Malkoff MDC owners - bezel ring question

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
A few questions on the MDC bezel ring:

What is the stock black one made of? Plastic?
Is there a way to unscrew / tighten the ring WITHOUT buying the special $20 bezel tool?
Does the bezel ring hold anything together in the head, ie. will the lens fall out if the bezel ring gets loose and falls out?

My bezel ring appears to be working itself out somehow and these questions popped into my head.

Thanks Malkoff experts!

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the stock one is made of nitrolon? Though not certain. I was able to remove mine with a larger pair of needle nose plyers. I don't remember if the lens would come out with the bezel ring off, I think it would. There is an o-ring between the lens and the bezel ring. I had to use a thinner o-ring with my crenulated bezel ring to get it to sit flush. It has one more thread than the stock one. Hope this helps you out a little.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I believe the stock one is made of nitrolon? Though not certain. I was able to remove mine with a larger pair of needle nose plyers. I don't remember if the lens would come out with the bezel ring off, I think it would. There is an o-ring between the lens and the bezel ring. I had to use a thinner o-ring with my crenulated bezel ring to get it to sit flush. It has one more thread than the stock one. Hope this helps you out a little.

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to wonder if the stock ring is made from aluminum - it looks like it has machine marks in it.

When installing your new crenelated bezel how tight did you put it on?

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
A few questions on the MDC bezel ring:

What is the stock black one made of? Plastic?
Is there a way to unscrew / tighten the ring WITHOUT buying the special $20 bezel tool?
Does the bezel ring hold anything together in the head, ie. will the lens fall out if the bezel ring gets loose and falls out?

My bezel ring appears to be working itself out somehow and these questions popped into my head.

Thanks Malkoff experts!
I used a thick rubber o-ring, the same size as the retaining ring. Placed on a flat surface on pushed the bezel onto it and twisted (counter clockwise). I wondered the same thing as you and came up w/ this. The lens does come out afterward.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to update this thread with some answers I found.

The stock bezel ring is definitely made of some sort of metal, probably aluminum. Upon removing mine I saw that some anodizing had worn off of the threads and exposed shiny metal underneath.

There is indeed an o-ring underneath the bezel ring, and it appears that the bezel ring does hold the lens (as well as the module?) in place.

I broke down and bought the MDC tool from Malkoff. Well worth it.

Latest posts