Derringer

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd been thinking about getting a red Led light for some time and that flashmonkey was pulling my hair, so I ended up with a Derringer. It's not too bad. After playing with Arcs the plastic seems a bit flimsy. It probably would suffer from a hard drop. On the plus side, the high beam is clean and smooth and about equal to an Attitude, medium like an Arc, and low like an Infinity. The two levels of red are nice. I may never use the flashing modes, but they're fun for goofing. This is too big to EDC, except maybe in a coat pocket. I think if you want something with a red Led the Derringer is a worthy alternative to the Rigel Systems offerings or dedicated red lights like Pal or Infinity. It is a bit high priced for a plastic non-waterproof light, but all the modes kind of make up for that. I found it on sale at Glow-Bug (a favorite).

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Flying Turtle,

I have found the Derringer to be tougher than I first expected. I have dropped mine, kicked it, and sat on it and it still works fine. I thought the battery door would come flying off, but that has not been the case.

I use mine around the house and on camping trips. It's a lot of fun - and useful too.

Tom

Spudman

Enlightened
I have one that I carry in a coat pocket when I am using it. It kept turning on accidentally if I carried it in jeans. I also wanted it for when I need a red light (astronomy) and it fits the bill for that. I can cycle through the modes to red with my hand over the leds without ruining my night vision.

If I were to change anything on the light, it would be to make a stiffer switch to prevent accidental turn on, or maybe I just need bigger pants.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Been carrying it around the house for about a week now and can't be more pleased. The clean beam and variable brightness is very nice. I especially appreciate the easy clickie switch. Haven't dropped it yet, but so far a definite thumbs up.