Modding Maglite into search & rescue light - some Q's about drivers and switches

bammo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Looking to build a modded Maglite. Intent is for a high output light for doing short-duration searching in thick grass so battery life not a major factor and doesn't need to be too small.

I have a XM-L T6 3-LED 5-Mode 1800LM reflector (http://www.dx.com/p/xm-l-t6-3-led-5...op-in-led-module-w-temperature-control-114013) , a stack of 3/4/5 D cell Maglite bodies, a bunch of 26650 5000mAh cells + a lathe.

I'm a bit confused by this reflector: the DX website pretty explicitly states that is does 5 modes and has a digital regulator but there is nothing in the packaging to show how this works and no external connectors except the spring terminals on the unit.

Does this actually have a driver circuit in it? Not at all obvious from an external inspection though the description is pretty specific. If so, any idea what type of switch I should use with it? Can I use the stock maglite switch or does it need to be modded as per http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mod-(8-brightness-levels)&p=618553#post618553

Thanks guys...

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modding Maglite into search & rescue light - some Q's about drivers and switches

That's a self contained drop in. So it needs no additional driver. It'll have a spring at the back to contact your battery +ve.
You need someone other than me to tell you if the stock Mag switch is up to the current draw, as all my Mags are collecting dust.
P

bammo

Newly Enlightened
Re: Modding Maglite into search & rescue light - some Q's about drivers and switches

Thanks Peter - I originally ordered it assuming there was a built-in driver but had assumed there would be some sort of documentation with it so started to worry it wasn't!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

those are horrible drop ins, rule of the tumb, if you see xml t6 from chinise seller 99,9% chance it is lattice bright leds, aka fake xml.
also heat dissapation is horrible in those drop ins, especially in maglite. brass pills, no good heat path.

if you want have access to lathe and know who to use it, do not waste your time on these drop ins. do it the right way, turn a proper heatsink on a lathe, an aluminum cylinder that fits into magtube tight about 1\2-3\4in tall, with xhp70, on one side, and good reliable driver on the other, stock mag switch is capable of 5A, use stock reflector, just cut off cam portion. there are quite a few how to threads on this subject here.