Olight SR52UT a BEAST!!

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
WOW! I just took delivery today of my new SR52UT. I am pretty amazed by this light. My previous best thrower has been an old halogen Ultrastinger I keep charging on my office wall! This light will put it to shame.. No doubt. I did a fair amount of research prior to ordering this light. I watched the YouTube videos and looked at the beam shot photos. I was prepared for a VERY bright light with AMAZING throw but the photos and videos do not do this light justice. In person it's nothing short of incredible. Quite the little beast!

The ONLY thing I haven't gotten used to yet, and I can see as a potential nuisance, is that the button isn't very "tactile". When I pick up the light to use (in the dark presumably) I find it difficult to get it in the correct position where I can activate the switch with ease. I find myself rolling the flashlight in my hand, feeling for the button with my fingers. The button itself is so light and small compared to the robustness of the light, I have a hard time finding it. Hopefully it'll get easier as I get more familiar with the light.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I'm hoping to get something along the same lines very soon and your comments are very encouraging. the olight sr52ut seems a really nice balance of being user friendly and with safer parallel cell arrangement but with serious performance. In light charging as well, its the perfect introduction into high performance throwers

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
well alright! Yet another SR52 convert! Hell yes the UT is incredible so is the base model. Build quality is out of this world. I find the rubber button to be easy to find in the dark myself but then again I am just very used to having an SR52 around. My ONLY reservation about the light is its lack of a 5th mode be it a firefly mode or a second high mode its just missing it. SR52 lens is an amazing 2mm thick! SR52 and SR52UT are some of the best high output LED lights I have ever bought in 20 years of collecting. Enjoy!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats to the SR52UT!

Yes, it's an incredible thrower and a true quality instrument. I agree with you about the sometimes difficulty to find the switch. Especially with gloves on, also using with gloves can be a bit tricky to push the switch even if I find it. I appreciate the stable tail standing which makes it useful even for indoors use for several hours at low mode and still have time left for the handhold use.

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the tail standing stability is a strong point. It would be a lot more useful if the light had a "firefly" mode. Either way I am thoroughly impressed. The build quality is superb too. I didn't expect it to feel so solid. It's like a little brick!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
now that I have 2 SR52's I may send one to Vinh for that 5th mode etc..if I remember correctly Vinh measured the SR52's lens at 2.5mm thick which is incredible. Would be my first Vinh mod hmmm...

wjv

Enlightened
Got mine a few days ago and it is an incredible light.

It puts my TK51 to shame.

Using some houses as "test subjects"
At 400 meters it actually illuminates the houses while on the medium setting! Not just reflecting street signs, but actual illumination. On high at 400 meters it looks like a police spotlight is being used from 50 feet.

An incredibly amazing light with awesome run times.

Thought I wouldn't care about the USB in light charging. But I love it. I use my phone charger and it's super easy. No pulling batteries and external chargers.

The holster is top quality and the light is small enough to be easily handled. At no time have I felt the light getting hot, even when run on max.

My Olight SR MINI II arrives in a week or two. . .

Last edited:

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
One other minor annoyance I just noticed about this light...

Originally I charged up my batteries in a Nitecore charger before playing around with this light. This morning I decided to top them off by charging them IN the flashlight for the first time. I plugged the USB cord in and the little LED turned red as it's supposed to. Then I waited and I waited for it turn green. I had barely used the light with these batteries mind you. I unplugged it and replugged it back in and this time the little LED lit up green indicating a full charge. I tried this a second time too. I used the flashlight for a couple minutes, then plugged it in to charge. After several minutes the LED was still red. Unplugged and replugged it and it turned green. Seems that the flashlight doesn't want to SWITCH the charge indicator light from red to green on its own. Should I be concerned? Or should I perhaps just run the batteries down to where the low battery indicator lights up, then charge from a much lower charge and see what happens? I really don't want to send the light in for repair/exchange. I'm having way too much fun with it!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the in light charging system in the SR52 is not the most accurate system out there. The light will charge the cells to 4.17 or 4.18v then the light will turn green. This is supposedly a built in safety measure against overcharging. I am trying to remember the old SR52 reviews but I believe the light takes 10 hours to charge all 3 cells from depletion which is due to the battery layout (all 3 cells positive end in first) makes charging evenly much more complex. Seeing as how the light already has amazing run time I barely have ever had to use the built in charger. Ive got the excellent Xtar Vc4 for my charging needs. Your NC charger should be charging nice and evenly to 4.20v as well

ven

Flashaholic
Bare in mind too, the initial charge starts off low, as does the final part(ie not at 1a rate split for the 3 cells). So if the cell has rested,arguments sake at 4.18v, you plug in, it may take 10-20 mins to trickle it up to 4.2v---------example.

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
Bare in mind too, the initial charge starts off low, as does the final part(ie not at 1a rate split for the 3 cells). So if the cell has rested,arguments sake at 4.18v, you plug in, it may take 10-20 mins to trickle it up to 4.2v---------example.

Aaaah good point. However it was sitting there plugged in with the red light, on and as soon as I would simply unplug and replug it back in, the light would switch to green. Made me think it was incapable of switching the light from red to green on its own. I just tested it again though and it worked fine. I let the flashlight sit a while, then played with it on high output for a few minutes and set it down again. Then I plugged it in and (of course) the light was red. I let it sit charging and after about 15 minutes the light turned green on its own. All seems to be well. Thanks!

ven

Flashaholic
Aaaah good point. However it was sitting there plugged in with the red light, on and as soon as I would simply unplug and replug it back in, the light would switch to green. Made me think it was incapable of switching the light from red to green on its own. I just tested it again though and it worked fine. I let the flashlight sit a while, then played with it on high output for a few minutes and set it down again. Then I plugged it in and (of course) the light was red. I let it sit charging and after about 15 minutes the light turned green on its own. All seems to be well. Thanks!

Although slightly different, i have took some 18650 cells off charge showing 4.18v as going to bed(usually reads 4.2v when "FULL"). Morning, slap them on and would show "FULL" withing 10 or so seconds........

No concern at all tbh, sure its just the way the charger works...........

wensynch

Newly Enlightened
Are 3 of the 4 sides to this light flat, for purposes of differentiating, with the only wound side opposite of the button. Round button do ergonomic feel and it does work.

Design feature I like about Olight. ST25 is one of my daily drivers. Love it.