SureFire LED kits questions! Please help!

ajnova

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I just found this site today and very very happy I did!!! I have been dying for more (powerful) SureFire LED kits and I thought I be waiting for a while. Then I came here and found SureFire has released more powerful kits and just haven't updated their website.

These are my questions...

1. Is there a 5 watt LED kit for the 8AX Commander yet? If so, what is the power output and battery runtime? Does it add and extra length or weight over the normal head and lamp?

2. Is there a 5 watt LED kit for the M2? Size, weight, power, runtime specs? Extra length or weight?

3. Also by looking at these forums, I have read about a new L5 and L6 LED flashlight. What are the specs for them?

4. Any word on a new more powerful version of a light like the A2 Aviator? Especially in regards to lamp output.

5. The LED kit for the E1e, does it add any extra length or weight? Is it worth it?

6. Is there any word on a holster for the M6?

7. Any word on being able to add a clip to SureFires that don't come with a clip?

8. Correct me if I'm wrong; a benefit of LED head would be if you would drop the flashlight, it wouldn't break like a lamp correct? I guess the lens could still break though. :-(

9. Any word on other (non-LED) SureFire in 2004? Or add-on more powerful lamps or something?

Where is a good place to order these new SureFire accessories and flashlights?

Thank you SO much! I know it's a lot of questions.

roguesw

Enlightened
hi ajnova, to answer a few of your questions
1) no 5 watt kit for the 8AX yet
2)yes, 5 watt for the M2, this is the L5, little bit longer than the M2 head,
3)L5 and L6 are both pretty much the same specs, just different reflectors, the L6 has a deeper reflector. The guys on the forum say there is not much difference between the two in terms of beam. Only difference is L6 can work from 9 volts and above, e.g work on the M3,M4,and M6 body, whereas the L5 will only work on 6 volts, all the 2 cell bodies.
4) dont know about that, surefire keeps things like future development close to themselves.
5) led kit for e1e is the kl1 or the kl4, kl1 is 1 watt and kl4 is 5 watt led. both will add additional length, very worth it in terms of having a regulated light in the small package of the e1e, tactical warehouse used to sell a version called the tw4, e1e body with kl4 led head.
6) dont know much about holster, maybe ripoffs holsters?
7) a lot of ppl have asked for this and yet there is none out there yet.
8) yes the pyrex lens can still break on the led kit but however, pyrex lens can be replaced and cost significantly cheaper than buying a new lamp assembly, and pyrex rarely breaks, its tempered glass. pyrex is easy to replacea as well, it has a retaining ring that holds it in place and can be removed.
9) surefire dont announce future products anymore, lots of critics in 2002 where vaporware never made it to production..., what is available is the x200 gun mounted led light, using 3watt and has 65 lumens, and very compact
10) good place to order,
http://www.tacticalwarehouse.com/
http://www.meridiantactical.com/

btw, welcome to CPF, may your light addiction grow and grow
Des

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some info and beamshots of the L4, L5 & L6 and others on my website. Click on the banner below in my signature line.

The L6 produces a bit tighter beam than the L5 because of the deeper reflector. Total light output is about the same, run time is longer with the L6 because of the 3 cells. The KL5 is not designed to work on 3 cells! I would get an LED over an incandescent anyday. Also check out the Arc4 in the Arc forum on this website.
More info on the Arc4 can be found here.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome flashlight page, Sean. Really helps me understand the differences between these lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

1. Is there a 5 watt LED kit for the 8AX Commander yet? If so, what is the power output and battery runtime? Does it add and extra length or weight over the normal head and lamp?
The KL7 Bezel will fit the 8AX. It is not yet released. No output/runtime figures have been released.

2. Is there a 5 watt LED kit for the M2? Size, weight, power, runtime specs? Extra length or weight?
The KL5 Bezel will fit the M2. Currently the L5 has been released which is an M2 body with Z58 Click Switch TailCap and KL5 Bezel.

3. Also by looking at these forums, I have read about a new L5 and L6 LED flashlight. What are the specs for them?
The L5 is an M2 body with Z58 Click Switch TailCap and KL5 Bezel.
The L6 is an M3 body with Z58 Click Switch TailCap and KL6 Bezel.

4. Any word on a new more powerful version of a light like the A2 Aviator? Especially in regards to lamp output.
No word. I very much doubt SureFire will ever release a High Output Lamp Assembly for the A2.

