Fenix LD20 - replace or repair

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
Friends,

I had a battery (Rayovac) leak in my old LD20. I can likely clean it up but wanted to ask if I'd be better served with their new model?

Thanks!

Joe

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
replace. The new model is out freaking standing and cheap. Keep the old light sure clean it up if you can we can never have enough good lights around!

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
is yours the Premium R5 edition? if you think of LD20 as tool, then i'd clean, and move on. and not lose any further thought. for example, to me (and everybody else) smartphone batteries are something we just use and don't lose any further thought about (brand, performance curve, capacity degradation, replacement cost): when we feel that the battery has become poor, we replace it, and move on.

with the growing efficiency of NiMH lights (SC52, SC5, T01, all with beautiful tints) the 2xAA form factor is nowadays the least selling one, ask dealers and manufacturers. 1000 fenix lumens out of 1x18650 are pretty common, electronic side switches too, they are USB rechargeable and as inexpensive as 30$, and flashaholics have upgraded long time ago because they're inexpensive and fun.

for a non-flashaholic, paying 30-40$ for a flashlight is absolutely unimaginable, or paying so much to replace a working one (LD20) just for getting something compacter and brighter and more efficient, it's just a tool.

to me, fenix light isn't just about being a tool. but joy. and i enjoy spending reasonable money, say 30-50$, on something new, very likable. i am not a flashaholic but i'm fine to call all my stuff (flashlights, chargers, batteries, accessories, equipment) a hobby or collection. and tbh i only use my cheapest lights for daily duty, the ones which i don't mind dropping on any ground.

just a tool? then no upgrade. you enjoy and appreciate the fenix more than for its sole lighting capability? then upgrade. my 2 cents.

life is too short. fill it with joy whenever you can (time, money, opportunity). :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF you want to try and fix it, if fixing is a option? I use baking soda and a tooth brush to clean up the mess. Assuming you can get the battery out. I use fine sandpaper to clean tube.

But, it is a great excuse to buy a new light!!!!!!! Buy a new light!!!

No more cheap batteries! I like to use Energizer Lithium cells when possible. Or Eneloops.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
if anything electronic I have gets alkaline leaked within it I consider it ruined and trash it if I cannot replace a part etc. thus I just dont use alkalines. The new light really is sweet though...

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
is yours the Premium R5 edition? if you think of LD20 as tool, then i'd clean, and move on. and not lose any further thought. for example, to me (and everybody else) smartphone batteries are something we just use and don't lose any further thought about (brand, performance curve, capacity degradation, replacement cost): when we feel that the battery has become poor, we replace it, and move on.

with the growing efficiency of NiMH lights (SC52, SC5, T01, all with beautiful tints) the 2xAA form factor is nowadays the least selling one, ask dealers and manufacturers. 1000 fenix lumens out of 1x18650 are pretty common, electronic side switches too, they are USB rechargeable and as inexpensive as 30$, and flashaholics have upgraded long time ago because they're inexpensive and fun.

for a non-flashaholic, paying 30-40$ for a flashlight is absolutely unimaginable, or paying so much to replace a working one (LD20) just for getting something compacter and brighter and more efficient, it's just a tool.

to me, fenix light isn't just about being a tool. but joy. and i enjoy spending reasonable money, say 30-50$, on something new, very likable. i am not a flashaholic but i'm fine to call all my stuff (flashlights, chargers, batteries, accessories, equipment) a hobby or collection. and tbh i only use my cheapest lights for daily duty, the ones which i don't mind dropping on any ground.

just a tool? then no upgrade. you enjoy and appreciate the fenix more than for its sole lighting capability? then upgrade. my 2 cents.

