New guy here asking a already answered question.......

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone [emoji4]

As the title says I'm new to posting here. I have read on this form on and off through the years though o_O

I have a question and I know it has been more then likely answered but I am using this "Taptalk" app on the phone and searching for anything is a pain [emoji31]
( internet date living in a truck isn't cheap...... sigh...... )

So I'll start with this...... I'm a truck driver. I say that with importance because I'm wanting something with aa or triple a. Finding those cr batteries at truck stops is like finding a whale in Colorado and if you do is half the price of the light. I bring extra but once in a while you burn through them quicker then normal or forget them. I have one of those GSX flashlights with the light on the side like the zebra headlamps but it eats batteries as quick as I put them in and it isn't all that bright. Can hardly reach the top of the trailer. One rough light though......

Now that that's out of the way [emoji38]

I'm needing a edc flashlight. One of those lights you sleep with. Right now I use a spot light to check my cargo but it's over kill in packed truck stops. I'm also a avid outdoorsman. Hunting fishing camping so on and so on. So it needs to be robust. Take the abuse and ask for more. Brighter is better. Watertight is a must. Do not need to be in a downpour using it and it shorts out. A headlight option would be nice. It will pretty much be permanently attached to my hip when it's not in use in my hand.

I was contemplating one of those zebra headlamps. I like them because it's not attached to the band. Have not decided which one yet. I'm willing to drop a 100 Bill on one if it's well worth it and won't brake after a few months. I am also willing to consider one that's holster carry.

So what are y'alls recommendations? :)

( remember I'm not trying to upgrade every couple of months. It has to take a good year or two of use to get my money's worth )

MX421

Enlightened
I imagine that since you are looking at Zebralight, you are considering the H52? That one has a reflector and has the most throw for a AA.

First, the headlamps:
Have you considered going to a 18650 powered headlamp? The runtime are much longer at the same brightness. I'll compare the Zebralights since i'm pretty familiar with them. (H2, Subset b is 350 lumens at 3.9 hours) for the H600 (330 lumens at the same runtime for the nuetral version) is a bit higher than the max on the H52 (300 lumens at only 0.9 hours). You'd then have the option to go to high if you needed to. If you are still convinced that AA is better, then the H52 and buy allot of rechargable NiMh batteries (or 14500s for a bit more brightness with less runtime). The H600F is essentially the same reflector, only masked with a frosted lens for a muted hotspot (less throw i think) but more flood and the H602 is a pure flood (no throw at all). I would recommend those two since you seemed to want a lot of throw.

The Armytek Tiara is speced out at higher waterproofness (is that a word?) and robustness, and they aren't bad lights. The quality control isn't as good as the Zebralights though, so make sure you buy from a US dealer (illumn is who i'd recommend) so you can get a decent customer service.

Next are the regular lights:
Everyone will have a different opinion on what is best here. There are plenty options to choose from. If you are stuck on AA, I'd again suggest a Zebralight first. For a small light that easily fits in a pocket, the SC52 for a back-up if anything else. a Eagletec DC25A (or A2 that takes two batteries). However, i don't know if they'd have enough power for looking at the top of your trailer. I don't really have any AA lights I use anymore because I've focused on the 18650 and CR123 platforms recently (except the above small efficient lights) because they are so much brighter for the not much larger size. Again, I'd recommend a 18650 light. A tough light with flexibility to upgrade later would be something that accepts a drop-in (p60 or Malkoff M60/M61). An MD2 is a good built light, but slightly over your budget. Cheaper options would be a solarforce or Lumens Factory Seraph (on sale). For their cheap price they are a great value and that leaves you plenty of money to invest in good batteries. Also, perhaps look on the marketplace here for some used ones, as a nick or two that might bother a collector, might be just fine for you. If you do that, Elzetta would be another you might be able to get within budget.

Also in the 18650 Format there are plenty of light that have sufficient throw for your needs. The Olight S30 (or newer one, the S2 i believe) are a good light. Others are BLF A6 (good UI), Fenix PD35, and a Few Nitecores. I got my dad a E20, at least i think thats what it was (was on sale), and he loves it. Lastly, the Armytek lights are good if you get a good one. The Predator/Viking have enough more than enough throw to see around your truck probably equal to you Spotlight. However, those are pricey and wouldn't allow money for batteries. Again, perhaps used.

If you go the 18650 route, buy 2 to 4 protected batteries and a good smart charger (about $10 to $30 depending on 2 bay or 4 bay, and of course brand). Nitecore has a good charger (D2/D4 off the top of my head), as does Xtar (V2/V4 off the top of my head). You'll find yourself saving a bunch on battery purchases using the rechargeable batteries.

Read the reviews on this site to see which one you think fits your needs before you buy and you should be okay.