5. The LED kit for the E1e, does it add any extra length or weight? Is it worth it?
The KL1 (1W Luxeon) Bezel fit the E1e. The KL4 (5W Luxeon) Bezel also fits but is not officially suggested. CPF users call the E1e+KL4 the "TW4"

There are two holsters for the M6 that I am aware of. The BlackHawk M6 Pouch (which I have) and the SOE M6 Pouch (which I intend to have)

7. Any word on being able to add a clip to SureFires that don't come with a clip?
SureFire do not make such a clip. There is no reason why you can't make one yourself or pay somebody to make one for you. Also, there may be a clip designed for another application or flashlight that fits the SureFire you want a clip for. I suggest you start a thread on this topic if you would like to find out whether CPF can help.

8. Correct me if I'm wrong; a benefit of LED head would be if you would drop the flashlight, it wouldn't break like a lamp correct? I guess the lens could still break though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
LEDs are significantly less likely to break if dropped compared to incandescent bulbs. SureFire uses tempered coated Pyrex on almost all of the models. It can and does break but this is rare.
SureFire does not have any Pyrex lens replacement kits. If your SureFire lens breaks please contact SureFire. If it breaks, they will fix it.

9. Any word on other (non-LED) SureFire in 2004? Or add-on more powerful lamps or something?
No word.

Al

ajnova

Newly Enlightened
The KL7 Bezel will fit the 8AX. It is not yet released. No output/runtime figures have been released.

I can't wait to get KL7 for my 8AX! I realllllly hope it's 65 lumens or more. Any idea on release?

The KL5 Bezel will fit the M2. Currently the L5 has been released which is an M2 body with Z58 Click Switch TailCap and KL5 Bezel.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a M2 and maybe the also get KL5... More on this below...

No word. I very much doubt SureFire will ever release a High Output Lamp Assembly for the A2.

Sorry, I mean like a light like the A2 - LED and lamp just with more power.

The KL1 (1W Luxeon) Bezel fit the E1e. The KL4 (5W Luxeon) Bezel also fits but is not officially suggested. CPF users call the E1e+KL4 the "TW4"

Maybe I'll get the KL4 instead...

There are two holsters for the M6 that I am aware of. The BlackHawk M6 Pouch (which I have) and the SOE M6 Pouch (which I intend to have)

Cool thanks! I'm surprised SureFire doesn't make one! Do you like the Blackhawk holster? Or you getting the other one because you don't like the Blackhawk holster?

8. Correct me if I'm wrong; a benefit of LED head would be if you would drop the flashlight, it wouldn't break like a lamp correct? I guess the lens could still break though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
LEDs are significantly less likely to break if dropped compared to incandescent bulbs. SureFire uses tempered coated Pyrex on almost all of the models. It can and does break but this is rare.
SureFire does not have any Pyrex lens replacement kits. If your SureFire lens breaks please contact SureFire. If it breaks, they will fix it.

I currently have 8AX Commander, M6, and just got it yesterday: E1e. I love al of them for different reasons.. 8AX for very nice power, size, weight, and it's rechargeable. M6 for AMAZING power! E1e for very nice amount of light for something just so tiny and light.

I'm considering to get...

1. M2 - Shock proof (this means the lamp breaking chance is lessoned correct?), power, clip. ---- This is also waterproof correct?

2. 9AX for 2 power levels and it's rechargeable

I was also thinking of maybe L4 and/or A2. However, after reading of the new LED kits - I think it be better to get those instead.

I think having the 8AX, M2, M6, 9AN, E1e, maybe LED kit two or three will pretty much fill every situation I would need a light for.

LED kits: KL7 for 8AX - LED power and durability in a rechargeable power.

KL5 for M2 - LED power and durability in a light with a clip.

KL4 for E1e - LED power and durability in a tiny, light like that will go almost anywhere and last forever.

BTW! The clip on my E1e is SUPER tight! I can barely lift it at all with my fingers, without worrying of breaking it off. Are they suppose to be like this?

Thank you guys so much for your help!

PS Thanks Sean for the great site! And to Size15s for the e-mail with the pictures!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M2 goes one route - thicker walls, shock isolation to protect the bulb.
The G2 does another route - light-weight, shock absorbing polymer to protect the bulb.
Without a doubt I consider the M2 to be waterproof. However, if you are after a divelight there are others I would consider.

We have seen that the KLx bezels are very hard to get hold of by themselves. It has been easier and more cost effective to buy them as part of whole flashlights - the L4, L5 and L6 so far have been released.

The 9AN has a choice of output but no LED option from SureFire. I like my 9AN's though.

I find the M6 pouch very useful. I used it a lot. I need another one though so I thought I'd give SOE a try.

SureFire come up with new ideas all the time. It's difficult for me to comment on what could be coming next. I certainly think the SHOT Show is worth waiting for before you decide to spend your money.

Al

Latest posts