35W HID Long Throw. Is it possible?

ZizzyDizzyMC

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I'm new to the forums as a registered user.

My name is Zack and I live in (somewhat) rural Michigan, USA. With this out of the way.. On to business.

I happened to have acquired about 20 HID + Ballast sets of 35W and 25W. They were thrown away due to a defect in their reflectors. (air leaks, not weather proof.)

Below are photos of what I got.
DSCN5222.JPG

And of the bulb:

DSCN5226.JPG

And the backside of the Ballast:
DSCN5223.JPG

And... my whole set up right now.

DSCN5228.JPG

I don't really know where to start to get a reflector or make a reflector for this kind of bulb and wanted to know if someone could steer me in the right direction to make a long-throw light out of this.
I have a lot available to me except a metal-rolling machine. (Wouldn't that be perfect for a reflector...)
What kind of a metal shop I got:
Manual lathe, mill, surface grinder, drill press. Along with many hand tools like drills and grinders ect.

Of course if I'm just blind and I could buy a reflector for this bulb let me know! I'd love to post beamshots if I ever get it to be a long thrower.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I can't see exactly what kind of bulb type those are, but there are TONS of handheld spotlights that use automotive style halogen and HID bulbs, not to mention the bulbs can always be replaced with one that fits a stock light host.... These will be you're most affordable and user friendly starting points, then experiment from there as far as custom builds go.

EasyB

Newly Enlightened
I think it would be very difficult to make a good reflector yourself. Check out phoenix electroformed products. They have very nice parabolic reflectors in various sizes for reasonable prices. If you want throw, a bigger and deeper reflector will provide that. I modified a light with a 55W HID and reflector from phoenix that might be along the lines of what you want to do. I haven't gotten around to doing long distance beamshots yet.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?414386-Homemade-HID-mod