life is too short. fill it with joy whenever you can (time, money, opportunity). :)
wow! Awesome response. You're like a flashlight loving Yoda! I say fix it up and hold onto it if it's still works properly and if not get the new LD22 2015 which I have and agree it's really awesome. Or clean and keep the old one for backup. I never liked 2xaa form factor and now for whatever reason I love the feel of it in my hand. I abandoned lithium ion lights a little while back( didn't care for the hassle) so the 2xaa is my "powerful" light. Eneloop or Eneloop Pro and you're good to go. Great solid lights.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
How bad is the leakage, and did alkaline goop get into the head or tailcap? I like my LD10/20, and would certainly spend an hour or so to clean out the battery tube if critical components are not damaged. IMHO, it's a tool, and if it's still functioning after a cleaning it would be wasteful to just chuck it. However, my time is valuable, and I'm not going to spend hours trying to take apart the head on an old light when I can buy a new one for $50. Also, if you want to buy a new light, that sort of behavior is strongly encouraged (enabled) around here ;)

If only some parts can be salvaged, sell them or give them away on CPF, and put the money or karma into something else.

Last edited:

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice!

The specific model is a Fenix Digital LD20 Black Premium Q5. I ordered it back in February of 2010. To me, it's a tool and I like having AA capability. For bigger work, I have a Malkoff in 2 x 18650 - the LD20 serves primarily as a spare / backup to my headlamp when I'm camping and such.

Of note, I just tested it and it still works; I think I've saved it! As you can see in the below pics, the tail cap area / back of the body took the majority of the damage.

No more cheap batteries for me! I've heard good info about the Energizer Lithium and am glad to see it mentioned. I've also heard Energizer in general is slightly less prone to rupture/leaking - I'd like to hear if anyone can confirm.

Anyone know how clean is clean enough - if there is a bit of residue will it be an issue?
For cleanup, I used vinegar, q-tips, a brass 20 gauge bore brush and a bit of sandpaper. It sure isn't pretty, but it's an old light anyways!

Also, any major advantages of the new model? I guess it's the LD20 R5? ​http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=52&tid=10&cid=1#.VrY7D_krKUk

In any case, here's after the initial (1st) cleaning:

And here are the post secondary cleaning photos:

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would mix up a mixture of baking soda and distilled water, tap will work if you don't have distilled handy, and put the body down in the mixture. Let it soak 10 or 15 mins and then rinse, wipe out and let it dry. That will neutralize any acid left and you will be good to go.

As far as batteries go I would get a pack of eneloop rechargeables, a Nitecore D4 or Xtar charger and call it quites.

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
I would mix up a mixture of baking soda and distilled water, tap will work if you don't have distilled handy, and put the body down in the mixture. Let it soak 10 or 15 mins and then rinse, wipe out and let it dry. That will neutralize any acid left and you will be good to go.

As far as batteries go I would get a pack of eneloop rechargeables, a Nitecore D4 or Xtar charger and call it quites.

Thanks!

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little heads up with the Energizer L91 lithium batteries in the Fenix 2xAA series lights. Since the starting voltage of a new L91 cell is 1.80v, and with two of them in your flashlight, the voltage will be 3.60v. That won't hurt your flashlight but you may notice that the low mode is gone until the battery voltage drops below the Vf of the LED. The problem with 2xAA format is that the forward voltage drop of LEDs is around 3.00 Volts which is right around the starting point of batteries that are new..........so what is a driver designer to do?............boost, or a more elaborate buck-boost driver for the rare occasion that a minority few will pop some L91's in? And most of the time alkaline batteries and Eneloop rechargeable batteries remain below that Vf of the LED and those are the batteries most people use and so most manufacturers design the driver in 2AA lights as a boost circuit.

For that reason I'm very selectable on the 2xAA lights I would buy simply because I like the L91 as a battery for a vehicle emergency glove box light and want to have a battery in there that I don't have to worry about if it sits for a very long time. That is probably why I like single AA lights more than 2xAA and then just jump up to the single 18650 lights when I want a brighter light.

With that in mind, BatteryJunction is selling the Sunwayman V20A variable output 2xAA light for $34.80 this weekend only (I bought 2) and I believe this light may not have the low mode issue on L91's.

Thread of interest regarding the L91's and 2xAA form factor.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ights-primary-lithium-batteries-and-low-modes

Last edited: