house a few doors down without distraction of nearby sheds and stuff. The additional 150 lumens in the PK do not make a lot of visual difference, yet the broader spot does.

^^ the neighbors thought the cops were closing in

^^ the PK has them saying 'don't shoot'

Later I'll do some lux shots on some gray items at a distance.

Does a pine tree look like a pine tree with these?

^^ you betcha!

It was cold out and my breath steam kinda accentuates how much broader the PK spot is.
The bright white beam does a good job at lighting objects a good long ways away without causing object to take on a differing color from what you'd see in daylight.
Is the CRI score great? Don't know, don't care. A pine tree looks like a pine tree and a bobcat looks like a bobcat.

So I'd say both will be great as an additional self protection item.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some Lego contemplation took place and I found that there is a bit of swap that can occur.

First thought was the Malkoff'd Warrior, but the head did not fit. Tail cap from my MD2 went on and switch worked. So how about an MD2 with insta-strobe.

^^ it worked
A 4 setting with hi/lo ring and strobe was accomplished but left things looking untidy. Yet there is potential.
It seems the tail cap side switch controls the emitter.

Well I bought the round kind for the 850 to end up with a slightly larger looking ProTac HL with memory.

My intention was to be able to take a PowerTac Warrior with me on an airline and the PK Warrior version will not likely get by the TSA folks.
This look has a chance anyway...kinder/gentler after the crenallated bezel is removed before arriving at the airport.

But what to do with that weaponized tailcap?

^^ turn that flickering Alpha into a 4 setting/insta-strober with blunt instrument tail cap, that's what..and now it tail stands to boot.

I tried an assortment of lights I have already and found that only the Malkoff and Elzetta can accept PowerTac parts and function.

^^ but it was fun trying to get Lincoln Logs to Lego with Pick up Stix.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I can't help the big red letters saying "No Hassle Lifetime Warranty" on the front of the 850's case. And a U.S. phone number for Powertac USA on the website. Both good things IMHO. Pretty cool that there is some lego potential!.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They are located in North Carolina.
Apparently they designed lights for other now famous companies and decided to go their own way now.

There is no implied warranty with the PK light. None. But it states for repair or replacement to contact PowerTac and gives phone numbers etc.

The PK Warrior is flat out a better flashlight. But the 850 light is pretty good.
At some point I'll purchase the "Hero II" so I can use my flashlight as a phone charger. lol.

So I put the pocket clip back on as a gesture towards making it a larger ProTac type of light. Since the round aftermarket tail cap does not have a lanyard hole the pocket clip aids in locating the side switch in hurried situations as it is about 45° NW (switch facing north) from the side switch.
I tossed a coin to drill for a lanyard or use the pocket clip.

In sticking with the ProTac look the pocket clip won the coin toss.

L to R: PowerTac, ProTac HL and ProTac 1aaa.

Edit:
After a couple of days using the supplied switch on my Alpha vs the round one from the 1050 light the supplied one is much easier to activate. A firm fingertip push is required with the side switch on the round tail cap.
They're some smart folks at PowerTac so my guess is that since the side switch protrudes on the completely round one the guys in lab coats decided that could result in unwarranted switch push and either stiffened the button cover or added resistance to the button (or both)...neither cover is mushy so it's hard to tell. Yet being familiar with a Microstream (and it's required fingertip action) I do not find this as an annoyance.

And I gotta say, having the supplied 850 tail cap on my Alpha has caused me to have a new excitement about said Alpha that had been relegated to a boring old night stand light. It still serves that duty, however it now has a pizazz that used to be missing. Way more personality than it's nearby counterpart...the G2x Pro...

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
search the forum for PowerTac and you will find a couple threads about how PowerTac was started by an asian Olight distributor that received a massive Olight shipment, then refused to pay Olight for the product, kept it all, sold it all and used the ill gotten profits to found PowerTac. The case is still ongoing overseas.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ well there's 3 sides to every story.
1) side a's version
2) side b's version
3) what really happened.
I chose not to choose sides about it.

Matter of fact I was just commenting to someone the other day that I hoped this thread didn't stir up any old ghosts.
I did a bit of reading about this company before purchasing the PK version. Frankly I wasn't the least bit interested in anything made by PowerTac until I bought the PK Warrior II. Bought a 2nd one and thought since some long timers said good things about their production items I'd try out the Warrior 850.
Glad I did.

In the meantime they have a Warrior 850 weapons package on close out.... $99 shipped.

3 button tape switch, universal mount (with tool and extra screws), holster, adjustable neck lanyard, button cover and extra o-ring

Here's what one guy said....

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Cant beat nice presentation and does remind me a little of the olight style(think m22/m23). Very nice, just gives that extra bit of quality/presentation feel and for the equiv of £70..............well a bargain imo .

Nicely ...........

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Looks like the same propellerheads made both lights, or one propellerhead did the spy cam thing to another propellerhead, huh?

But when I sold bicycles I learned of an Asian outfit 'contract manufacturing' for Schwinn, Diamond Back, Hoffman and DK and others... And each had their own style, innovations and durability virtues, yet at a distance all looked suspiciously alike.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So tonight Mother Nature was fairly cooperative in regards it wasn't raining, it wasn't snowing and it wasn't North Dakota cold with North Pole wind chills...
I ventured to the darkest spot in my neighborhood where there is a football field sized cul-de-sac, another football field length distance to a tree line and a big ole pine tree that casts a shadow over the cul-de-sac from a nearby street light.
Ideal except for the fog emminating from a nearby creek. On a warm, humid night with cold wet ground and cold water nearby there was a lot of moisture in the air.
That really killed any appreciable throw from my PK FL2 with it's giant spot to mega spill.

But this was about the PowerTac lights...the PK Warrior and the Warrior 850.

The Warrior 850 wasn't bad in the pea soup air. But that PK Warrior absolutely demolished any thought that Paul Kim didn't do a ground up total make over.

I paced to some land marks so measurements are +/- 50'-ish..
100 yards, 150 yards and 200 yards.
I kept see-ing deer eyes at 200 yards with the Mag 4C I used as my path lighter...oh what a fun light that is...

Anyway, the 850...

^^ 100 yards was pretty good.

^^ at 150 things got dim quickly

^^ at 200 trees were barely lit

Now the PK Warrior...

^^ it was noticeably brighter with a wider spot

^^ still respectable at a buck50

^^ at 200 I could see deer in the bushes.

Note: each photo was cropped to about 75% original frame to better highlight what is visible.
Then resized to 800 res and posted here through photo bucket.

I wore my hunting gear for all the extra pockets so I could carry several lights. All that fog kinda ruined the photo shoot. The thick humidity made the other lights seem like flooders as they lit 25' ahead with blinding light I could barely see past. But that xenon Mag 4C and my recently acquired Pelican M6 xenon cut through the fog surprisingly well.
And the 350 lumen Streamlight Stinger did better than the 650 lumen PK FL2...a lot better at slicing through fog.

One observation was that the better CRI lights did the worst in the foggy conditions minus the PK Warrior.

Last edited: