Sky Lumen        

Thread: Streamlight Stylus Pro - Quick Fix/Remedy For Stiff Tail Cap Switch

Post Streamlight Stylus Pro - Quick Fix/Remedy For Stiff Tail Cap Switch

As some of you already know, the pushbutton tail cap switch on these units is rather stiff and can require an uncomfortable and inconvenient amount of force/pressure to engage. It's an issue with the design... I just received my first Stylus Pro and thanks to a user's advice on the comments page of an Amazon listing for this product - I was able to quickly remedy/fix the issue and improve the functionality of the flashlight.

All you need to do is the following. Take the plastic top of a pringles can or a coffee can, and use a handheld hole-puncher to punch out some plastic circular cutouts... Then simply unscrew the tail cap switch assembly and you will see exactly where you can insert the plastic cutouts in order to affect the amount of pressure that is required to activate the light. For me, I used a pringles plastic top (thinner plastic) and I found that simply 1 circular insert was enough to resolve the issue and improve the functionality of the light to my liking. I did test it with two inserts, and one insert was better.

I'm just passing this information along for anyone who owns a Stylus Pro and was unaware that this could be easily remedied - and for anyone who was considering purchasing one of these lights but was turned off by the complaints about the tail cap switch functionality.
    Maratac AAA Rev5, AAA Cu Rev4, AAA Brass Rev4 ][ Lumintop Tool Cu, Tool Ti, Worm SS ][ Fenix E05 v1, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

Default Re: Streamlight Stylus Pro - Quick Fix/Remedy For Stiff Tail Cap Switch

Thanks for the tip.
    Good lookin' out.
    The Microstream is even stiffer. I figure it's an anti pocket turn on thing. Not that that should be an issue with the Stylus lights for most.

You definitely cannot use a broad portion of a finger to get it to click on. I use a fingertip push...but with gloves on that may not work (if I can find it in my pocket with a glove on lol)

Will definitely get some pringles soon and try it out...if nothing else, pringles are tastey!!

Question:
    What did you use to unscrew the switch assembly? That thing is pretty small.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Will definitely get some pringles soon and try it out...if nothing else, pringles are tastey!!
    Haha yeah, I just enjoyed some BBQ flavored ones...

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Question:
    What did you use to unscrew the switch assembly? That thing is pretty small.
    Are you asking in reference to the Stylus Pro model? (I don't have a Microstream in my possession) The top portion of the light is about the girth of a double AA battery... It was easy to unscrew the top portion with my hands, drop the plastic insert in, and then just screw it back on... Should be straightforward..

Be sure to report back with your results once you are able to try this fix out...
    Maratac AAA Rev5, AAA Cu Rev4, AAA Brass Rev4 ][ Lumintop Tool Cu, Tool Ti, Worm SS ][ Fenix E05 v1, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

Thanks for the helpful photo and the thread link, Parnass...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
    Haha yeah, I just enjoyed some BBQ flavored ones...

Are you asking in reference to the Stylus Pro model? (I don't have a Microstream in my possession) The top portion of the light is about the girth of a double AA battery... It was easy to unscrew the top portion with my hands, drop the plastic insert in, and then just screw it back on... Should be straightforward..

Be sure to report back with your results once you are able to try this fix out...
    The stylus, protac 1aaa and microstream all use the same tail cap.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

Edit:
    Works great for momentary activation. Don't do a blooming thing about the firm finger tip press required to click it.

I used a plastic card about the thickness of a credit card.

^^ I have several for other lights later.

Being the Microstream lives in my pocket I opted to keep it stock as momentary becomes very easy to activate. But for my ProTac 1aaa, that lives in a sheath the mod makes cycling to the mode I prefer super easy now. And the Stylus Pro lights...well they are shirt pocket or sheath carry, so they got the mod too.
    1 did the trick on the Microstream. 2 caused the momentary to stay on. I did not try 2 in the other lights as 1 was such a big difference.

Going to share this in the 'tips & tricks' thread.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 02-07-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    John 3:16