Lastly, Slumber pass on here also drives a truck. I got a used flashlight from him awhile back. I would think he has looked around and has found a light that suits his situation nicely, thus would fits yours.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 * 18650 light, because the Li-ion cell is rechargeable, (and houses tremendously more power than any useful number of AA cells)

+ good protected cell(s)

+ a charger that can live with the power jack of Your truck

MX421

Enlightened
One additional thing on waterproof. You want to get IPX7 or preferably IPX8 with at least 2m water depth resistance. That should be sufficient.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP it sounds like you are talking about needing 3 different lights. First light I will recommend as a albeit large EDC is the new 3rd Gen XML2 LED D Cell Maglites. They are 50 bucks, splash proof, take readily available alkaline D cells and they have hours of run time on full blast best of all they throw like crazy their beam profiles are very wide.

Headlamp, any Zebralight or Armytek(Armyteks have the highest waterproof rating up to 50 meters depth)that takes the battery of your choice they are all just that good you cannot go wrong with any of them.

Both the new Maglite and the Zebra/Armytek headlamp would be a great 2 light combo to have hunting and camping. The Zebra/Armytek headlamp would be your close range light and the Maglite is your thrower.

Lastly Armyteks are some of the only lights available with the IP68(fully dust and waterproof)rating made. I own 3 they are outstanding.
Good luck and keep us posted

MX421

Enlightened
OP it sounds like you are talking about needing 3 different lights. First light I will recommend as a albeit large EDC is the new 3rd Gen XML2 LED D Cell Maglites. They are 50 bucks, splash proof, take readily available alkaline D cells and they have hours of run time on full blast best of all they throw like crazy their beam profiles are very wide.

Headlamp, any Zebralight or Armytek(Armyteks have the highest waterproof rating up to 50 meters depth)that takes the battery of your choice they are all just that good you cannot go wrong with any of them.

Both the new Maglite and the Zebra/Armytek headlamp would be a great 2 light combo to have hunting and camping. The Zebra/Armytek headlamp would be your close range light and the Maglite is your thrower.

Lastly Armyteks are some of the only lights available with the IP68(fully dust and waterproof)rating made. I own 3 they are outstanding.
Good luck and keep us posted

Wanted to point out that the Armytek flashlights have the 50m rating. The headlamps are only rated for 10m. Still thats quite a bit. The drop proof rating is also 10m. Thats per spec though, and some of their other claims are exaggerated (lumen, throw distance, and even their manufacturing origin), so a little caution there. That being said, like CelticCross74, i have a few of their lights and love them. They seem quite durable.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best light on the wall of flashlights in the sporting dpt at any of my local Wally Worlds is the 3 D cell 3rd Gen XML2 Mag for $48. Second place goes to the Coast HP7 Pro thats always available at any Lowes but they can be up to $60. The Rayovac indestructables are so-so to me. To me 100 lumens would leave me wondering if it was even turned on lol. Avoid the Bushnell and Ozark as well as Coleman brand lights they have zero on the new Maglite.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The best light on the wall of flashlights in the sporting dpt at any of my local Wally Worlds is the 3 D cell 3rd Gen XML2 Mag for $48. Second place goes to the Coast HP7 Pro thats always available at any Lowes but they can be up to $60. The Rayovac indestructables are so-so to me. To me 100 lumens would leave me wondering if it was even turned on lol. Avoid the Bushnell and Ozark as well as Coleman brand lights they have zero on the new Maglite.

I own and use several variations of the Coast HP7 and the big box version suffers from power hunger. Unless you want to keep feeding it batteries or invest in eneloops, it should be avoided in this case imo....if the typical source of batteries is truck stops? Nah.

Have you seen the pencil beam of the Rayovac 2aa? It mimics a much brighter light. Coleman and Bushnell have some pretty good stuff lately for the $15 crowd.

Can't go wrong with the latest Mags.

Mountain

Newly Enlightened
Armytek tiara A1 pro is good. Small waterproof and has a magnetic tail cap. Another good light is a Maratac Tactical. It's 2xAA. I've carried one for over a year walking trains and its never failed me.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power hunger? Not sure what you mean. Ive got 2 non pro HP7's and one pro. Unless I leave them on for a half an hour I dont notice the power drop off. My thing with Bushnell and Coleman is I bought these lights and none of them make anywhere near claimed output and they devour AA cells anyways. Blew near $100 on the 1200 lumen big Bushnell think its 9 AA's only to discover it used the ancient quad die Cree MC-E emitter leaving a big dark cross in the middle of the beam no matter what at best it is a 600 lumen light. HD has a couple Defiant models that have real XML2's cannot remember the models but they are usally the biggest Defiants they have.

Lowes also has Ultratech's which are possibly the worst designed and made lights I have seen. Got a couple Ultratechs a small one and an adjustable focus "1000 lumen" 3 D cell. Man...the finish on both of them is paint that terminates right under the tail cap in what looks like hand held brush strokes neither light puts out anywhere near claimed output and both lights "rattle" when shook. At least my HD has several smaller Coasts to choose from and last Gen LED Mags/Incans.

On HD's website they at least sell LED Lensers and Fenix as well as the big Coasts. The new XP-L HP17 is awesome its HUGE throws like nuts takes D cells and output seems dead on on top of the push pull variable focus design. Well worth the roughly 60 bucks I paid for it the aluminum must be an eighth of an inch thick.

