Too many batteries (and lights)--What do you do?

IamMatt

Newly Enlightened
I was doing a little sorting and gathering and found I have about 75 AA NiMH cells (Duraloop type), mostly used; about the same number of new AA Engergizer Ultimate Lithium AA cells (expiring in 2 years); maybe 24 good AA alkalines; and about the same number of good/new AAA alkalines. Geez, what do I need with all these batteries?

I use rechargeables almost exclusively (and mostly sizes other than AAs) so all those lithium and alkaline cells have nowhere to go, other than the kitchen clock or TV remotes. I am not just going to load up every light I own with batteries because I couldn't possibly use them up before they die.

What would you do in my situation? I am thinking:

1) Switch from using AA rechargeables to primaries til I burn through most of the primaries (still leaves me with a ton of Dualoops);

2) Remove light bulbs from house; buy 20 sk68 clones and use them in candle mode instead of the house lights till the primaries are gone, then switch them to Duraloops til they all die. Save on electric bill (now I have 20 SK 68s I don't need).

3) Sell the AA Lithiums here to someone who burns through them; use the money to buy more lights (little downside but still leaves me with a ton of Duraloops).

4) Offer to send of a bunch of my used NiMH and new lithium batteries and a bunch of my old unused lights to a modder in exchange for him/her modding a couple of the lights and sending them back while keeping the rest for projects.

In all seriousness, these batteries will go to waste and die before I use them, which seems a change. I am legitimately looking for a practical solution. Upon review, #4 sounds like the most fun, but I don't know if it is practical. Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
As for the lithium batteries they should be fine even expiring for years and years as they "upped" the life of them from about 10-15 years to I think 20-25 now they don't magically go "poof" when they hit the date, no batteries do that but in my experience alkalines that get older the AA/AAA variety have an increased chance of leaking when they get within a year or two of expiring. I think you could easily find folks interested in the lithium and duraloops in the forum but the alkalines you may be better off finding someone local to donate or trade with as like you most in the forum have drifted away from them with the exception of those storing them for emergencies and often those people want fresh ones and burn through older ones somehow to keep them so.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to ask why did you buy so many in the first place? 75 NiMH:huh: Were you planning using 30 lights daily for many hours at a time or what?:thinking: You do know they are rechargeable right lol? I suggest giving a bunch away so they dont go to waste. And, dont go so nuts next time and try thinking about the environment. Only buy what you need for your daily uses and just recharge as needed. That way you have fresh cells all the time and save a bunch of money too:thumbsup:

IamMatt

Newly Enlightened
I have to ask why did you buy so many in the first place?

Probably the same reason I have bought dozens of flashlights lol. In my defense, when I bought them, I was using a digital camera for work that took 4 X AA and I wanted to have two spare sets charged at all times, plus my lights were mostly AA back then, so that would explain a couple of dozen. As I have transitioned to more 16340 and 18650 lights I have been more conservative in my acquisition, so I guess I have learned.

MrJino

Enlightened
Seal them in a vacuum pack and bury them in the yard for emergency purposes. Though I dont know if they would explode if they leaked or something. Maybe away from gas and water lines haha.

I had about a dozen lights laying around, gifted them or hid them in some emergency backpacks.

Now I just have 3 main lights and a few batteries in rotation.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give them away. I have given away excess batteries and flashlights to friends and neighbors. I have even given flashlights to waiters and waitresses as tips as restaurants, to store staff for help in loading heavy items into my truck, etc.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I have to ask why did you buy so many in the first place? 75 NiMH:huh:

Seems perfectly reasonable ;)

I have 56 AA NiMH. My camera strobe takes 4AA; with spare sets, and another four in an audio recorder, it adds up. Then factor in the flashlights, and 56 doesn't seem like too many. I could easily find uses for 70+ AA NiMH. Though that would probably turn my semi-annual Battery Charging Saturday into Battery Charging Weekend …

DeeFff

Newly Enlightened
Seems perfectly reasonable ;)

+1

Inside weather station (4), three remote sensors for same (6), outside weather station (3), remote sensor for same (2), thermometer/hygrometer (2), remote thermo/hygro pair (4), two wall clocks (2), P-Touch label printer (6), infrared remote (4), two Speedlights (8), flashlights (19), spares/ready-to-use (12). 72 AA batteries is not too many.

I know some people don't advise NiMH in low drain devices, but I don't mind.

Anyway, give away your extras; your neighbors can use 'em.

Last edited: