At-home carbonated water system

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm thinking about setting up my own carbonated water system in an attempt to give up my cola addiction. I have been researching them online and I can get all the parts for about $90 on Amazon (after using about $40 worth of points). Plus another $13 to have a local company fill the empty 5lb CO2 tank.

I figured the fizzy water + some lemon juice would be a healthy alternative.

Is anyone else doing this? I just read maybe it's not so good for your teeth, but less harmful than pop. Trying to decide if I want to get into this.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my daughters bought one to hopefully reduce her daughters consumption of canned sodas, she refused to drink it saying it tastes "funny" The system was passed off to us and I basically agreed with my granddaughters opinion.

markr6

Flashaholic
One of my daughters bought one to hopefully reduce her daughters consumption of canned sodas, she refused to drink it saying it tastes "funny" The system was passed off to us and I basically agreed with my granddaughters opinion.

Probably a SodaStream? I looked at those, but decided to make my own using a regulator and 5lb tank of CO2 since I can get that refilled cheap and it would last a LONG time. Mineral water is definitely an acquired taste, and then you have to consider any flavoring added. I just like plain lime juice.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the Soda Stream unit first. If after a month you can hack the Soda Stream, then look into your own CO2 system. Through the auction site, a used kit will run you $25 or so.

If you decide on your own system, you're going to want medical or food grade CO2 not industrial or weld gas.

I'm old enough to remember the corner drug store having fountain drinks and the flavorings. A carboy of CO2 is probably $25 for established customers.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have a SodaStream, and carbonated water tastes like carbonated water to me. Same taste same smell. Every now and then I'll use it to concoct a cocktail that requires fizzy H2O.

This one I've had for a couple of years now:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your use of the board includes an agreement to not post illegal activity.

Your post has plenty of content, and is interesting enough even with only the legal content.

Feel free to edit this post to reflect your original, without including any unlawful activity. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be tempted to source the CO2 from a known food grade source. CO2 is an amazing solvent, and will absorb organics right out of the air.

Commercial CO2 usually comes either from a brewery or from oil refiners. (it is a by product of converting natural gas into H2 - needed for refining heavy oils). This stuff can be suspect, but it is widely used in commercial soda.

Another source is to use baking powder and heat it. Its more expensive, but probably a lot cleaner.

markr6

Flashaholic
If you decide on your own system, you're going to want medical or food grade CO2 not industrial or weld gas.

I was wondering about that. But most sources I see mention use for home brewers, so I assumed that would be the same, and safe, for water. There are a lot of places around me who refill for this purpose. But now I'm on the fence of even getting into this. Starting to think it will be one of those things I start, then the novelty wears off.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about that. But most sources I see mention use for home brewers, so I assumed that would be the same, and safe, for water. There are a lot of places around me who refill for this purpose. But now I'm on the fence of even getting into this. Starting to think it will be one of those things I start, then the novelty wears off.
Do the $25 Soda Stream system from ebay. If you like the system, then upgrade, if not, the most you're out is the $25 and a exchanged gas bottle.

markr6

Flashaholic
Do the $25 Soda Stream system from ebay. If you like the system, then upgrade, if not, the most you're out is the $25 and a exchanged gas bottle.

Are you talking about the replacement tank? Or an actual unit for $25?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Feel free to edit this post to reflect your original, without including any unlawful activity. - Empath

Thanks dude. On iPhone and for some reason can't copy from inbox.

Anyhow, gist of the matter, soda stream is great. Forget filling it up on the cheap and use refill exchange for convenience. Only limited by your imagination as to what you can do