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you want to go with a 2AA light, you can get a set of NiMH rechargeable batteries, (either eneloops, or duracells are the recommended ones), and a 2-4 place charger, that can be plugged into either a USB port, or a 12V cigar lighter.

Nitecore, and Xtar make good chargers.

Archangel72

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest a ToolVN from skylumen.com Vinh makes a very powerful little light.

Personally though I do not own one yet .. Its on order hoping to get it soon

I do own a pd35 Tac from Fenix and as far as a decent EDC yes it is uses a single 18650 battery and you can get a couple of those and a charger to live in your truck easy.

If you want something a little and I mean a little bigger get their PD40 its more of a flood but slightly brighter only bad thing it uses a 26650 rechargeable again 2 and a charger for the truck will work great
to be honest I would go with that one as it covers more area which may be better for you

But if you are only wanting to stick with the AAA or AA the ToolVn is the way to go for sure

1DaveN

Enlightened
Fenix E25UE. It'll take 2xAA lithium primaries, Eneloops, alkalines in a pinch, and li-ion 14500s. Durable, IPX-8, good lockout so it doesn't go dead on you.

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking 18650's would be perfect if you can get chargers that operate at 12 or 24v or whatever trucks use. Then the OP can use and recharge them to his heart's content at work.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25A2 with the XPG2 in neutral tint for a good all around AA light. It will throw plenty far enough and the moonlight mode would be great for use inside the sleeper. I own two D25A2 and they are my favorite lights. They have taken some serious abuse and keep on going, I know they are waterproof as they have been swimming with me. Illuminationgear/com is the best place to get Eagletac lights and if you look in the CPF discount thread there is an 8% off for CPF members.

For a headlamp I really like my Fenix HL35. It's a great all around light with really good runtimes. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412750-My-thoughts-on-the-Fenix-HL35-pics-added!
I recommend either Fenixoutfitters or Fenix-Store for any Fenix purchase

I don't own a zebralight yet but they do seem to be a really good brand and they have a large following. Most people here are recommending an 18650 light but I think for starting out and simplicity's sake a AA light is the way to go. I would pick up a pack of Eneloop rechargeable AAs and a charger such as the LaCrosse BC700 as that combination will give you the best runtimes and cut down on the cost of batteries. Also it will keep you from ending up with an alkaline battery leaking and running a light.

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
Sigh...... try to reply to this again....

Thanks for all the information everyone. Glad I didn't go with the first thing on Google.  I have quite a bit to look into now. I'm looking for more of the end of the month or so purchase. Gives me enough time to look it all up and decide and try to keep the phone date from going over. ( fifteen bucks a extra gig........ sigh....... )

I never had the best of luck from Wal-Mart type lights. Can never go wrong with a mag but they always leave me wanting more brightness. I never played with the led version.. have a sneaky feeling it will be the same way........... ( Anyone open to changing my mind on that? )

I'm not opposed to rechargeable but I have not ran across a backpacker solar panel that accepts a wall plug yet........ if any of those mentioned have a usb charger I would be more attracted to them. I understand with extra batteries it shouldn't be a worry but I'm that guy that seems to practically live in the 3 percent of the 97 that what should never happen happens......... So I get concerned. Charging in the truck is not a problem though. I also went with aa because it's universal in almost all portable electronics.

OP it sounds like you are talking about needing 3 different lights.

^^^^ although your right[emoji4] I'm not looking to bust into subcategories of specified use yet. That's a while I'm the future yet. [emoji38] I'm looking for a pocket pet or hip buddy. One that's going to live with me at all times.

e9dc0d7f16aa07c84f753e61a839aade.jpg

b0e1781f5aaffb6ec7dba48433a9c683.jpg

But I say bomb proof because like today I was in cold Colorado springs unloading and next week I'll probably be in Maryland on the Dundalk ports being soaked to the core loading.
04af2a4500a51e89b51d538a1e863946.jpg

I also drive this big ugly thing. So I'm always up and down that ladder checking. So it could be dropped from there on concrete. It could be dropped in the mud or freezing puddle or kicked or dog might decide to bury it [emoji31] I looked at those ravok but was not impressed with the lums. Seems like what I would keep in a tool bag more then anything.

Maglite makes headlamps now? Where are those hiding? Are they made of metal also? [emoji44]

Again thanks for all the instant replies everyone :) I'll be looking into what everyone advises when I get the chances.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely overlooked the part where you said hip carry. In than case take a look at the Thrunite TN4A in neutral white. The light has plenty of throw for checking the whole trailer, has a moonlight mode for inside at night and up close, plenty long enough runtimes, and it's 50 bucks. Here is a review done it.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...xAA)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

There is also the Eagletac GX30A3D, SX30A6-D, and SX25A6

As far as a USB charger take a look at Xtar. They offer several chargers that are USB compatible, just make sure to get one of their 2.1 amp 12v usb adaptors as the charger does best with the higher current.

Last edited: