Best blinding light

DaleD

Newly Enlightened
NewB needs pro advise. Is there an edc light that is best for blinding a potential intruder that could disorient them for a second or two? Many lights claim this but after testing a few, I haven't had real success yet. Tried the Olight SR30II and didn't feel it did the trick although it seemed like a great light for other purposes.

Size is a factor as I would like it to fit into a pocket or purse. Another question, am I right thinking that a combination of power and tight throw is what I should be looking for? Example, Olight M2X UT Javelot? My only problem with that is I need a flat or smooth bezel and not crenellated. In weak hands, I feel it is unsafe as it could be used against a person if obtained in a fight.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaleD,
There is a policy on this forum of discussions of flashlights being used "as weapons" being taboo. That includes the offensive uses of light output. That is probably why no one has responded to your thread. I did not want to think that you were simply ignored because you were new. I do not represent the moderators, but wanted to let you know that threads discussing the use of lights as weapons tend to get shut down fairly quickly.

DaleD

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the information and will apologize for not knowing this beforehand to the forum. Thank you for letting me know. I will seek out a forum that will allow the discussion of tactical use somewhere else.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maybe a slight title change is in order to remove lanuage that seems light will be used as an offensive weapon.

I chose not to respond simply because the request was for an output of a light the size of a traffic cone yet fits in a purse. Simply put I do not know of a light that'll do that.

But I will say there are plenty of 4-6"
2 cell lights that put out in the neighborhood 500-1000 lumens and have smooth bezels.

I too cannot speak for moderators. I did not see any malice or intent to inflict harm, but instead saw what appeared to this poster as someone trying to find a flashlight for possibly a wife/gf that can be used to thwart a would-be attacker for a few seconds....and has apparently shined some lights at themself in a mirror a few times.

Lastly I'll say this....in a dark alleyway it does not take a truck load of lumens to blind an attacker at 25 to 50' as the pupils are very, very light sensitive when adjusted to darkness. Not long ago I heard a scuffel outside of my house and saw some folks pushing my neighbors truck towards a flat bed truck. I shined a 300 lumen zoomie in spot mode onto the situation about 100-150 feet away and folks scattered like roaches when the lights come on. I heard one guy say "I aint getting shot over this ****.... Then I heard my neighbor say my name and that it's ok....

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I appreciate the information and will apologize for not knowing this beforehand to the forum. Thank you for letting me know. I will seek out a forum that will allow the discussion of tactical use somewhere else.

The use of flashlights as *flashlights* in defensive situations is permitted; which it appears is what you are talking about. There are some long running threads on tactical uses for Strobe, weapon mount setups, and other similar situations here. What is not allowed is the discussion of using flashlights as impact weapons, i.e. cracking skulls with strike bezels, or weapon light threads that drift more to the topic of shooting bad guys and less about the flashlight. As it stands, your thread is valid and is open for discussion if others wish to comment. There are also many previous threads on this that you may find helpful with a bit of searching.

:welcome:

MX421

Enlightened
Get one with a strobe. As nbp pointed out, there are a few discussions on recommended strobe frequency, etc if you do a quick search.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

DaleD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone's input and yes, it's for my daughter in Chicago who is young and walks her dog at night.....as well as coming home from work after dark in winter. No intention of using it as an impact weapon, but hoping the right light might deter aggression towards her if the situation is ever presented. I think I've found one...and if I can replace the crenelated bezel, it might be a great light. I just purchased a Fenix TK16VN and requested the bezel be changed out. If not, I'll use it at home and will continue my search for my daughters. Again, thanks and looking forward to using the forum. Great discussions and learning a bunch.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding and wise choice OP! TK16VN is flat out astonishing. As far as I know there is no other bezel for the TK16 though.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone's input and yes, it's for my daughter in Chicago who is young and walks her dog at night.....as well as coming home from work after dark in winter. No intention of using it as an impact weapon, but hoping the right light might deter aggression towards her if the situation is ever presented. I think I've found one...and if I can replace the crenelated bezel, it might be a great light. I just purchased a Fenix TK16VN and requested the bezel be changed out. If not, I'll use it at home and will continue my search for my daughters. Again, thanks and looking forward to using the forum. Great discussions and learning a bunch.

I am not sure what country you are in or the laws in that country but, I would suggest that a concealed/open carry permit, a small pistol, and some training would be much more effective in the roll you describe. Or, pepper spray, mace, or a tazer would also be better options. All only if legal where she lives of course. I also recommend some personal defense training classes for her as well before any of these items are considered.

A flashlight, by itself, is a very poor personal defense tool. Especially for someone with no training.

nbp

Flashaholic
All square, but let's just stick with the topic of flashlights, and steer clear of guns on this one.

Last edited:

DaleD

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the suggestion. She is proficient with and carries pepper spray. A good light can be a deterrent and/or could escalate a situation if used unwisely. We are looking into personal defense classes as well. Again thanks much.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P36. Smooth bezel. 2000 lumens and instant access to strobe with the touch of a single button.

If you're night vision adapted, getting hit by 2000 lumens of strobe light will have you seeing stars.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might consider one of Overready's moddolar lights. Not cheap, but small and bright.

ven

Flashaholic
Check out the PK warrior lights, sure bykfixer may have a pic or 2 , to show his off:poke:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Regarding the crenelations on the TK16, it's an alu bezel, right?

If you don't like the crenelations it's quite easy to grind/sand them off.

It will give the bezel a silverish edge but IMHO it doesn't look bad at all.

Of course the lens will also be a little more exposed.

In this post there are some pics showing my old Fenix LD10 and also a Surefire E2DL with the crenelations removed:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-impression&p=4240034&viewfull=1#post4240034

DaleD

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate all the posts gents! I"m looking researching any recommendation received. Thanks much!

Latest posts