Wanted: forward clicky, single CR123A, 1-2 modes

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

after abstaining for a couple of years I'm looking to buy a new EDC light. I've not followed the latest developments (only noticed the absurd number of Fenix models that were brought out over the years). I own a fair share of lights, some XM-L, some XP-G, HDS, Fenix, Quark and SF. I am looking for a new candidate for EDC with the following characteristics:
- forward clicky is a must, light should come on in bright mode
- CR123A or AA/AAA single cell
- brightness should be SF E1B comparable, let's say 100lm min.
- More modes would be ok only if they don't interfere with the requirement that it always switches on at high beam by default. What I liked for this in my previous lights: Fenix design with head tightening, Surefire E1B style that defaults to high mode, 2-stage switches like Surefire used to have would be my dream.
- pricelimit: something under 100$, would prefer something in the 50€ range
- sellers in Europe would be nice, but is not a requirement

From my initial research this kind of light seems to be quite rare these days...
The Quark Tactical sounded ideal, but they are not listed on 4sevens anymore, at least clicking on tactical always brings me to the quark click series.
The surefires are still way too expensive, my E1B I got through a good deal on cpf...
I think Fenix doesn't carry a suitable light, but they're catalog has gotten so huge, I might have missed it
The closest thing I have found so far is the Lumapower Incendio, on paper it sounds good to be able to just switch to single-mode by 4 short clicks. Would be my first light from them. Is there anything else out there you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an everyday carry light, one can buy a Nitecore MH20. All one needs to do is hold the top button for a second and the MH20 comes on in high.

What will the light be used for that demands the light comes on in the high mode?

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I was looking for a light with a tail-button...

What will the light be used for that demands the light comes on in the high mode?

It comes down to personal preference pretty much. I find that most of the time I use my EDC light, I only want to check something quickly and I prefer high mode for that. I also like the tailbutton for its simplicity. Basically the less I need to think the better. With a forward clicky on the tail it's easy to get it out of the pocket, find the button, activate, deactivate and put back again. Currently I carry a Quark Mini 123 Ti and I find that's too much of a hassle to use. I also have a Fenix E35 with a side button and I found out that way, that I prefer the tail-button style.

I only use low modes when I need the longer runtime or to preserve nightvision but I find for the latter case anything brighter than my HDS is too bright anyway.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Malkoff MDC Tac version

Elzetta Alpha, but over budget

LensLight Mini, also over budget

Peak El Cap / Logan, has momentary option but no "clicky"

Last edited:

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
@archimedes: Never had a Malkoff before, but they have a good reputation if memory servers right. That one looks interesting, pretty much like an upgrade to the E1B..

EDIT: Wow, international shipping is 55$ for that :(

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I was looking for a light with a tail-button...

I don't know what folks have about tail-buttons. New things. If you must have a tail-button, with a rotating adjustment, a JETBeam RRT0SE. Very nice EDC pocket light.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
I believe OP is looking for a single CR123A flashlight.

Yep ;) The DX30LC2 does look nice, but is a little too big to be an EDC for me.

@Parrot_Quack: Tailbutton feels more natural to me, the way I usually grip a light I have my thumb there already. The Jetbeam does look interesting, I worry that the ring will switch modes in my pocket though.

Meanwhile the Nitecore MT10C has also peaked my interest. Jetbeam and Nitecore are available through amazon here, so I won't have to spend shipping costs on them.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well there is always the D25C clicky. Tight head comes on high. Loose head comes on low. Reverse clicky though. I like the eb1 but tint lottery makes it not worth the $.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD25

Forward clicky and has last mode memory so will always come on in turbo as long as you turn it off in turbo. Cool white only unfortunately.

Last edited:

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
@recDNA: I've found a store that still sells the 2014 Ti XM-L version of the D25C, that is now on my shortlist. Cons are the number of modes in low and that it's a reverse clicky. But I might accept those on a Titan light..
@Tachead: Good suggestion as well, also made the shortlist. Only con so far would be that I already bought so many Fenixes ;) I have had a couple problems with them though...
My current favourite is the Nitecore MT10C, I did not find out if it's current controlled or PWM. Pros are insane amount of light from an IMR cell, (not that I really need that), pretty much perfect UI, cons might be size as well as PWM if it has that.
Also Lumapower Incendio is still on the list.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
@recDNA: I've found a store that still sells the 2014 Ti XM-L version of the D25C, that is now on my shortlist. Cons are the number of modes in low and that it's a reverse clicky. But I might accept those on a Titan light..
@Tachead: Good suggestion as well, also made the shortlist. Only con so far would be that I already bought so many Fenixes ;) I have had a couple problems with them though...
My current favourite is the Nitecore MT10C, I did not find out if it's current controlled or PWM. Pros are insane amount of light from an IMR cell, (not that I really need that), pretty much perfect UI, cons might be size as well as PWM if it has that.
Also Lumapower Incendio is still on the list.

I can second the D25C as well if your willing to deal with the the reverse clicky(only reason I didnt recommend it). It is my main EDC(I have the Nichia 219 version) and it is quite a nice light. Also, as for the modes, it has a last mode memory that can be turned off or on too so it can always start in hi if you turn it off in high as well.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
So, I just ordered an MT10C and the 2014 D25C Clicky Ti XM-L CW. I only wanted to order one of them, but the D25C Ti was on sale for about 50€ (~56 USD), so I decided to order both and will send one back...

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I just ordered an MT10C and the 2014 D25C Clicky Ti XM-L CW. I only wanted to order one of them, but the D25C Ti was on sale for about 50€ (~56 USD), so I decided to order both and will send one back...

Good idea and nice choices. You should like the MT10C. I have the MH20 and it is a great light.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I don't know what folks have about tail-buttons.

Some individuals don't care for having to twist the head of a flashlight multiple times to access the various modes in the case of twisty lights... And with the side-switch lights, it's a matter of always having to properly orient the flashlight in your hand when you retrieve it from your pocket and handle it... With tail buttons you always have a feel for the button/switch and when holding the flashlight it is more convenient to cycle through the various modes ... As with everything, it comes down to a matter of personal preference...

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Saeckereier rumor has it that Fenix should be announcing some new products in another week or so... I am waiting to see if they will release an updated version of the LD12 (single AA light)... It's a forward clicky with mode-memory and the high mode will exceed 100 lumens ... I have the current version of the light and enjoy it quite a bit... I do understand that a CR123 light should give you extended runtimes and potentially a higher output...

1DaveN

Enlightened
Fenix PD25

Forward clicky and has last mode memory so will always come on in turbo as long as you turn it off in turbo. Cool white only unfortunately.

I was determined to get a smaller light - Olight S1 or Fenix E15 - but I'm really glad I got the PD25. It's the perfect size in my hand compared to something smaller. The PD25 and PD35 are the two lights I'd never give up, but the PD25 gets the most use by a long shot.