Single mode lights - what advantage?

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I checked and didn't find a thread dedicated to this topic so here goes.....

There are still plenty of single mode lights (only one lumen level) on the market. Malkoff M61 and E2T Scout Head come to mind.

My question is: what would be the advantage of a single mode over a multimode light? Using my Surefire 6P with M61W I've actually come to appreciate the single mode due to:

simplicity - I always know what mode it will come on in
durability - are they actually more durable without the fancy electronics and switches needed for multimode?
self defense - I can count on it coming in on high when I hit the button

Any one else like single mode lights? I'd love to hear your thoughts.....

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You pretty much so nailed it.
Durability: Some singles may have what could be conceived as fancy electronics to some folks.
I would maybe add nostalgia to the list.

and Welcome to CPF.

archimedes

Flashaholic
My question is: what would be the advantage of a single mode over a multimode light? ....

....I always know what mode it will come on in

Yes

.... are they actually more durable without the fancy electronics and switches needed for multimode?

Yeah

.... I can count on it coming in on high when I hit the button

Yep

Any one else like single mode lights? I'd love to hear your thoughts.....

Me too ... :)

Single mode (pre-QTC) Peak torches are among my favorites.

Malkoff, too, but most of those have a Hi/Lo ring installed :whistle:

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
single mode=not having to tap, twist, turn etc through other modes. Just turn the damn light on and there it is.

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
When I got my Preon I immediately set it to the brightest only mode.

For my EDC purpose I feel like 100 lumens is just right. Not blinding but plenty of light.

So yes.

One mode is perfect. On means light. Off means dark.

Ahhh....It's the simple things in life...

On the other hand I love that I can program it quickly and easily if I ever find that I need another mode.

Bottom line is that I want the choice but most times I will take a single mode.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
In general, I prefer multi mode lights because they're more versatile. And for me, playing with the modes is part of the fun of the hobby.

But the notable exception is budget lights. I'd rather have a single output than have to deal with a bad UI and/or bad PWM. One glaring example that sticks in my mind was a 3D Defiant light I got from Home Depot a few years back. It had the worst UI ever... IIRC, it was Low-High-Strobe, and it would always come on in the NEXT mode no matter how long it had been off. So if you turned it off in high and picked it up the next day, you'd get strobed. You had to go through strobe and low to get back to high. If you wanted it to come on in low, you had to remember to turn it off in strobe. Horrible. And low mode was slow, noticeable PWM that made it sort of like having FastStrobe-High-SlowStrobe as the mode order. Anywho, the main saving grace of the light was that the head, pill, etc. was all just threaded together, and all the components were really oversized. So it took about 15 minutes to disassemble and modify to run direct drive by resoldering a couple of connections. As a single mode light, it was a fun (though clunky) thrower. As a multi mode light, it was just the worst. I think there are a few other examples like that in the budget realm.

man_o'_sand

Newly Enlightened
Thing I dig about single-mode lights is that they're task specific. And my tasks are scattered around my environment. Over the years I've ended up with lights placed here and there around the house, garage, music room, etc. The one I need is always there where I need it.

I like these fancy new multi-tech lights, too. Of course. :twothumbs

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like single mode lights for their simplicity. Sometimes I have problem with multimode lights when the levels are too close each other. A doubling is too close to really be sure if the light turns on at prefered mode, making me cycle through the steps every time to check. It should be at least 3 times difference, in my opinion.
Instead of using one multimode light you can carry a few with different brightness levels or beam profiles. For example in the left jacket pocket 100lm light and in the right pocket a 1000lm. And for even lower mode the keychain light. There are many alternatives and while a multimode light has its advantage single mode light has the advantage that it gives you a reason to get more lights. And more lights is always fun!

But to finish: the true advantage with single mode lights is that they are more reliable and you always know what brightness level you get. If I some time want to bring with me only one single mode light I consider for example Malkoff M61(W)L as a good compromise between brightness and runtime.

By the way: yesterday I received Rayus C01 AAA Nichia 219. Single mode at 29lm. Love it! It will replace Fenix LD01 SS as my keychain light.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hit switch, they come on. Heh, have a assorted P60 modules ranging from XRE to XML2 from different makers. Whats in my hosts? Old single mode XRE's and my one Malkoff (no ring). Mags in the house are all Malkoff XPG singles. Why not upgrade to newer and better? No need, these still work just fine.

