Wuben        

Thread: Ok Smart People Answer Me This!

Default Ok Smart People Answer Me This!

I have a surefire Z2 with a Malkoff M61 drop in and a twisty switch. Constant on always works perfectly. Momentary flickers big time with my Keeppower 16650 but works perfectly with two surefire cr123ís . Iíve cleaned the contacts and surefire even sent me a new tail cap. The dimensions of the cr123ís and 16650 are identical side by side. Why the difference in performance??

Default Re: Ok Smart People Answer Me This!

I don't own a single Malkoff drop-in so I could be way off base, but the only difference I see is voltage. 16650 is a 4.2v battery, 2xCR123 is 6v. Is the 16650 within the working voltage range of the Malkoff driver?

Im gonna say the 16650 is actually a mm or two shorter than the 2xCR123's. I dont have my calipers at the moment but eyeballing my 2xDuracell CR123s stacked on top of eachother is an easy solid mm or a bit more longer than the 16650 thus making better contact inside the light.

Ive seen Gene Malkoff suggest on here, that you can stretch the contact spring on the M61, he says it will do no damage, and not void your warranty. This should give you a better contact for momentary.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Yes, I also think a contact issue is most likely.

A pair of CR123A should be ~ 68-69mm in length, while a 16650 should be ~ 65mm (if unprotected) or 66-67mm (if protected).

The shorter cell may not be making reliable contact with the spring in the Malkoff.

EDIT .... and don't use metal calipers to measure the battery
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-07-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

lol np they are plastic...wish I knew where they are

Ok I'll try to stretch the spring and report back. That makes sense. Thanks.

Stretched the spring. Momentary still flickers with the 16650. I put the 16650 next to the cr123's again. If anything the 16650 is a hair longer than the cr123's. And the tailcap removed some gold plating on the negative side of the 16650. So it's not a tension or contact issue. This light is my nightstand light. If I can't get this resolved I have no problem leaving primaries in it. I just thought a rechargeable would be nice to have when using the light for general use instead of burning through my lithium stash.

I agree it sounds like a contact issue which stretching the spring a little bit should work.

With the keeppower you should get a bit (probably unnoticeable) reduction in brightness over 2 cr123s- shouldn't make a flickering issue.

Have you tried a different (more than one) battery ?

Maybe a different brand, too ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

In my solarforce head lights on G2 bodies contact is good, yet I get flicker or non operation.
    So I put a shockproof head adapter ring between the M61 and the lens. Problem solved.

^^ I used this o-ring before acquiring the adapter ring from Malkoff.

If you click "P60 upgrades" at the site, it's the $1 ring on the top left.

Worth a shot anyway.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Also stretch the tail spring instead, its better than maybe accidentally tearing the malk spring off. And generally they are bigger and have more movement.

I give up. I've tried every suggestion on this thread and the rechargeable battery still doesn't work on momentary. I think I'm gonna sell it. Where do i do this? It looks brand new and has two factory tailcaps. One of them I just got in the mail from surefire.

Thanks for all the help by the way.

Is the battery a flat top or button?
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Button top keeppower protected 16650.

Flashaholic*

Surely its a voltage thing then as stated above, I dont know the m61 or any malkoff but can it run on two 16340 s ??

Or I know 3v rechargeables are available.

Ok. I'll try some 16340's and report back.

Flashaholic

I have similar problem with my sf 6p. Twist turns on stable and push button will flicker a little. I feel it is because with 16650 the voltage is lower so current is higher. And this current might be much for your switch to handle if it is not working perfectly nicely. You may need a new switch.

A&Q Moderator

I occasionally get a slight flickering issue with momentary using a keeppower 16650 with a 6P. Less so with the G2Z or C2 however it can still happen. Often twisting the tail a bit lower down than when using a 2XCR123 solves the issue aka beyond the indentation but not enough so it turns constantly on. I think the spacing is ever so slightly shorter. It's not enough of an issue to bother me in actual field use. The 16650 powers a M61L and LL just fine though think I get a bit more light with 2XCR123 but again not enough of a difference to effect actual field use.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

I may have found the cause. The tailcap Spring is digging a small but deep hole on the negative side of the 16650. There is a very sharp edge on the end of the spring where it was cut at the factory. I'll post a pic later. Maybe the spring is only making contact in one tiny spot instead of the whole negative terminal???

I think you have it. You're probably getting sparking at the tiny contact point on momentary. when you screw the tail right down it compresses the spring more and give you a greater contact area.
    I'd take the switch out and file down the rough edge. I would advise against taking the spring out while the switch is in the tailcap, as it's a right s*d to get back in.
    Instructions to remove the switch are here....
    http://www.oveready.com/images/uploads/mcclicky.html
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

If it was me, and it was MY night stand light, I can only tell you that there would be NOTHING but non-rechargable batts in it, but I guess that's just me.
    In a SHTF scenario, the best of plans will go to sh*t, so Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) is the best plan

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by flashlightsarecool View Post
    I have a surefire Z2 with a Malkoff M61 drop in and a twisty switch. Constant on always works perfectly. Momentary flickers big time with my Keeppower 16650 but works perfectly with two surefire cr123’s . I’ve cleaned the contacts and surefire even sent me a new tail cap. The dimensions of the cr123’s and 16650 are identical side by side. Why the difference in performance??
    If you will allow my uninventive and not so smart of a person reply. My bet, as your comments have alluded to, somewhere in the Keeppower, you have a loose connection. I know you've thought of this but maybe it's time for a new light.

Since it works so well on constant on. Tailcap fully tightened. Maybe I should install a mcclicky and be done with it.