Click VS. Push Button

tylerhvac1989

Newly Enlightened
Just curious as to what everyone thinks. So pushbutton type tail cap or clicky? Do you prefer one over the other? If so, Why?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site hvac89.

You mean twisty momentary vs clicky?

Depends on the purpose of the light...I like twisty for it's silence and uber reliability for some of my lights.
Other lights require a clicky to work it's features. For many it's a 2 hand to activate a twisty so it's no longer popular...if it ever was. lol.

The o-ring of the better lights causes a twist with 1 hand to be labored. Clicky is just easier for most. And frankly...they're pretty reliable these days.

There is a fine line between setting the tailcap for easy/one hand twist without accidental turn on through jar-ing/bumping the light...a few degress twist one way or the other makes a big difference in that regard.

I do like some Streamlight UI's where momentary is always high and cycling is done after a click n hold or strobe is 2 quick clicks. (Stinger and Strion come to mind). You can still silently morse code or turn it into a map reader.

I also like the PowerTac way where you change settings via a nearby switch. Again silent morse code is available.
I think other makers have that set up too as PowerTac lights seem to mimic a few other brands with their own style of external features.

Other folks can chime in on their favorite UI's like magnetic rings etc. I'm not familiar with anything but twistys and clickys.
I think there are lights out there now that shut down by themselves and turn back on when you move it...

And there's no telling where the 'smart' light will go over time. You may be able to tell it a morse code or beacon, or adjustable stroke, or glove sensing...whatever using a cel phone on the other side of the planet someday...
Oh the practical jokes we could play with those babies...

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisty evey time, for preference without momentary. I've converted all my lights, bar one, to twisties. Even McClickies cop out occasionaly, and I find it very annoying. I like my lights to turn on and off EVERY time.
The only one with a McClicky is a Malkoff MD2 which I keep beside the bed with the head set to low. In the dark with a sleepy head on, it was too easy to turn it to high when using a twisty, not what you want at 2AM.
When I had half twisty and half McClicky lights, there was always a momentary "Twist or Click" question when I picked up a light.
I tend to have this tunnel vision about everything, sorry.
P
Edit: I lie, I have another McClicky on my big Hound Dog, that's 'cos I bought a lovely RPM Tail for it which won't take a ZeroRez, and I like the tail far too much not to use it. See, I can compromise.
P

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
And there's no telling where the 'smart' light will go over time. You may be able to tell it a morse code or beacon, or adjustable stroke, or glove sensing...whatever using a cel phone on the other side of the planet someday...
Oh the practical jokes we could play with those babies...
I read a post here a while ago, from someone wishing for a Touch Screen display on a light that told you what light level you were on. What's that about? Surely there's a visual indicator of light output on the front of every light in the world? If it's not bright enough, turn it up.
P

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Tell me about it.
P

You guys charge clickies to be less simple, or just modes in general?

For me time matters most. But I'm not that experienced with flashlights. None the less, it rolls into some of my other logic and philosophy with flashlights, I almost always carry multiple lights on me or have two on me and others near by. I have never not even once had a clicky fail me. I have seen a few lights with difficulties depressing the button, but I don't know what level of use/experience you have had for the switch itself in normal use fail. Technicalities come into play for what constitutes the switch failing, and the flashlight having problems recognizing the switch because of wear or contacts. Eg. : a worn ratchet vs tailcap contact wear. These ideally happen at the same time. So it isn't worth it too care. Ratcheting has powered society for hundreds perhaps the last thousand years. Your average pen has smaller and cheaper ratchets than most lights yet, the pen can (with moderate abuse) operate for years.

I overall dislike the concept of digital switches, and of displays etc. because of runtime lag. Even an indicator light should be extremely dim (it is probably dark I would think) as to prevent interfering with my eyes and to prolong bat. Life. Back on topic, I think a ring has the same drawbacks as twisties.

Being all that, I don't actually dislike twisties. I have good finger control and no problem with one hand operation. I can for example one hand operate a mag light or similar size twist on. And the trick to momentary on (if the light has a fast response) is getting it to be barely off, then pushing the twist switch (if the head, you pull the head, at the angle of the contacts) together, and with practise Morse is possible.

I have never no not even once used Morse code with a flashlight. Other than SOS, not much use is predicted. Flashing and strobe is useful though. So still, no significant preference but all my lights happen to have clickies, and most my good ones are momentary on. Ratcheted contacts are stuff to avoid, because when the ratchet fails, you can't turn on the light, but most are spring/lock contacts with the ratchet going around/lock being on the outside for lock buttons. Digital often has lag. Digital have failed repeatedly over my life. Every digital switch I've owned has worn out and broken in two or three years, granted never paid more than $40 on lights I've used.

snakyjake

Enlightened
I will ONLY buy a rotary switch or a light with up/down button. Pushing buttons that only cycle through modes in one direction or with UI's that require a user guide are illogical. Most of the switches that people buy for lights are like a radio switch that when you are on medium loud, you have to go to very loud before you can get to quiet. And if you accidentally miss quiet, you have to cycle again. Nothing else in my house has a UI like those lights that make you cycle through all the modes.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will ONLY buy a rotary switch or a light with up/down button. Pushing buttons that only cycle through modes in one direction or with UI's that require a user guide are illogical. Most of the switches that people buy for lights are like a radio switch that when you are on medium loud, you have to go to very loud before you can get to quiet. And if you accidentally miss quiet, you have to cycle again. Nothing else in my house has a UI like those lights that make you cycle through all the modes.

If the radio had a mute button, would you consider that to be illogical?
I am not sure I fully followed you on your post.

I think the OP is asking if folks prefer a Forward Click vs Reverse Click. If so, and given those two options. I choose Forward click. I like having the option of Temporary on.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the OP is asking if folks prefer a Forward Click vs Reverse Click. If so, and given those two options. I choose Forward click. I like having the option of Temporary on.

I'm with you, Str8stroke. I realize a lot of the old timers really loved the innovation of reverse-clicky with moded lights, but I feel the loss of momentary-on was too big of a sacrifice, as momentary-off is purposeless but for mode advancement. I'm fine with choosing the mode before clicking on, or even clicking off, mode changing, then clicking on, and I wish more moded lights were forward-clicky. I'd really prefer 2-moded lights with McClicky switch, so both modes were available from momentary, but I don't know of any stock lights like that. I also am fond of simple twisties. Though I've never tried them, and initially I desired one, now I don't quite see the advantage of lights with any flavor of infintely variable brightness. Seems like those eliminate the possibility of accurately estimating runtime capacity.

MX421

Enlightened

+1 on forward clicky, this is my preferred UI for middle of the night emergencies.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on forward clicky, this is my preferred UI for middle of the night emergencies.
:thumbsup:

I guess to be fair, each has its own Pros and Cons. In most cases it is personal preference. But, there are those cases where a Reverse is necessary. I don't want to derail the OPs thread: However, I should have said my favorite light that has a Forward Click as part of its UI is the HDS Rotary. IMHO: A perfect use of Forward click UI. Just throwing that out there.