Boko

Newly Enlightened
Single mode lights give you one less thing to have to make decisions about. I do the annual 100-mile walk with the Long Distance Walkers Association here in the UK, and it's hard enough to find your way across country in the dark, especially when you go into the second night without sleep, without thinking whether you need your light brighter or dimmer and how long the batteries are going to last. It's just good not to be able to think about it. My head torch of choice is an ancient Petzl Zoom with a single mode Mooz LED conversion from Custom Duo (Sadly no longer made) and the AA battery adaptor.The batteries last the first night, change them at dawn and you're good for the second night. Simple.
Same thing with bicycles. I changed my bike to a fixed wheel years ago and would never go back to gears. Less is really more sometimes.

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
Interesting thread. I've often wondered about it as well. I always prefer single mode lights. I think most people who need a flashlight prefer them. If you need light, single mode. If you need something to do, multi mode.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's my favorite UI. Along with the silence of a twisty switch.
On/off...simple as battery powered fire on a stick.

And if you want to sos or other morse code the guy on the other end isn't morse-ing back "what?" because your light dims or strobes with each momentary activation.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the advantage is for someone that just wants a dead simple light. On and off - that's it. That's probably the majority of all flashlight users.

Not ideal for me as I enjoy the multiple levels, but if I was looking for a light to put in the car or keep in a garage or furnace room I think it would fit the bill just fine.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I have a strict rule these days concerning flashlights with tail cap switches. It must be a forward clicky and it must allow one mode operation with that tail switch.

I have a few lights that are just straight up single mode(P60 mostly) and I have several more that have multimodes that can be changed with a side switch or a magnetic ring or a twist of the head, but all of them will allow the use of the tail switch without changing modes, I.e., momentary and on/off.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure a multimode light is fine for someone that only has one light, but for me, single mode all the way. Although, all my Malkoffs have a Hi/Lo ring, so I know what level they are going to switch on. I tend to use them at full power and just use low to prevent blinding myself. I have put a 3 mode HML P60 in my girl's handbag light, as it's tough enough to convince her to carry one light.
I'm afraid, despite Sound Engineering experience I have a mistrust of overcomplicating things with electronics when a basic piece of gear will do the same job without the chance of electronic failure. I don't use computers for live work as they can, and eventuallly will crash.
Just borrowed a Renault car while the truck is being fixed, there is so much to go wromg. No key, just a card. It won't start unless in Neutral and your foot is on the brake - I know that's safer, but in an emergency it's a PITA.
Analogue straight lines for me, except analogue sound is a sine wave of course, but you get my drift.
P

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father-in-law prefers cars with roll-down windows and a radio with a dial knob. To each their own. I've yet to have a multi-mode or infinite UI mode light break on me. I would reckon anyone who has a HDS light will speak to their sound build quality - much higher than many single mode lights.

If you think about it the most likely parts of any piece of equipment to break are the mechanical ones rather than the electronic ones. In a flashlight this places the major failure point at the switch. It can break any any type of light.

For that reason, I'll accept the argument of having a simple light that that just comes on at one level and is easy to use. But to say multi-mode makes a light less reliable is a harder argument for me to agree with.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single mode does have it's purpose:
in addition to what SOYCD says; many multi made lights can basically be set to a "single" mode type of operation. The HDS Rotary (one of my top 5 UIs) is a great example of that.
Depending on the UI, a few of the programable lights now can be programed, For Example, to five levels, two mode groups. You could even set a mode group to just a Single simple on and off. SO....you can have one light or drop in that has two modes: 1 mode with 5 levels moon too max, then a few taps later you can have a single level output set to the level of your choosing at that time. How could you ask for more? Ok, I know, so a few taps is difficult for some folks, but it should not be for a flashaholic. After all, these UIs are basically made for folks like us. I take great guilty pleasure reprogramming my lights. I usually program something like a Inside mode and a Outside mode, or Daytime mode and Night time. Thank you Dr. Jones and others.